Talk Beer Homebrew Club - 1st Competition - Style Poll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What style beer for our first competition

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerontwowheels

Reaction score
This poll is open to members of the Talk Beer Homebrew Club. If you are not a member,please do not vote (your vote will not be counted). PM me if you wish to join the club.

Time to determine what style our first competition will focus on. Using the poll, please vote on which style you would like to compete with. My hope is to have all beers submitted (i.e. delivered to the hub) by June 27th, so the categories are focused on beers that have a relatively quick turnaround ('grain to glass' in ~4-6 weeks).

Since this is our first club competition, I'm looking to keep it limited to one style. Future competitions may expand and allow entries for multiple styles (depending on demand).

Enough chit-chat...go vote. Poll will be open through Saturday, April 19th.

Last edited:
Are we sending a separate shipping label for each beer that goes to the hub? I'm trying to ballpark total shipping costs per entry.

Oh yeah, down with berliner, down with the oligarchy!
red-dawn.jpg

Last edited:
Are we sending a separate shipping label for each beer that goes to the hub? I'm trying to ballpark total shipping costs per entry.

Oh yeah, down with berliner, down with the oligarchy!
red-dawn.jpg

You will ship your entry (where the total # of bottles = total # of competitors -1) to the hub and include a shipping label so other competitors beers can be sent back to you.

If there are 6 total competitors (yourself included), you would ship a total of 5 beers. The hub would be responsible for getting the right beers into the boxes (clearly labeling your beers will help here) and attaching the pre-supplied shipping labels. The hub then drops off the boxes and is done.

You would then have your box shipped back to you (using the label you supplied - you are the sender and receiver on the label) with 5 beers from the 5 different competitors. You would judge those 5 beers (without know who submitted each one - blind judging, almost) and report your ratings to the competition organizer.

That's the plan so far...

You will ship your entry (where the total # of bottles = total # of competitors -1) to the hub and include a shipping label so other competitor's beers can be sent back to you.

If there are 6 total competitors (yourself included), you would ship a total of 5 beers. The hub would be responsible for getting the right beers into the boxes (clearly labeling your beers will help here) and attaching the pre-supplied shipping labels. The hub then drops off the boxes and is done.

You would then have your box shipped back to you (using the label you supplied - you are the sender and receiver on the label) with 5 beers from the 5 different competitors. You would judge those 5 beers (without knowING who submitted each one - blind judging, almost) and report your ratings to the competition organizer.

That's the plan so far...

Typed this up in a hurry - sorry for the obvious errors.

The only issue with Berliner is the close time frame. I might have a few left from my last batch but I have been lacking on brewing (actually I have purposefully been keeping them empty so I can brew a bunch for my co-workers wedding).

I have no preference towards style, as I unfortunately doubt I will be able to brew something specific within this time frame but I love the idea of this club starting off with a bang.

The only issue with Berliner is the close time frame. I might have a few left from my last batch but I have been lacking on brewing (actually I have purposefully been keeping them empty so I can brew a bunch for my co-workers wedding).

I have no preference towards style, as I unfortunately doubt I will be able to brew something specific within this time frame but I love the idea of this club starting off with a bang.
Vote!

Based on membership (I'm still tallying), there are only a few more folks who are eligible to vote.

Whaaaaaaaat! I just saw this! This is awesome. Making mo****in moves.

I voted pale ale but totally down with saison too. My two favorite styles! Time to get brewin..

Voted IPA as that's what I was planning on brewing next. I can live with saison instead though.

I wanted berliner to win the choice here because im selfish like that and REALLY want a box of nothing but berliners arriving at my house.

However, a saison was already in the books for my next brew day so it seems I wont have to flipflop my schedule.

I wanted berliner to win the choice here because im selfish like that and REALLY want a box of nothing but berliners arriving at my house.

However, a saison was already in the books for my next brew day so it seems I wont have to flipflop my schedule.

I'm with ya on that. Already have two berliners ready to go. Now I'm going to brew a saison just so I can try everyone else's. I thought I brewed a saison once but I used built up crooked stave dregs to ferment and it came out more like an AWA.

Will be picking up some 3711 this weekend hopefully and brewing up a rye saison.

If saison is indeed the category, will it be an anything goes approach with clean saisons, Brett saisons, sour saisons, etc.?

