US - Pacific 2018 Membership drop/renewal

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by chemman14, Sep 19, 2017.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. disapowzment

disapowzment

One year later

Dropped - garagiste (things definitely changed from when I signed up)

Kept pips

Added second city

2. Scalzo

Scalzo

HOWS THAT GOING FOR YAH?

mjohnson17 likes this.
  3. souredstouts

souredstouts

Keeping the Casey membership. Most people have covered why in this thread.

Splitting a hoarders membership. Was on the fence about this while The Bruery was thinking of changing some aspects to the Hoarders Membership. We will see how it goes.

Picked up Cellador membership. They ship within California and I have enjoyed their beer so far.

4. jwacky

jwacky

Got invited to join Modern Times' Theory of Leisure Committee last night so now almost certainly dropping Lost Abbey, Bottlecraft Lock & Key, and Mikkeller.

Kinda sorta debating Alesmith because of the included bottles, but prices of extra bottles and fills there have me hesitating.

My mind changes every day on these, haha.

KevSal and Padraig like this.
  5. chemman14

chemman14

Welcome! You think you're stoked now, wait until the year starts. Your wallet, it's fucked FYI.

KevSal and jwacky like this.
  6. jwacky

jwacky

LOL, hence dropping everything else. Time to redirect some of those dollars. Determined to stop 'settling' for beers from some of these other mediocre memberships and focus more on stuff being put out by countless other breweries in San Diego.

Xul and chemman14 like this.
  7. chemman14

chemman14

Yeah, this year was my first as a modern times member. I split a theory membership with two other buddies and I have to say the beers we got this year were leaps and bounds over their beers even a year ago. They are absolutely firing on all cylinders.

souredstouts likes this.
  8. jwacky

jwacky

Agreed, destroying most anything else down here. I pretty much go to just two breweries: MT and Pizza Port OB. The latter due largely because it's a great spot for the whole family before/after the beach and I like their food.

souredstouts and chemman14 like this.
  9. chemman14

chemman14

In addition to PP I dig alesmith (although honestly not as much as I used to before I really fell in love with MT) and EPPIG (Lager is Life)

10. jwacky

jwacky

Alesmith is my distant third, same reason as what you said. PP gets bonus points, too, for guest taps.

chemman14 likes this.
  11. paperdoll2207

paperdoll2207

Congrats! I have a few friends who made it in this year too

souredstouts and jwacky like this.
  12. disapowzment

disapowzment

This club made me pop a tent this year

ASUBeer and souredstouts like this.
  13. jwacky

jwacky

I have no issues with the club itself. Great bottles and great service. Love the access for extra bottles, too. But I can't justify locking in as much 'beer money' in to memberships as I'd need to to keep this along with Theory.

disapowzment likes this.
  14. rrryanc

rrryanc

The Hoarders approach of putting all your eggs in one basket, eh? Been there, done that, have so much beer left over that's hard to open.

KevSal and DougOLis like this.
  15. jwacky

jwacky

Not necessarily, more that I feel like I've passed up tons of stuff from other local breweries that seemed interesting because I felt like I needed to spend through a membership to make it "worth" it. For example, buying cans from Mikkeller each week when I also want to try what Fall released, or Council, or whoever.

Edit with further thoughts: It's really more just sticking with the one membership I truly enjoy and taking advantage of it to the fullest, and spending the remaining budget at the LBS, or other breweries.

sdreaper likes this.
  16. rrryanc

rrryanc

I guess I don't see how this changes by just switching to a single higher tier at one brewery, especially one that incentivizes a high level of continued spending in order to maintain that membership. Seems like you'd just be transferring the money from Mikkeller to MT and there'd be the same amount left to spread among local breweries.

KevSal likes this.
  17. disapowzment

disapowzment

I think what he's saying is its too much money to run both clubs and still be able to buy local beer. Which I get

18. rrryanc

rrryanc

Right, but he's moving up a tier in MT. So it's not just dropping one and keeping another, which I totally would understand.

19. jwacky

jwacky

This. Try not to overthink this, haha. Also dropping a couple other memberships. So, sure, replacing the higher tier with Mikkeller's money, but also freeing up beer money from the couple other clubs I'm in by not renewing them.

The math checks out in my head.

20. rrryanc

rrryanc

Hey, whatever works for you. Just have been down that route with The Bruery already and won't repeat it.

KevSal likes this.
Group Builder