Bruery Societies 2015 Allocations/Discussion Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarRaptor1

Reaction score
Yesterday while brewing my last beer on 2014 I got my welcome to 2015 Hoarders Society packet from the Bruery.

Pretty standard stuff; membership card, welcome packet. a nice sticker for my fridge and what at first I thought was nothing more than bookmarks were actually coupons for two tasters 1 per quarter, which I thought was pretty cool.

16166663971_77fb8716bd_b.jpg

I figured why not start a thread for 2015 to get things started fresh.

For returning society members what beers are people most looking forward to trying this year? For me Black Tuesday Reserve sounds pretty tasty

I'm most looking forward to Arrrggghhh!

Then getting an email from them in the middle of a pairing email telling me its infected.

By far their biggest marketing / public relations fail ever. Whoever their head of marketing is needs to no longer be their head of marketing

By far their biggest marketing / public relations fail ever. Whoever their head of marketing is needs to no longer be their head of marketing
They've done a lot of little things in their marketing and communication that really make me wonder who's driving the bus on that front. The **** decision was the most egregious, but forgetting to change titles from month to month, mistakes in templates, inconsistencies between the email blasts and the e-commerce site, misspellings and grammatical errors...all of these things take a huge back seat to the beer itself, but they're little things that are so easy to get right, yet kept getting missed. The pairings emails are mildly interesting, but I'd rather they try to do less things and do them all correctly than do a ton of communication and end up making mistakes.

Then again, that same philosophy could be applied to their brewhouse with some of the ideas they tried this year, so maybe it's a philosophical issue throughout the organization.

So here is some positivity for The Bruery (or at least the Reserve Society crew).

Messed up my knee at Dark Horse 4 Elf and as a result didn't open the 3 boxes of Bruery stuff my trustee sent me which was supposed to include x3 bottles of BA 6 Geese (x2 from the hoarders membership, x1 I purchased).

Get around to opening it on New Years, realize I was sent x3 bottles of 6 Geese that wasn't barrel aged. Quick email and pictures with a bit of background and I got a response today settling the issue.

While there is a lot of things I've disliked about my experience as a Reserve / Hoarders member, at the very least they've been up front and honest and have taken accountability for infected beers.

Glad I renewed for 2015 (albeit as part of a 4 person group instead a 2 person team).

I'm looking forward to the terreux sours most of all. I consistently find myself staring at my cellar with a number of huge abv stouts, yet I usually end up grabbing sours more and more (which the wife likes too).

I'm curious about the "toast char" and 6/12/18 aged beer experiments, but honestly I think that I'd just like to try those in the tasting room. I don't really see myself buying those unless one of them just blows me away.

Mocha Wed ($33.99) and Chronology:6 ($21.24) are up for RS.

Chronology:6 is the first in a 4 part experiment with barrels and time. We brewed a beer rich and malty with undertones of brown sugar, toffee and toasted French bread and set it to age in bourbon barrels. Every six months we'll take a quarter of the barrels, blend them and bottle them. This first bottling represents the flavors imparted in the base beer after 6 months of barrel aging.

Society Exclusive
RS/HS limit: 2/4 Bottles
Available for pickup now

Mocha: RS/HS limit: 2/4 Bottles

looks like beers are up for sale. I'd expect about 3-4 per month but seems like its only 2 this month unless some go up later

Surprised to not see Sour in the Rye, that has been a January beer the last couple years.

oh no, start the infection rumors :rolleyes:
Contrary to my general thoughts about the Bruery's performance, that wasn't a loaded comment - I just assumed that Sour in the Rye would be part of the allocation since it has been a January release for a while now.

Contrary to my general thoughts about the Bruery's performance, that wasn't a loaded comment - I just assumed that Sour in the Rye would be part of the allocation since it has been a January release for a while now.

I understand, I was just making a weak attempt at the "infected sour" joke.

I dont see the initial beers (Included in your initial package will be: 2 bottles of Black Tuedsay™ Port Barrel Aged, 2 bottles of Black Tuesday™ Madeira Barrel Aged, and 3 bottles of Mocha Wednesday™ along with a brand new Hoarders Society growler.) on the site. Anyone see these?

I dont see the initial beers (Included in your initial package will be: 2 bottles of Black Tuedsay™ Port Barrel Aged, 2 bottles of Black Tuesday™ Madeira Barrel Aged, and 3 bottles of Mocha Wednesday™ along with a brand new Hoarders Society growler.) on the site. Anyone see these?
They're not doing extra sales of PBT or MBT.

Are they really not doing an anniversary beer this year?
all woopsie sour jokes aside id really like to know this as well because intihar'n bruiversary beers solo has been my favorite thing about being a member :/

im thinking this new chronological series is suppose to be the distraction that hey, they are doing this instead now

sad stakem is sad

though, my wallet appreciates not having to buy 327 different barrel variations of anniversary beers

Just noticed no Oude Tart w/ Cherry this year. And Oude Tart w/ Boysenberry not an exclusive? Much confuse.

Maybe they didn't include it in the email because it's not an exclusive and they'll still have it up on the site. I feel like there were some other general release beers they did that last year with too.

Maybe they didn't include it in the email because it's not an exclusive and they'll still have it up on the site. I feel like there were some other general release beers they did that last year with too.
Yeah, they did that with Rueuze in 2014 and looking at the HS Booklet, SitR isn't even listed as an allocation (SitR w/ Peaches is, but not the base beer). I guess it will just show up on the site when it shows up.

I think the problem with their anniversary beers was that they make way too much so it sits around. They had Sucre up at the shop right up until New Years. I thought I heard that Chrono is the same beer, and the 16.5% ABV would be close enough to think that, and instead of different barrels they are doing different times.

it'd be interesting if they decided to abandon the whole "solera method" project though.

if it wasn't all used up in sucre there's got to be a glut of the beer left somewhere.

Remember there's also the "Arbre" series, which is some kind of beer aged in different barrel types. Wouldn't be shocked if that's basically a reboot of the Anniversary series.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't part of the hook on the anniversary series that it was a partial solera of previous years? Perhaps they completely ran out of stock of all the previous years and couldn't keep that going.

Remember there's also the "Arbre" series, which is some kind of beer aged in different barrel types. Wouldn't be shocked if that's basically a reboot of the Anniversary series.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't part of the hook on the anniversary series that it was a partial solera of previous years? Perhaps they completely ran out of stock of all the previous years and couldn't keep that going.
Arbre is different levels of char on an oak barrel. Which honestly sounds kinda awful since American Oak Bois was awful. Haven't had American Oak Sucre but I can't imagine it's that good either

Arbre is different levels of char on an oak barrel. Which honestly sounds kinda awful since American Oak Bois was awful. Haven't had American Oak Sucre but I can't imagine it's that good either

Ahh yes, I see that I misread the idea. New American Oak Sucre was decent from what I recall. Better than Tequila, worse than Rye.

Not how Solera works, you can't really "run out" unless you stop producing new batches.

Back