1st Annual BeerTrading.org Awards (Discussion Thread)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you be interested in a BeerTrading.org Awards?

• Hell yeah, that sounds like fun!

Votes: 61 71.8%
  • Sounds like a pain in the ass

Votes: 10 11.8%
  • Can't we just go back to talking about Reubens?

Votes: 14 16.5%

• Total voters

Trady

Reaction score
Happy Monday TalkBeer.com!

I was inspired by the thread 2013 Beer Awards to see if there would be any interest in creating a sort of awards show for TalkBeer.com. Here is my thoughts, feel free to post below with comments, suggestions, questions, or criticisms. I'd like some input on this.

• Format would be multiple regional hubs to act as a gathering point for regional BTs to meet up and do a bottle share of sorts.
  • One individual per region would act as the Regional Organizer, who would be responsible for organizing their bottleshare.
  • Bottleshare would be simulcast via webcam in Google+ Meetup, or similar webcam group forum.
  • Venue could be anything from private residence up to pubs/breweries or other large gathering place.
  • Awards would span from breweries and beers to TalkBeer.com users and threads. I would open nominations shortly, and after an allotted time frame, final ballots would be made available. Winners would be read off during the simulcast, and some sort of trophy or award would be given out. Speeches would be encouraged.
  • Examples of awards would be BT of the Year, Thread of the Year, Brewery of the Year, Best Beer, things of that nature.

I would like each hub to host a minimum of 10, and if there are more, then the venue will need to be accommodating of the likely attendants. I don't want everybody to be individually simulcasting from their home computer, as that would complicate things and be pretty damn awkward too.

Target date would be around the 1st anniversary of TalkBeer.com's start date, so sometime in early April. I would like to hear from regional volunteers who think that they could organize a good showing for their areas, and I'd like some suggestions on logistics and how this should be run. I know that organizing 10-15 different parties to be online all at the same time would be tough, that's why I'd like to hear from the rest of you.

Please also note that it is also highly encouraged that Reubens be served at the regional tastings.

Cheers,
Trady

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like great fun but logistics shitstorm.
This is where the regional organizers will come in handy. There will need to be a concrete date set way in advance, and people can plan accordingly. If they can make it, great. If not, is what it is. The organizers will need to work around that date with their individual regional participants, and go from there.

Real talk: I would be interested in being a San Diego/SoCal regional organizer. My girlfriend and I have organized bottle shares in the past (as well as my friends in the area) and they have all turned out pretty well. I also have status with the Marriott family of hotels so getting a pretty epic meeting room at a hotel would be quite easy for me.

Being I live in San Diego I would definitely need some help seeing how many people live in the region, but I am up for volunteering myself. Also would make custom tanks for the event.

Real talk: I would be interested in being a San Diego/SoCal regional organizer. My girlfriend and I have organized bottle shares in the past (as well as my friends in the area) and they have all turned out pretty well. I also have status with the Marriott family of hotels so getting a pretty epic meeting room at a hotel would be quite easy for me.

Being I live in San Diego I would definitely need some help seeing how many people live in the region, but I am up for volunteering myself. Also would make custom tanks for the event.
Thanks for stepping up Andy.

If you host tho, Danielle will want to come. I cannot allow her to see how famous I am on the internet. She will never stop making fun of me.

If you host tho, Danielle will want to come. I cannot allow her to see how famous I am on the internet. She will never stop making fun of me.
I would have no problem hosting at my place, but I'm assuming we could easily get 10 people at a share. Now, if we had multiple shares going around the area that would be another thing.

And maybe for the event we could come up with a psuedo-name for you and at least try to slip it past Danielle?? But once everyone starts going "hhhhnnnnnggggg" every time the word reuben is mentioned she might catch on....

As with any organized "Award Show" there are a lot of people behind the scenes. Every regional meetup would need a working web connection, web cam, display of other meetup feeds, and other essentials like contact info for all participants, food, beer, etc. On the widespread scale, we'll need to have a central point of contact for all regional orgs, we'll need a few people working on setting up the ballots and counting votes, I'd really like to have some sort of physical awards for each category that can be shipped to org in advance, and when the envelopes are opened, they can give the award to the member if they are in attendance (otherwise regional orgs will accept on that individuals behalf). I'm thinking go big or go home on this one.

once everyone starts going "hhhhnnnnnggggg" reuben
mike_tyson_on_conan-81835.gif

Makes me wonder how much she makes fun of me when I'm not there........ don't think I want to know the answer.

Voted, and given my track record of showing up at random beer events/places around the country, probably not for the option that you'd have guessed...

Sounds like a good idea. On the subject of reubens, I hate them. Don't like how they taste, how they look, how they smell. I don't understand why they have their own thread.
Either I just clinched the award for Worst BT'er of the year or I will be the first and only person to be banned from this site. Either way, I dont like reubens.

Sounds like a good idea. On the subject of reubens, I hate them. Don't like how they taste, how they look, how they smell. I don't understand why they have their own thread.
Either I just clinched the award for Worst BT'er of the year or I will be the first and only person to be banned from this site. Either way, I dont like reubens.
congratulations. You officially have the worst post on this entire website.

Last edited:
Back