TBHC - Competition #7(ish) - From the Vault

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choose wisely...

• WLP075 Hansen Ale Blend

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • WLP564 Leewenhoek Saison Blend

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • WLP603 Torulaspora delbrueckii

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • WLP033 Klassic Ale Yeast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WLP692 Debaryomyces hansenii

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • WLP616 Funky Cider Blend

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • one of the Lacto strains

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other - indicate in comments below

• wait until new choices become available

• Total voters

quirkzoo1

Reaction score
latest

In this post-apocalyptic beer wasteland adventurous homebrewers are needed to re-establish civilization and bring society back to the beer paradise it once was.

We can hammer out the details based on the yeast selected but the general outline will be:

We select a yeast from the White Labs - Yeast Vault
We pre-order a pitch, and if/when the threshold is met it is shipped to us
We determine a reasonable time frame for fermentation and shipping
We all brew using the same yeast with no other limitations in terms other ingredients/styles

Please only vote in the poll if you plan on participating in the competition. I am allowing unlimited answers in the poll since I would be happy trying a couple different strains and once one of them hits enough to run a reasonable comp, we will go for it.

kuemmelbrau
Five28 hz
SirDickButts
PepeSylvia
MKLEVER42
Vogt52
FTowne
Beerontwowheels
bum732
ShawDeuce22

Feel free to tag others that might be interested or suggest other guidelines for the comp, i.e.

Should we limit it to a certain style? or couple of styles?
Should we just scrap the lager comp and do this whenever the yeast becomes available?

ship to a central person x bottles with a return label. Central person mixes bottles and sends back. Or that's how I assume it happens.

Correct. Everyone ships n-1 bottles (n=number of participants) to me with a return label. I rearrange so that everyone gets one of each beer not their own and send them back to you.

Correct. Everyone ships n-1 bottles (n=number of participants) to me with a return label. I rearrange so that everyone gets one of each beer not their own and send them back to you.
Organizing and hubbing? You're a god dammed saint.

Send this man some extras with your boxes ya heathens.

I may have to sit this one out. Looks like theres plenty of participants and I have yet to brew a batch of mead bigger than 1 gal. Would hate to scale up for the first time here and send out bottles that taste like crap

So a couple of thoughts.

The Hansens blend sounds interesting but they say it is best used in an IPA and it seems odd to brew a very hop forward beer for a comp that is ultimately about the yeast.

The Saison Blend also sounds interesting and makes sense as it would be a yeast driven beer but who wants to brew a straight sacc saison anymore.

Torulaspora and Debaryomices are cool just because I have never even heard of those genus before. But both would require using another strain for primary. I like the idea of seeing different expressions of the yeast due to different primary strains and different grain bills but that seems like more of a long term project.

The Funky Cider blend sounds really interesting to me, but I can't even make a good regular cider so I don't feel qualified to try a funky cider. Also most of us primarily brew beer so a cider comp seems like a separate question.

With all that said, Hansens blend is closest to shipping, and I was planning on brewing up an IPA soon, and it could be cool to see how the yeast conveys different hop profiles.

I'm liking the way the voting is looking! I'm down with a pale ale or a Saison!

who wants to brew a straight sacc saison anymore
While I totally agree......

We have 10 people thus far, 12 to fill a shipper. That's around one gallon of beer in 12oz bottles. Either brew a 6 gallon batch (if your setup can bang that out) or a 5 gallon batch and FUNK up the other 5 or 4 gallons for your own pleasure. At least...that's what I would plan on doing.

So a couple of thoughts.

The Hansens blend sounds interesting but they say it is best used in an IPA and it seems odd to brew a very hop forward beer for a comp that is ultimately about the yeast.

The Saison Blend also sounds interesting and makes sense as it would be a yeast driven beer but who wants to brew a straight sacc saison anymore.

Torulaspora and Debaryomices are cool just because I have never even heard of those genus before. But both would require using another strain for primary. I like the idea of seeing different expressions of the yeast due to different primary strains and different grain bills but that seems like more of a long term project.

The Funky Cider blend sounds really interesting to me, but I can't even make a good regular cider so I don't feel qualified to try a funky cider. Also most of us primarily brew beer so a cider comp seems like a separate question.

With all that said, Hansens blend is closest to shipping, and I was planning on brewing up an IPA soon, and it could be cool to see how the yeast conveys different hop profiles.
The saison "blend" doesn't sound like anything more than the French and dupont strains in the same vile. Much rather do something from their vault that I can do with slurry I already have.

I think your right about the hansens being the best option for quick turn around that leaves the comp open for those that can't lager

Seems like we have enough interest to go ahead and pull the trigger. With Hansens Ale and Leewenhoek in a tie according to the survey, I am going to make the executive decision to go with Hansens Ale since several people indicated:

I'd be up for whatever yeast seems to be the most likely to become available.

Please post in this thread after you have pre-ordered the yeast and I will add you to a separate conversation where I will keep track of participants.

If you are on the fence about this one:

giphy.gif

Also, in light of the yeast selection I want to reiterate the rules:

1) We all use the Hansen Ale Blend and no additional yeast or bacteria may be added (yeast starters are okay*)
2) Beer only. No cider, mead, prison hooch, etc...
3) No other limitations in terms of ingredients, methods, style...

* I think it will be interesting to see if there is a perceptible difference between starter vs. non-starter beer since it is a blend and theoretically the ratios in the blend would change depending on the conditions in the starter.

Sorry, I'm going to pull out of this comp.

serious or just making a prison hooch joke?

Looks like there's still an open slot or two in the 12-shipper so count me in.

Who knows when the yeast will actually ship, but should be fun...

So does this mean you have placed your pre-order? I don't want to be a dufus about it, but with the high dropout rate in the last comp I want to try to get a clear number of people that are officially "in"

Pre - ordered. IllbeBOCK and I are in.

*Edit We're in as a team BTW. Cuz he's a shitty brewer

Added to the convo.

Back