2013 Beer Awards

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMack1

Reaction score
I'm a sucker for lists, so I thought it would be fun to put together a 2013 Best of Beer Awards program.

Potential Categories (suggestions welcome):

• Beer of the Year
  • Best Brewery
  • Best Brewer
  • Best New Brewery
  • Best Brewpub to visit
  • Others?

Still three months to go in the year, but I'm fairly certain my vote won't change:

Beer of the Year for me has to go to Kentucky Brunch Brand Stout from Toppling Goliath.

What say you? What others would you add to the top 5?

New category:
Best beer that has been smuggled out of an establishment via some action that transpired in a bathroom stall.

There are some top candidates for this coming from Wakefield, Pegs and Pizza Boy

•Beer of the Year - So far for me it's been Fou Foune
•Best Brewery - Columbus Brewing Co - everything is top notch
•Best Brewer - Eric Bean
•Best New Brewery - Jack Abby's
•Best Brewpub to visit - Columbus Brewing Co

• Beer of the Year - Bruery Bois (Rye Barrel Aged version)
  • Best Brewery - Cascade
  • Best Brewer - I fail to see how the answer to this can differ from the answer to the above
  • Best Brewpub to visit - Hopcat

Beer- blendiculous. Under the radar gem. ****ing world class, but not a surprise coming from Steven at Old Hick. Dude needs to make more barleywines.
Brewery- FW continually fails to dissapoint at it's pricepoint and widespread availabilty.
Brewer-Shaun. Shaun is the best brewer.
New Brewery-Jacks Abby. Out of the new operations I've had (which obviously leaves out quite a few strong contenders) these guys are tearing it up. What impresses me tye most is the number of beers they pump out that are all fantastic. As soon as one great offering becomes tough to find, there's another one right behind it, fresh and high quality. Now with 6 packs on shelves for 9-11 bucks, and dabbling in sours, they are the total package.
Brewpub-haven't been to many this year, but keep an eye on Wicked Weed. I've had their stuff and it's rock solid. Just what Asheville needs.

Question for beer of the year: is this supposed to be the best beer we drank this year, the best beer released this year, or the best new beer (so for instance "Chocolate Rain 2013") wouldn't be a candidate for "beer of the year"?

Perhaps one idea might be to have both "Beer of the year" (wide latitude) and "Best new beer" (where that specifically must be a new release from 2013).

Beer of the Year: Voodoo's Pappy Black Magick
Best Brewery: Crooked Stave
Best Brewer: Shaun Hill & Chad Yacobson
Best New Brewery: Dunno..
Best Brew Pub: Haven't been to too many new ones this year but... Peekskill Brewing

Beer of the Year: Dunham / Kissmeyer Leo's Early Breakfast IPA
Best Brewery: Dunham
Best New Brewery: Beyond the Pale
Best Brew Pub: Brasserie Benelux

Best list, Florida:

Best Beer: Cycle - RareR D.O.S/CCB - Capricho Batch 6
Brewery: Cigar City
Brewer: Wayne Wambles
New Brewery: Rapp Brewery
Brewpub: Peg's

New category:
Best beer that has been smuggled out of an establishment via some action that transpired in a bathroom stall.

There are some top candidates for this coming from Wakefield, Pegs and Pizza Boy

I had some niceness from NEBCO this way and helped buddy trade some BA Ten Fidy that hit town as a DONG.

I'll play, but "new" brewery needs to be specified more clearly

Best Beer: HF Madness & Civilization 1 / Bourbon County Vanilla
Brewery: HF
Brewer: Shaun Hill
New Brewery: Tired Hands?
Brewpub: Tired Hands

Really? They make one good beer and a bunch of mediocre crap. Not to mention their Cuvee de Tomme knock off was just an absolute turd in a punch bowl.
That's a lot of anger man...... I liked the cuvée de tetreault, it's a 3.98 on BA, turd might be a bit harsh. All of their IPAs/APAs have been very good to excellent. Culture club and wake robin, IMO, are their only bad beers.

That's a lot of anger man...... I liked the cuvée de tetreault, it's a 3.98 on BA, turd might be a bit harsh. All of their IPAs/APAs have been very good to excellent. Culture club and wake robin, IMO, are their only bad beers.

