2018 TalkBeer Fantasy Football Keeper League

Discussion in 'Beer-It-Forward' started by mateoloco, Jul 30, 2018.

1. mateoloco

mateoloco

Tagging all participants:
    blckout20 (Saquondi Bot)
    Fahmie25
    JohnnyNC
    mateoloco (Bitchin' Kamara)
    screwyouguys
    Coppcw08 (Shiva Blast)
    JGlitz87 (Oak Cliff Taquerias)
    MikeJones (currently Team SF)
    biglobo8971 (Titties and Beer)
    Thevicster (vicd's Team)
    RuckIt (budlightlime6pack)
    MrMurke (currently Mrpeterandthepuffers)

Welcome to the new season! At this point, it looks like everyone has access to the league on Yahoo! and the right teams are with the right owners.

In the next 24 hours or so, I will both post here and send out a survey via Yahoo! with a bunch of proposed rule changes to the league. I will give you 10 days or so to complete the survey. Once the deadline is up or everyone submits the survey (whichever comes first), I will formalize the rules for the league.

Here are the CURRENT keeper laws (copied and pasted from last year):

Keeper Laws:

1. Maximum of 3 keepers per team. Minimum of zero.
    2. Keepers will move up one draft round in value.
    3. You can not keep your first round draft pick (because that player can not move up in value).
    4. Free agent keeper pickups will either be round 6 value OR one round higher than last draft round for that player. For example:
    A. An un drafted player has a round 6 value.
    B. A player drafted in the 10th round and then cut can be picked up and kept in the 9th round.
    C. A player drafted in the second round can be picked up and kept in the first round.
    5. Traded players retain their keeper value on their new teams.
    6. If there is a situation where you have two keepers in the same round - they always will move up to the higher round, never backwards to the lower round.
    7. After final game of regular season fantasy schedule - you can not keep any free agents added.

To see the state of your roster at the end of last season, on the Desktop version of Yahoo! (not the mobile app), hover over Draft and select Last Season from the dropdown. But please keep in mind that those of you in the playoffs likely made transactions after the end of the regular season, and per rule 7 above, those players are not keepable.

To see the list of all transactions made, on the home page of the league, under League Members, click All Time, then click on 2017. That will take you to a janky looking page for last year. Scroll to the bottom and where you see Recent Transactions, click View All. Any transactions on or after December 4th took place AFTER the regular season and those players cannot be kept. That being said, I don't really see any guys added after the regular season that would make great keepers.

If you have any proposed changes for the league, let me know ASAP as I want to get the survey out as soon as possible because I want people to have time to prepare for the draft. Here are the following proposed changes: add back DST, change to PPR, Bench Size, auction draft, everyone sending out 1 box of beer during the season, number of keepers, keeper escalator, free agent eligibility of keepers.

RuckIt, screwyouguys and MikeJones like this.
  2. screwyouguys

screwyouguys

If you have any proposed changes for the league, let me know ASAP as I want to get the survey out as soon as possible because I want people to have time to prepare for the draft. Here are the following proposed changes: add back DST, change to PPR, Bench Size, auction draft, everyone sending out 1 box of beer during the season, number of keepers, keeper escalator, free agent eligibility of keepers.[/QUOTE]

Add DST: Dosent matter either way
    PPR: currently .5pt so Dosent matter
    Bench size: Dosent matter
    Auction Draft: please don’t change
    #keepers: Dosent matter
    FA: Dosent matter

But just please don’t change to auction draft

mateoloco likes this.
  3. RuckIt

RuckIt

I think the changes being proposed for voting are about the only things I'd consider changing. I'm also on #teamsnakedraft, but if the majority votes for auction, I'm sure I could figure it out. The biggest issue I foresee is the advantage experienced Auction drafters would have over the rest of us, but whatever the league decides is ok with me.

mateoloco likes this.
  4. mateoloco

mateoloco

I’ve only ever done an auction draft once, and it was in a REALLY weird league (20 team, super flex, 10 roster slots, have to drop 3 guys each week), so I have practically no experience with this and the $ values don't translate at all (QBs were crazy expensive--Andy Dalton went for $40 or so). Try mocking a few auctions and see what you think before deciding against it.

5. biglobo8971

biglobo8971

I wouldnt mind auction, but whatevs

mateoloco likes this.
  6. blckout20

blckout20

Add DST
    PPR don’t care
    Bench size don’t care
    Draft - snake
    Keepers - I pretty much like how it is, I’d maybe say an undrafted Fa should be an 8th rd pick instead of a 6 but zfg
    FA - seems fine

I’d also be up for a complete redraft as I’m stuck with this gang of scrubs but I knew what I was getting into when I signed up and wouldn’t want to bum out any OGs

MikeJones and mateoloco like this.
  7. MrMurke

MrMurke

Fine with whatever rules are decided, though I would prefer a snake draft, ideally in the order of the previous year's rankings (akin to the NFL).