If saison is indeed the category, will it be an anything goes approach with clean saisons, Brett saisons, sour saisons, etc.?
sounds to me like a poll within a poll

I voted pale because of turnaround time and the fact that I just got some Vermont Ale yeast and can't brew again for probably 4 weeks.

There's no way a non-sour mash Berliner is ready by then and I don't like saisons. Well I do, but only if it's wine barrel aged or otherwise modified to not taste like a normal saison.

I'm with ya on that. Already have two berliners ready to go. Now I'm going to brew a saison just so I can try everyone else's. I thought I brewed a saison once but I used built up crooked stave dregs to ferment and it came out more like an AWA.

Will be picking up some 3711 this weekend hopefully and brewing up a rye saison.

I forgot a lot of people will use 3711 if we do saison. Too late to change my vote? ;)

I'll be using 3711 and some TX Hill country goodies. Gotta have that saison gettin low and twerkin.

I forgot a lot of people will use 3711 if we do saison. Too late to change my vote? ;)

You're right. I'm not using 3711. I'm actually getting excited to brew a saison even though I voted for Berliner. A little brett, some french oak...wheels are turning. Making a starter tonight with any luck. I want to avoid any chance of 'bubble gum'. Will probably use WL 565 Belgian Saison 1 assuming it's available at the lhbs tonight. Trying to figure out the grainbill now.

This thing is going to be a trainwreck.

I enjoyed the hell out of Bruery's Saison Tonnellerie. Any have a clue or suggestions about yeast strain or grist?

stakem?

vonnegut21 - If you want to participate in the club/competition, send me a PM with your personal email address. I will forward you a membership application. We dat serious.

I enjoyed the hell out of Bruery's Saison Tonnellerie. Any have a clue or suggestions about yeast strain or grist?

stakem?

I am probably the worst person to ask about this... I drank one right after release and thought it was great. Now everyone be like "woah dat funky brett is coming out." I thought it was suppose to be a clean albeit a 100% barrel fermented brew? This whole funk/brett thing wasnt even in the cards/mentioned before the triple version was announced. I have another bottle that is on my to-do list to see if some funk really is starting to show itself. But it leaves me curious if the bruery "forgot" to mention this at release or if there is a chance of contamination issues and they are passing it off as a "we meant to do that."

I brewed a table saison, 100% fermented in a 10 gal oak barrel that came out great and very similar to tonnellerie but I think that was because of the dryness verse barrel character. If I would do this again, id probably opt for WLP670 or Wyeast 3726 (with brux?) and play the temperature babysitter game.

I am probably the worst person to ask about this... I drank one right after release and thought it was great. Now everyone be like "woah dat funky brett is coming out." I thought it was suppose to be a clean albeit a 100% barrel fermented brew? This whole funk/brett thing wasnt even in the cards/mentioned before the triple version was announced. I have another bottle that is on my to-do list to see if some funk really is starting to show itself. But it leaves me curious if the bruery "forgot" to mention this at release or if there is a chance of contamination issues and they are passing it off as a "we meant to do that."

I brewed a table saison, 100% fermented in a 10 gal oak barrel that came out great and very similar to tonnellerie but I think that was because of the dryness verse barrel character. If I would do this again, id probably opt for WLP670 or Wyeast 3726 (with brux?) and play the temperature babysitter game.
I think they mentioned the brett at the time -- "barrel-fermented" beers at the Bruery are always put into giant puncheons that are known to have resident brett.

I think they mentioned the brett at the time -- "barrel-fermented" beers at the Bruery are always put into giant puncheons that are known to have resident brett.

I dont know how they mentioned it? I have their email description saved from its release and it only says it is "rustic." Just seems strange that they would not mention that in the saison but make it a seemingly highlighted point for the tripel and mention that the barrels are innoculated with wild yeast.

It seems they make or tried to make a distinction when wild bacteria are/were present. I realize it is probably a joke at this point but if a brewery doesnt mention bugs, I expect/want the beer to come out clean.

I could roll with a saison -- I'm almost out of my brett Nelson saison, and want to use the same base and yeast with different hops. When are we targeting? It takes about a month in bottle for the brett to really get to a good place...

EDIT: I'm an idiot. June 27.

On another subject, how many bottles will we be submitting for judging?

DOUBLE-EDIT: I'm a double idiot! Cheers, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back