2013 Fantome releases

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Red Viper

Reaction score
I know Fantome has always had QC issues but that they were especially bad for a while during the past few years and there was a period where whole batches were mostly or all pretty bad from what I understand. So I've been trying to collect mostly 2014 releases but I'm looking for some more information about which batches I should really avoid or not, if it's even possible to be that clear about it.

Specifically I'm wondering about the batch of Saison that hit U.S. distro in summer 2013, and the batch of Hiver that came to the U.S. most recently in the winter of 2013-14 (which I assume is the same batch that's still for sale on Etre for example). More generally, I'm interested in any information (including just links to past discussions) about when the big smoky bandaid beer issues started and when if ever they cleared up so I can have a general guideline for which years'/months' releases to avoid.

Anyone have a good sense of all this?

I had my first Saison last summer and it was rough, then great, then not so great over the course of an hour. Definite smoke & plastic. Then I had a Brise-BonBons that I got off a shelf in Indianapolis (no idea on year) and it was great.

Recently had an Artist and a Pissenlit that were both great.

here is 20 pages worth of tomeography
at some point in there is discussion of the hot or not 2012-2014 era and what to bang/not bang

http://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/is-fantome-back.3621/

Yep that's what I needed, thanks!
... and so ... what do you want to know exactly, Viper ?.... ;-)

Hi Dany! Mainly I'm wondering if bottles I have that were released in 2013 (saison that was distributed in July or so of 2013) were bottled before or after you got the equipment problem cleared up. Or to put it another way, wondering if it's worth buying/trading for more of those batches or whether I need to order from Etre to be safe.

Hi Dany! Mainly I'm wondering if bottles I have that were released in 2013 (saison that was distributed in July or so of 2013) were bottled before or after you got the equipment problem cleared up. Or to put it another way, wondering if it's worth buying/trading for more of those batches or whether I need to order from Etre to be safe.

...really i'm not sure but i thing all material was not OK at this moment...

i thing early August i have made changements ... but in Etre Gourmet no problem all bottles are very New one !!

i fact there is only one "bad" month brewing when i have had problems .. no more ...

Back