My only real suggestion would for the draft order to be decided before keepers are chosen. This way you know if you're giving up a 2.1 or a 2.12 for your guy.

mateoloco likes this.
  8. Coppcw08

Coppcw08

snake draft.

Rest of the rules I don't care about. I'm good with whatever the group wants.

MikeJones likes this.
  9. Coppcw08

Coppcw08

Side note: Do we have a list of teams and the rds each person was selected in?

10. mateoloco

mateoloco

11. mateoloco

mateoloco

When I listed the following proposed changes in the original post, I was just letting you guys know what kind of stuff would be on the survey. I wasn't asking you to respond to that list. I AM IGNORING THE POSTS ABOVE. THOSE DO NOT COUNT AS ANSWERS. Please complete the survey below. Please read through it and follow the directions.

Since there are a lot of new teams in the league and a lot of talk about rule changes, I want everyone to have an equal voice. Therefore, I have composed a survey for you to complete. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ANSWER PUBLICLY. To answer, just send me a PM. Or, if you want to answer publicly, you can post your answers in the thread. Regardless, I need your answers by 11:59 PM EST, Friday, August 10. This should give you plenty of time to answer this short survey. When everyone has completed the survey (or if someone doesn't complete it, on Saturday August 11), I will post the results.

1. We had DSTs and Kickers for the first two years and got rid of them last year. Do you want to have DSTs for this league? A) Yes, B) No, C) Don’t care
    2. The league has always been 0.5 PPR. There is also 0.25 for first downs. How do you want PPR to be? A) 0.5 PPR, B) 1 PPR, C) Don’t care
    3. Do you want there to be 0.25 for first downs? A) Yes, B) No, C) Yes if 0.5 PPR, No if 1 PPR, D) Don’t Care
    4. The bench was 6 with 1 IR the first two years but last year when DSTs and Kickers were removed it became 7. What should be the bench size? A) 6, B) 7, C) 8, D) Don’t Care
    5. I would really like the league to switch to an auction format. I think that it makes a lot of sense for a keeper league. But I am not going to force that if I am in the minority. It provides a LOT more flexibility in constructing a roster. You can target your guys and it doesn’t matter what round they are drafted in. Let’s say that you really like 4 guys whose ADP is in the 4th round but you have a 5th round keeper. There is no way to get more than 1 of those guys (unless you reach for a guy in the 3rd). And if you have keepers in two adjacent rounds you miss out on two rounds worth of guys. Keep in mind, I’ve only ever done an auction draft once, and it was in a REALLY weird league (20 team, super flex, 10 roster slots, have to drop 3 guys each week), so I have practically no experience with this. Try mocking a few auctions and see what you think before deciding against it. If we switch to an auction, each round will be assigned a dollar value, so instead of costing a draft pick it costs a certain number of auction dollars (see below). How do you want to draft? A) Snake Draft, B) Auction Draft, C) Don’t Care
    6. Do you want to have keepers for this year’s draft or start over from scratch? Starting over from scratch means that no one can keep anything for this draft, but we would have keepers for next year. A) Start over from scratch, B) Have keepers for this years draft, C) Have a smaller number of keepers for this year’s draft than future years (we’d have to vote again to decide on the numbers for this year vs future years), D) Don’t Care
    7. We have always had 3 keepers. How many do you want for this league (if we decide on C for #5, we’ll vote again on this since we’ll have a different number of keepers for this year vs future years)? A) 1, B) 2, C) 3, D) Don’t Care
    8. Currently the keeper escalator is 1 round. In other words, in 2016 Devonta Freeman was drafted in the 8th round. So in 2017 he could be kept for a 7th, in 2018 a 6th, in 2019 a 5th, etc. There is no limit on number of years kept, but once the player costs a 1st round pick they can no longer be kept. If we moved to an auction the escalator would be $, not round(s). I think that it makes sense to vote on this question AFTER we have an answer on #5, so I’m tabling this question.
    9. Currently undrafted players who are free agents can be kept for a 6th round pick. Should undrafted free agents be able to be kept? A) Yes, B) No, C) Don’t Care
    10. JGlitz87 had a neat proposal about everyone sending beer during the season. Here’s how it would work: Regular Season will be divided into 4 "Segments" Weeks 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12. The team with the highest total score in each segment will win 2-3 boxes. I will determine "segment senders" at the start of the season based on geographic diversity. If you win during your shipping segment, I will swap as best as possible. All owners will ship regardless of performance. This would be in addition to sending beer at the end of the year (5 to 1st, 3 to 2nd, 1 to 3rd, top 3 don’t ship). Do you want to add in-season beer sending for all players? A) Yes, B) No, C) Don’t Care

12. JGlitz87

JGlitz87

1. I think adding a DST would be nice. I love getting rid of Kickers. I hate losing because someone gets 20 pts from the kicker in the playoffs.
    2. C
    3. D
    4. D
    Auction vs. Snake - It seems the majority of people are in favor of snake. As a newbie, I am happy with whatever the majority decides obviously.

