Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SourBrewer

Reaction score
So I read that WY3711 French Saison/Danstar Belle Saison were classified as a strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus. It is a superattenuating strain that gives off wicked flavors. While trying to find more info about it, I found this article about another strain of var. diastaticus found in Brazilian cassava flour factories:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC204282/

So I decided to see what I can isolate from this Brazilian cassava flour. I will update this thread with microscope and plate pics as I work on it. Hopefully, I will find a new Brazillian saison strain.

20141216_191902_zpsxgt4gf4b.jpg

Very curious to see if you are able to harvest anything. Also curious to see if the yeast has any awesome flavor/attenuation properties.

Very curious to see if you are able to harvest anything. Also curious to see if the yeast has any awesome flavor/attenuation properties.
As long as they didn't do some kind of cleaning treatment on their product, I am sure I will harvest something. Whether it's var diastaticus, I will probably will not know.

So far, no fermentation. Same goes for the Beersel Vielle OG dregs in the jar next to it, started at the same time.

Whether it's var diastaticus, I will probably will not know.

The assays they use in that paper are pretty simple stuff, so if you actually want a quantitative measurement of excreted amylotic activity, let me know, and I can measure it for you in the lab to see if you are in the ball park for what they measured in the paper.

Actually classifying the taxonomy on the other hand, while not hard, requires a **** load of different reagents and tests that I don't have access to. Without sequencing the genome though, its still a bit of a hand wavy way of classification (awaiting angry microbiologists with torches coming my way).

Stupid question, but did you just whip up some 1.040 wort using DME and some yeast nutrient and toss a handful of flour into the jar? Checking it daily by opening the jar and smelling it?

Gotta be the lack that's in that flour. I imagine you will probably have to separate the sacc from it somehow.

How?

I have no idea.
I will plate in on some agar plates and pull about 10 yeast colonies for single strain fermentations. Based on colony shape and color will identify which are yeast. From there I can put them under the microscope to see what shapes the colonies, from there ican use a best guess for species. Finally fermentation trials. It will takes several weeks to months. I will post pics as I go.

I will plate in on some agar plates and pull about 10 yeast colonies for single strain fermentations. Based on colony shape and color will identify which are yeast. From there I can put them under the microscope to see what shapes the colonies, from there ican use a best guess for species. Finally fermentation trials. It will takes several weeks to months. I will post pics as I go.

What's your background/education in?

I should have asked for a microscope, loop, bunson burner and other plating materials for xmas. And some experience so as not to waste said equipment.

Can't wait to see what you find.

What's your background/education in?

I should have asked for a microscope, loop, bunson burner and other plating materials for xmas. And some experience so as not to waste said equipment.

Can't wait to see what you find.
I am a CNC programmer specializing in plastic injection mold bases.

I read books and bought a microscope. I started with looking a commercial yeast and dregs to figure out what known species of yeast and bacteria look like. I got tips from ths yeast rancher blogs like bootleg biology, science brewer, brett project and eureka brewing.

I am a CNC programmer specializing in plastic injection mold bases.

I read books and bought a microscope. I started with looking a commercial yeast and dregs to figure out what known species of yeast and bacteria look like. I got tips from ths yeast rancher blogs like bootleg biology, science brewer, brett project and eureka brewing.

Awesome. Putting that **** on my amazon watch list then.

I am working on a Oude Beersel Vielle culture simultaneously. If I am pouring agar plates, I might as well plate them both.

Here are some shots of whats going on in Beersel.

Probably a Saccharomyces:
beersel_v_1_zps6a660cea.png

Some kind of yeast, maybe Brett and a few bacteria in the background:

beersel_v_4_zps2f496048.png

Another type of yeast:

beersel_v_2_zps2ef9eecd.png

Damn, these cells are small and dispersed compared to the CHO (Chinese Hamster Ovary) cells I look at for work.

Side note: SIPed collagen-based polystyrene microcarriers in PBS smell naaasty

12 days later I see some different critters in the Brazilian cassava culture.

brazil2-3_zps2ef3f809.png

Possible Sacch cell.

brazil2-5_zpsc77dc277.png

Another. This is about as big as the largest commercial Sacch I have seen, Safale US-05.

brazil2-1_zpsd7f77e8e.png

Not sure what these are, never seen them before. Maybe cassava dust.

brazil2-2_zpsa003a65e.png

Another oddball, probably a bubble, but they don't normally look like this.

brazil2-4_zpsf5b74da5.png

Another possible Sacch cell and a bubble (?), surrounded by bacteria.

brazil2-6_zps24877b9a.png

A possible different type of yeast cell, more of an average size for a Sacch.

I will pour some plates and streak this tomorrow after work.

pretty sure I recognize this one, hope you don't die.

1408498895000-ebola-virus.jpg

But seriously, I love what you are doing here, very interested to see the results. I have cultured a wild sourdough starter off of Organic Rye Flour that has lacto, brett and tons of other stuff in it but I would love to take a look under a microscope and see that it looks like.

20150116_182132_zpsvdyfliu5.jpg

9 days growth. Whatever that filthy bacteria is in the Brazil culture, it seems to be anaerobic or else these plates would be covered with it. The large dark spots are airborne mold that hit the plate while I was streaking. The medium and small colonies are most likely yeast. I will check them under the scope when selecting colonies.

20150117_090203_zps0hfygdqu.jpg

20150117_081015_zpscahttroi.jpg

I picked through the colonies for a few hours. I def found a colony of yeast on one of the Beersel plates. On the old Drie and Cassava cultures I found a couple bugs of interest, but not exactly what I was looking for. From 10 plates I pulled 14 colonies. We'll see how they ferment as isolates now.

Last night I had a chance to see how the isolates were doing.

20150126_201504_zps15wc4c7y.jpg

Drie 1- No ferment? Smells sticky and looks thick

Brazil 1- Smells like solvent

20150126_201709_zps50hqiw2g.jpg

Brazil 2- Smells like canned corn/feet

20150126_201743_zpswypynkv7.jpg

Brazil 3- Smells like canned corn/feet

20150126_201814_zpsicoglb1l.jpg

Beersel 1- Corn/feet, no pellicle

Beersel 2- Sweat/corn, no pellicle

Beersel 3- Corn/solvent, typical pellicle

Beersel 4- ***Winner, smells delicious, no pellicle

Beersel 5- Corn/solvent

Beersel 6- Sweat/Acetic(?), thin pellicle

Beersel 7- Rubbery thick pellicle, chem/foot smell

20150126_201946_zps3pwllclb.jpg

Beersel 8- Corn/chem smell, typical pellicle

Beersel 9- No ferment?

It seems I did not find anything good in cassava flour. I did end up with what seems like a good one from Oude Beersel. I will check it out under the scope tonight, test pH and gravity. It will get added to my collection and will be used in my next round of strain comparisons. I will dump the others except the 2 unfermented. I will hold those for a few more weeks.

Beersel 4:

beersel4-1_zpsa1f80389.png

That's what it looks like, definitely yeast. pH is 4.3 so probably not contaminated with bacteria. Gravity is around 1.030, but it is only been going for 9 days. The jar looked still and the yeast was caked on the bottom. Can't say for sure if it can consume anything more than simple sugars.

Latest posts

Back