Bourbon County 2014 variants discussed with Brett Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falc0n26001

Reaction score
http://www.abvchicago.com/?p=690

Looks like:

Prop is gonna be:
On the topic of high bars, Porter revealed that this year’s Proprietor’s variant of Bourbon County will likely eclipse the highly-regarded toasted coconut version from last year. This year’s version will include unrefined Mexican sugar that’s made into a syrup with coconut water, Cassia bark (which is basically cinnamon with richer flavor) and Ugandan Chocolate nibs.

Vanilla!:
This year we’ll see the return of Bourbon County Vanilla.

“Everyone wants the stuff, so we decided we’d bend.”

But don’t expect the same beer as was released in 2010. “We’re going to throw away the damn recipe book. We’re going to do a better job than we did before.”

They did extensive research and hands-on exploration of the capabilities of the vanilla bean before deciding on the right mixture for the stout. Early on, Porter was leaning towards the notoriously-expensive Tahitian vanilla bean.

“Expense be spared – we don’t care what the stuff costs. We’re going to pick the best stuff.”

In the end, they preferred the flavor of Mexican and Madagascar vanilla beans, $50,000 worth of which are “on the premises”, he lightly boasted.

Coffee will use Rwandan beans:
The 2014 iteration of the Bourbon County coffee variant will feature Rwandan coffee beans that were chosen with the help of their longtime collaborators (and neighbors), Intelligentsia, for whom Porter has tremendous admiration.

“They understand that telling a story is an important part of the product. And they also understand that where they choose to do business can have a profound effect on peoples’ lives.”

For the selection of this year’s version of the coffee stout, Porter was committed to choosing the best available bean, even though one choice was more sentimental. “We were worried that we were picking the Rwandan coffee because we liked the story so much. Talk about lives changing, there. [Intelligentsia] has done a great deal to revive the Rwandan coffee industry.”

In a blind tasting with another favored bean, they found that the Rwandan variety truly was the better selection. “Our hearts and taste buds were going in the same direction.”

They mentioned they are also working on a new version of the "never gonna be made again" Rare, but it's not gonna be ready for awhile:

Another thing that should get patient Bourbon County fans excited is the somewhat-distant, somewhat-return of the elusive Bourbon County Rare, which Brett admits won’t really be the same beer ever again. For this version, they’ve obtained older barrels – some filled in 1978 – that Porter says will “make the Pappy barrels seem like youngsters.” The barrels have been filled, and they plan on holding on to them for a few years before releasing anything in bottles. At this point, he’s not sure of a name, but he’s certain it won’t be called “Rarer,” which sounds like something you’d slur out after a few glasses of Rare.

So Coconut Huna and Vanilla?

birdmanhands.gif

Chicago Black Friday part 2. My buddy wants to go again. Woot

Remember how you barely got anything last time? It's going to be a million times worse this year. All the 2012-2014 Chicago cicerones that never got a chance to try BCBVS are going to lose their mind trying to acquire it.

Remember how you barely got anything last time? It's going to be a million times worse this year. All the 2012-2014 Chicago cicerones that never got a chance to try BCBVS are going to lose their mind trying to acquire it.

Calling first legit newsworthy beer-related beat down or death.

Yeh... That was kinda janky... but spreading out the releases also helped my wallet, lol.
Haha agreed. Never saw the Backyard though which is incredibly disappointing since it is one of my favorite beers ever. Only managed to have it at Hay Merchant and get one bottle that I will probably never open since I would then cry about not having any more left...:(:(:(:(

$50,000 worth of vanilla beans? Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn dats nice. Since GI is owned by InBev does that mean that Brett Porter can just call someone and say "hey we're gonna purchase 50 grand worth of vanilla beans, got it?" and then they say back "I don't give a ****, just make us some damn money."

$50,000 worth of vanilla beans? Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn dats nice. Since GI is owned by InBev does that mean that Brett Porter can just call someone and say "hey we're gonna purchase 50 grand worth of vanilla beans, got it?" and then they say back "I don't give a ****, just make us some damn money."
It means you'll probably have to sell a kidney to have enough cash to purchase a bottle.

Sounds about right. I wonder if the plan is to make as much 'nilla this year as Backyard last year. If so, HNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

$32 bottles of Vanilla BCS.

$32 bottles of Vanilla BCS.

Fair price is fair. I'd still buy at $32, maybe even at a marginally higher price. There are plenty of God-Tier™ beers at that price point. Maybe at $32, it would keep some of the hoarders and "gotta have it for my trade partner" types at bay.

Back