French Press vs Randal vs Strainer Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaddyPolite

Reaction score
Was going through the French Press and Randal thread, and thinking I needed to get into the "build your own BCBS variant" game. Alas, I do not have a french press, Randall Jr, or anything similar, although I do own a strainer.

For those that have been at this awhile, do you have any personal preference between the french press, Randall Jr., or something else? Or do they all basically yield similar results? I see some of the folks on this thread just mix/boil/press and then run through a strainer instead...

Basically wondering if any of these results in the best finished product or if it is a matter of convenience or what. I am likely gonna buy something so figured I would ask first.

Thanks for any info gents!

You can ask the folks in the French Press and Randal Thread ;)

But I mainly use the french press. I have not used a Randal Jr, but my friends who have say that it is not that different from using a French press. It all really depends on how you are infusing the beer. Some ingredients need to be heated to be incorporated, some just need slots of time, while others can be added straight to the beer, i.e. cold pressed coffee or induced CP coffee.

Another option that works really well is to get a bottle of BCBS (or similar) really cold to reduce loss of carbonation and add something straight to the bottle, like a vanilla bean or some cocoa nibs, and then recap it with a homebrew caper to sit over night in the fridge. Then open and enjoy!

I use a french press I got from Amazon. My trick is that I pour roughly 5 oz of beer into my french press with whatever I’m infusing it with, then recap the bottle and put it in the fridge while I wait ~30 minutes for the flavors to infuse at room temp in the press, then back-blend the bottle into the pressed beer. The idea is that anything in the french press will lose carbonation, so I try to use back-blending cold beer to add in dissolved CO2. Also, I find 5 oz to be a good balance because you want to go as low as possible, but if you go too low you run into solubility issues.

I’ve had very good results with this method, including coconut BCBS that tasted better than Propeechers.

I use a french press I got from Amazon. My trick is that I pour roughly 5 oz of beer into my french press with whatever I’m infusing it with, then recap the bottle and put it in the fridge while I wait ~30 minutes for the flavors to infuse at room temp in the press, then back-blend the bottle into the pressed beer. The idea is that anything in the french press will lose carbonation, so I try to use back-blending cold beer to add in dissolved CO2. Also, I find 5 oz to be a good balance because you want to go as low as possible, but if you go too low you run into solubility issues.

I’ve had very good results with this method, including coconut BCBS that tasted better than Propeechers.

i'm looking to get one from amazon, mind sharing a link?

I did coffee w a Westvleteren 12 and it was great, used about 5oz and ten "blended" the rest in as was suggested earlier. I was quite happy!

FINALLY got around to trying this. I brought 8-10 raspberries just to a boil at very low heat and mixed them with a splash of vanilla. After letting it chill, I added it to a french press with ~4 oz of BCBS, let it sit for several minutes, then pressed and poured into the remaining BCBS.

My god, it did not disappoint. I really love Backyard and this was just as good. Better actually, as the berry flavor was even juicier and fresher while the BCBS base was not lost in the mix at all. I do not regret trading for several bottles of Backyard but I think in the future I will stick with regular BCBS (much easier to acquire) and make my own.

I have never tried this before, and bought the french press just for this little experiment (the cheap little 3-cup Bodum Brazil model from Target mentioned above). I was prepared for disappointment, but this proved to be a very worthwhile endeavor. Very much looking forward to trying some new concoctions, and if anyone else has thought about trying this but never gotten around to it, I highly recommend giving it a try!

French Press works best because it emulsifies the oil from your adjuncts into the beer for a creamier texture. Randall seems like a waste of money given mason jars are $1 and coffee filters cost pennies.

I say go for french press because it is a versiltal kitchen tool. You can make coffee, tea, mayo, vinaigrette, froth milk, rise grains, strain anything, etc.

FINALLY got around to trying this. I brought 8-10 raspberries just to a boil at very low heat and mixed them with a splash of vanilla. After letting it chill, I added it to a french press with ~4 oz of BCBS, let it sit for several minutes, then pressed and poured into the remaining BCBS.

My god, it did not disappoint. I really love Backyard and this was just as good. Better actually, as the berry flavor was even juicier and fresher while the BCBS base was not lost in the mix at all. I do not regret trading for several bottles of Backyard but I think in the future I will stick with regular BCBS (much easier to acquire) and make my own.

I have never tried this before, and bought the french press just for this little experiment (the cheap little 3-cup Bodum Brazil model from Target mentioned above). I was prepared for disappointment, but this proved to be a very worthwhile endeavor. Very much looking forward to trying some new concoctions, and if anyone else has thought about trying this but never gotten around to it, I highly recommend giving it a try!

I did a simple home made Bramble in my newly acquired Bodum french press (it wound up tasting more like Backyard), without cooking anything and it still turned out great, with a '14 BCBS. Just put 7 raspberries and 5 blackberries in the press, muddled them and added BCBS and let it sit in the fridge for 15 mins or so, then pressed and poured. It came out pretty damn good. Looks like I'll be experimenting until further notice.

Definitely going to have to reduce some stuff and add it with its juices to brews as well.

Not exactly a French press/Randall but an infusion for sure. 1/2 bourbon soaked vanilla bean in each bottle, recapped with capper. Will report back

#forscience

Back