No anger here, I just don't think they're very good, especially at their prices. I honestly think their ratings are inflated because people in Boston are desperate to have their own Hill Farmstead-esque brewery that doesn't require a 4 hour drive. I like Fort Point Pale and Sunshower was ok, but everything else has been mediocre at best. I thought Bug Valley, Culture Club, New England Red, and Cuvee de Teteault were all terrible. A few friends loved CdT, but I thought it was a poor man's Cuvee de Tomme. To each their own I suppose, I'm just surprised people seem to be all in on Trillium when I've felt their lacking truly tasty beers.

No anger here, I just don't think they're very good, especially at their prices. I honestly think their ratings are inflated because people in Boston are desperate to have their own Hill Farmstead-esque brewery that doesn't require a 4 hour drive. I like Fort Point Pale and Sunshower was ok, but everything else has been mediocre at best. I thought Bug Valley, Culture Club, New England Red, and Cuvee de Teteault were all terrible. A few friends loved CdT, but I thought it was a poor man's Cuvee de Tomme. To each their own I suppose, I'm just surprised people seem to be all in on Trillium when I've felt their lacking truly tasty beers.
I have a buddy who thinks trillium is HF level. It's not. I almost said treehouse as best new brewery, but they don't have the range that I think trillium does. You are correct that a lot of their beers are hyped due to Boston locals, but I still believe they are excellent with hoppy stuff. I'm sure there are better new breweries in other areas, I just don't have experience with them to judge. To me, trillium is the best new brewery that I have access to.

Still sippin the haterade I see. I haven't cared to much for their wilds but all the hoppy pales and new IPA have been pretty damn good. They are probably starting to look like a one trick pony but I don't mind a good local beer like that. As for prices they are a couple dollars cheaper than getting a comparable 1L fill at HF. And they are cheaper, I think at least in terms of quality, than night shift which is starting to look like a joke now.

Still sippin the haterade I see. I haven't cared to much for their wilds but all the hoppy pales and new IPA have been pretty damn good. They are probably starting to look like a one trick pony but I don't mind a good local beer like that. As for prices they are a couple dollars cheaper than getting a comparable 1L fill at HF. And they are cheaper, I think at least in terms of quality, than night shift which is starting to look like a joke now.

You told me Lynn was legit. I didn't care for it, safe to say it's Struise Witte from here on out for me.

You told me Lynn was legit. I didn't care for it, safe to say it's Struise Witte from here on out for me.
If only buying witte by the case didn't require purchasing dirty horse I could try a real beer. I'll settle for growlers of sulfur bombed trillium saisons I guess.

Question for beer of the year: is this supposed to be the best beer we drank this year, the best beer released this year, or the best new beer (so for instance "Chocolate Rain 2013") wouldn't be a candidate for "beer of the year"?

Perhaps one idea might be to have both "Beer of the year" (wide latitude) and "Best new beer" (where that specifically must be a new release from 2013).
In my view, it should either be a new beer, or a new batch of an existing beer.

Beer of the Year - morning delight, sour in the rye with kumquats, lagunitas rye barrel aged cappuccino stout
Best Brewery - townhall, tg, indeed
Best New Brewery - hammerheart
Best Brewpub to visit - townhall

Best Beer-Maine Lunch. Really suprised at how good was. Surpassed Heady & Pliny.

Best Brewery-Clown Shoes. There was a thread on BA were a poster got screw out of trade and one of the beer was a Clown Shoes, other BA postet just ragging on Clown Shoe for no reason but a rep from Clown Shoe saw the thread and sent the thread starter a box full of the stout line up for no reason other than TS really wanted to try it.

I am not really up on the brewers and only been to the local breweries and brewpups. So La Cumbre get best Brewpup and Jeff get best Brewer, cause I emailed La Cumbre one day and told them i was looking at get a kegerator and wanted to served their stout, so what psi does it need to be and if it took beer gas or CO2. Jeff replay back to me and told no beer gas and 14psi but even offered to help me with chosing a kegerator and told me come downa he would walk me though building of if i wanted to. Really cool of him to offer his time to someone he never meet before, so that get him Best brewer,IMO and a real loyal customer.

Latest posts

Back