Beer Books

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanajibu

Reaction score
I was looking to start reading some beer books. This thread isn't just for me though. List your favorite beer books and why/what you love about it? I really only know about Stone's (Greg Koch's) and Sam Calagione's books. Feel free to include cider books to, at least for me. I would say I am interested in more of the history and good stories than brewery-specific books.

MIKKELLER-Big-Worster.jpg

I'm currently reading Beyond the Pale about Sierra Nevada. Pretty interesting read, and it's pretty amazing thinking they're as huge as they are. It seems like there were multiple times in the early days when they easily could have gone out of business, but they somehow made it out.

Complete Beer Course is good for a n00b that needs info a mile wide and 2 inches deep.

I will third what Sage and minnesotaryan have already said, Tasting Beer by Randy Mosher is a great book. I especially recommend it for newish beer geeks.

From a hombrewing perspective, of course there is How To Brew. A must read. I just started Yeast: The Pratical Guide to Fermentation which is solid so far. The Oxford Companion to Beer is pretty cool, just expensive

Mitch Steele's IPA book is great.

I tried to read The Audacity of Hops and the first half of it is very interesting, because it has a narrative arc of just a few pioneering craft breweries, as well as the AHA and GABF, but turns into a textbook with a little history of all the other more recent breweries broken out into little chapters. It rapidly goes from compelling to slogging, but is informative.

Also yes on Brewing Better Beer by Gordon Strong.

Brew Like a Monk by Stan Hieronymus is a good book too if you are interested in Belgian brewing.

Back