Chase Healey - Prairie Artisan Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How well does your beer sell in Latvia?

38M3RHh.jpg

I'm moving to steam. I've worked on both and the brewhouse in Krebs is steam. I honestly think it's better, just a little intimidating.

Follow up question from the other thread just to have them consolidated:

Are you moving to steam on the bigger one? If so, do you have concerns about that?
m

What is your favorite recipe that you've ever come up with, production or otherwise? What about your least favorite, or one that sounded great in your head that just didn't translate AT ALL?

I don't brew test batches. I just go for it really. My favorite recipe is an English bitter I just brewed. It's like 85% MO 7.5 C65 7.5 C120. All EKG hops and S-04. It's simple and elegant to me. I was brewing in London a couple of months ago, and this beer takes me back there. I keg it tomorrow.
What is your favorite recipe that you've ever come up with, production or otherwise? What about your least favorite, or one that sounded great in your head that just didn't translate AT ALL?

Your first beers arrived down under and people are already raving - should we expect to see more?

I hope so. People complain that I don't ship to there state with no real understanding of beer distribution. I send stuff to places like Australia because it sounds fun and I want to go there. I guess some brewers have a strategy in mind when they sell beer, I honestly just do what feels right.

In the US, I sell to the Shelton Brothers and they move my beer around. I don't have to register with each state or deal with wholesalers. It allows me to work on beers. This might sound like a terrible way to do things, but it's been working pretty well so far.

I hope so. People complain that I don't ship to there state with no real understanding of beer distribution. I send stuff to places like Australia because it sounds fun and I want to go there. I guess some brewers have a strategy in mind when they sell beer, I honestly just do what feels right.

In the US, I sell to the Shelton Brothers and they move my beer around. I don't have to register with each state or deal with wholesalers. It allows me to work on beers. This might sound like a terrible way to do things, but it's been working pretty well so far.

Your distributor does a great job here in Australia so I'm glad they got you on board. I've had a few things to do with them recently (buying beer off them, and they organised some international brewers to come on our podcast) and they are great to deal with. I hear the same from everyone that deals with them too.

If you do ever make it over, we'd love to have you on our show if you get the time.

I love Elizabeth 5. The yeast makes it. Ive read a little about it but can you tell me the story of that beer?

also the artwork is amazing on all Prairie beers. Same deal, whats the story?

Im
Your distributor does a great job here in Australia so I'm glad they got you on board. I've had a few things to do with them recently (buying beer off them, and they organised some international brewers to come on our podcast) and they are great to deal with. I hear the same from everyone that deals with them too.

If you do ever make it over, we'd love to have you on our show if you get the time.

I'm hoping to make it over there next year.

So after we all ruined a pair of pants with the announcement of the Dinosaur Teku a while back our dreams were crushed when we were told something about the design didn't work being printed on the glass. What was actually the problem with getting them printed?

I love Elizabeth 5. The yeast makes it. Ive read a little about it but can you tell me the story of that beer?

also the artwork is amazing on all Prairie beers. Same deal, whats the story?

The beer itself is Prairie Ale aged on apricots.

Eliza5beth is a beer I brewed for my sister. She was diagnosed with cancer last year and I wanted to help. With the sale of the beer, I was able to cover her medical bills and make a donation to the American Cancer Society. The doctors were aggressive and removed the cancer quickly.

Prior to the surgery I told my sister I was going to Italy in November to brew beer and pour at a festival. I told her I wanted her to come and that I would need her to plan the trip. This helped keep her mind off the cancer.

A few weeks prior to the trip she was cleared to go. It was a great trip. August 8th we'll celebrate her being 1 year cancer free with a party and a 9L of her beer.

My brother Colin is my art director. I honestly just let him do whatever he wants.

So after we all ruined a pair of pants with the announcement of the Dinosaur Teku a while back our dreams were crushed when we were told something about the design didn't work being printed on the glass. What was actually the problem with getting them printed?

My glass printer can only do 1 color on Teku.

Thanks for joining TalkBeer, chaseabeer! You've done quite a few collabs so far. Two questions:

1. who has been your favorite brewer to collaborate with
2. is there a new collaboration coming up or is there one you'd like to do?

I like working with Bob at Saint Somewhere. He's helped me a lot over the years in developing my farmhouse brewing. I like being in Florida and their easy going attitude.

I'm working on a few new things for later this year. We are working on some more stuff with Omnipollo which is sure to be awesome.

right on!

any chance you are coming out to FoFA again this year?

Also, you guys are branded very well.

Do you brew and and your Bro creates the label look and feel?

How do the beers get names?

I'm in retail and this type of stiff really interests me.

Also, you guys are branded very well.

Do you brew and and your Bro creates the label look and feel?

How do the beers get names?

I'm in retail and this type of stiff really interests me.

Thank you!

I come up with beers and their names. I then pass it on to my bro for design. Our process seems to allow us to both have a point of view in our beers.

Glad you made it over here. I know you were ridiculously busy before (not that you're really less busy now), but happy to see you answering questions here too.

Got a favorite yeast to work with? thanks for stopping by

I'm curious as to your thoughts on when to add additional yeast strains/species and other microbes and the impact it can have. My home-brew set-up as a beneficial wild brett contamination, and I've done batches some where I pitch a healthy sacch volume, let it reach a safe gravity, and then bottle conditioning, waking up the under-used brett strain to finish the job, some where I do near-equal volumes of everything in primary plus dregs (including from some of your beers), and some 100% brett.

This is a big, ramble question, but I'm basically curious as to your philosophy regarding the pros and cons of a true mixed fermentation versus a staged fermentation (sacch, then brett, then bugs, then bottling yeast, for example).

When's the collaboration with Jolly Pumpkin coming up?
Also, what's this about a coolship?
Thanks for taking the time to do this. Cheers from up north.

Ron has said he wants to do one around our shared love of skateboarding. Need to book that one soon. We did a small Coolship in the back of my pickup truck last winter. Kicking myself for only doing 5bbls.

I'm curious as to your thoughts on when to add additional yeast strains/species and other microbes and the impact it can have. My home-brew set-up as a beneficial wild brett contamination, and I've done batches some where I pitch a healthy sacch volume, let it reach a safe gravity, and then bottle conditioning, waking up the under-used brett strain to finish the job, some where I do near-equal volumes of everything in primary plus dregs (including from some of your beers), and some 100% brett.

This is a big, ramble question, but I'm basically curious as to your philosophy regarding the pros and cons of a true mixed fermentation versus a staged fermentation (sacch, then brett, then bugs, then bottling yeast, for example).

I'm a big supporter of bottle conditioning with Brett. I'm never really after Brett bombs, so I find this works well. Keep in mind the beer is below 1P at pitching.

Back