2014 Talkbeer.com Committee White Whale List

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Help' started by GrumpyOldTroll, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrumpyOldTroll

GrumpyOldTroll

Last year, a group of people put together a "White Whale List" to have some fun and get a consensus among that group about what the most sought after beers were at that time. It's been a while since then, so we decided it was time for an update on Talkbeer.com.

This is only for fun. It does not mean that everyone must chase these bottles or that people who have some of them are better than those who don't. This list is just for fun and because we enjoy it. That's it.

(Click here if the embedded version below doesn't work for you.)

Here are the people who participated in the committee. Thanks to callmemickey for managing the logistics and keeping things moving along.

callmemickey
    Dunt
    Forgetfu
    Fredrik
    GrumpyOldTroll
    jbuddle
    Jeffo
    Sean9689
    Speedwayjim
    Thorpe429
    Totoropanda
    waltersrj

Also, two members wished to remain anonymous.

2. stupac2

stupac2

Some interesting things on there. Aren't the Akkurrat Fonteinen 50/50 beers just Blauw/Roze with different labels? Surprised to see them listed differently. I'm also sort of shocked that Dirty Horse is so high, I've never really gotten that beer's placement on these lists. T-20 being on the list at all is surprising too, given that prevailing opinion seems to be that it's garbage at this point.

BusinessSloth likes this.
  3. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

Sweet.....I literally JUST came home from store and re-stocked my popcorn supply!

[​IMG]

Srs, thanks all of you for putting it together!

4. GrumpyOldTroll

GrumpyOldTroll

Totally agree on T-20 and Dirty Horse. ;) We split the 50/50 because the different label makes it more desirable than a "regular" Blauw or roze.

5. tinypyramids

tinypyramids

surprised 2011 dark lord de muerte is so low on the list due to rarity, but it's kind of a weird bottle that no one really wants unless they really want to complete a 2011 horizontal.

cosmicevan and GrumpyOldTroll like this.
  6. Forgetfu

Forgetfu

I know when i was ranking my list, i wrestled with beers like those a bit. The most sought after whales aren't necessarily the tastiest (as demonstrated by Feestbier's existence on the list). We tried to take into account their taste as well as desirability.

For example, I personally think that a 50/50 blend would certainly trade for an Eszett, even if it is blauw/rose rebranded. However, I don't think a Blauw or Rose would trade for an Eszett at the moment. I weighed that into my rankings along with the taste.

IMO, you're right, Dirty Horse is probably a bit high on the list, but it is becoming pretty damn close to extinct at this point, and it would cost a lot for a whale hunter to track down. I've had it 3 times (including both the 1983 and blend versions). It's a unique beer. I've enjoyed it, but it certainly suffers from variation. Draft 83 was much better than bottled 83.

7. HeadHunter

HeadHunter

Traded several bottles of #94 for regional shelf beers in 06. No regrets.

beerandraiderfan likes this.
  8. johnnyramirez

johnnyramirez

I got a bottle of #92. Owning 1/100 ain't bad.

justXbeer, DruRho, ridglens and 2 others like this.
  9. Roger85

Roger85

I've had or seen exactly zero of these bottles. My whale game is not tight :(

10. RandallPinkFloyd

RandallPinkFloyd

#80 (CCB Apple Brandy Hunahpu's) is the only one I've ever had. And that was on draft.

Cigar City put it on draft on Mayan end-of-the-world day (12/21/12). That was quite a day, spent most of it at the Peg's RareR Dos release.

GhostOfGaspar and GrumpyOldTroll like this.
  11. Calcifer

Calcifer

I've only had one bottle on this list as well, #94 (East End Gratitude 2005) back in November and it was fantastic.

drbenzo, spicecowboy, ncaudle and 3 others like this.
  12. callmemickey

callmemickey

Its decline was certainly taken into consideration -- last year it was #34 -- it's fallen pretty far.

13. jarrgal

jarrgal

Always look forward to this list; interesting to see what beers make it up. Thanks for putting the list together.

I'm hoping if I hold onto my T-25 long enough I will eventually be able to say I consumed a beer from the White Whale List...

Boilerfood likes this.
  14. regularjohn

regularjohn

one day i will try M, one day

Shmeal and Lefty Hyzer like this.
  15. stxSS07

stxSS07

How do you participate in such a public endeavor (which will lead to all kinds of spirited debate no doubt) and then say "yeahhh can you not tell anyone I did this?"

I know it's for fun and what have you, but still. STILL.

Imagine a funny .gif here.

16. davey101

davey101

Oh yay, festina lente is off the list. Totally accessible now!

:(

17. GrumpyOldTroll

GrumpyOldTroll

Slightly peach flavored battery acid. Srs.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    claaark13 and davey101 like this.
  18. Lefty Hyzer

Lefty Hyzer

So is that better or worse than your description of Barrel aged bath water of Feestbier? And Festina lente was def really acidic.

19. Lefty Hyzer

Lefty Hyzer

And I liked Speedway Jim's list better. Only cause I've had more beers on it. :(:D:cool:

20. Only Mimosa. Better than zero!

PeelBacks, Thorpe and GrumpyOldTroll like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.