However I would like to make the pitch for Auction drafts. As mateoloco mentioned, it offers teams a larger range of team building options. Do you blow your budget on Todd Gurley, Antonio Brown, and Gronk (on ESPN they project to cost you $146 of your $200 budget) and count on hitting on lower players that cost $1 the rest of the way? Do you target a few studs and build a team of solid players throughout the rest. Do you ignore the studs and try to find "under valued" 2nd-3rd picks to fill out your team? The world is yours. It is a bit scary at first, but after years of talking people into Auction Drafts, I have never had someone who regretted the choice. In fact most refuse to go back to snake drafts.

I know no everyone feels the same way, but IMO snake drafts have a pretty broad range of value in starting positions. IMO the 12th pick in a 12 team puts the that owner at a distinct disadvantage. Going to an auction draft eliminates the randomness of pick assignment.

For keepers, most leagues either have Salaries stay the same and limit the "term" of a keeper to 2-3 years, or they have owners have to add $5 to the salary each season.

Keepers - I think if we go to the Auction draft we should just go for a clean slate. Especially since there are so many new owners in the league.

If we stay snake, I think maintaining 3 keepers is fine.

9. I think 6th is fair.

10. My idea, so I think my vote is obvious.

mateoloco likes this.
  13. JGlitz87

JGlitz87

Those that have concerns with auction drafts, feel free to reach out here/PM me. I have been doing auction drafts across multiple sports for going on 10 years and can ask most any question.

I also run a basketball league that has 9-10 pages of rules, a salary cap and hits, multi year contracts, etc... we are re-starting the league and may have a few open slots if people are interested. We ask for a 3 year commitment financially up front so spots rarely open.

mateoloco likes this.
  14. JGlitz87

JGlitz87

Also, I think this is a great idea.

Also, after re-reading my posts it is clear I should indicate that I am not on beer this early. I am simply home alone with two kids under the age of 4.

mateoloco likes this.
  15. Coppcw08

Coppcw08

1. A) Yes,
    2. C) Don’t care
    3. D) Don’t Care
    4. B) 7
    5. A) Snake Draft
    6. B) Have keepers for this years draft,
    7. C) 3,
    8. TBD
    9. A) Yes,
    10. B) No

mateoloco likes this.
  16. RuckIt

RuckIt

1. A) Yes
    2. C) Don’t care
    3. C) Yes if 0.5 PPR, No if 1 PPR
    4. A) 6 -or- B) 7
    5. C) Don’t Care
    6. A) Start over from scratch, B) Have keepers for this years draft, D) Don’t Care
    7. D) Don’t Care
    8. TBD
    9. A) Yes
    10. C) Don’t Care
    For shipping beer, I'd like to propose a small tweak to the end-of-season winners. Something to keep people interested who are knocked out of the playoffs. Maybe a "loser's bracket" where the winner gets a box? Or even as simple as the non-playoff team who scores the most points during Week 13 wins a box? In my other beer league, EVERYONE ships, including top 3, and that gives us more prizes to spread around, but I'd understand if people would rather not do that.

In the end, you'll notice a lot of "don't care" answers, because in the end we're all playing by the same rules, so it's essentially a level playing field (minus certain keepers, lol).

mateoloco likes this.
  17. screwyouguys

screwyouguys

1. Don’t care
    2. Don’t care
    3. Don’t care
    4. Don’t care
    5. Snake draft
    6. B/C
    7. Don’t care
    8. Don’t care
    9. Don’t care
    10. Don’t care

I think the league was run fine the last 3 years
    So obvisouly I don’t care for minor changes
    As already stated we will all be playing by the same rules so it shouldn’t matter too much

But in regards to draft. I’d really much prefer to stick with snake draft for this league especially with the keeper situations
    I’m sure auctions have there benefits but I will honestly have minimal time to prepare for draft to begin with so adding in a new style of draft for me will be very difficult

mateoloco likes this.
  18. screwyouguys

screwyouguys

And in regards to draft order I kinda liked the way was done last year with the ante voted best had top choice of there draft spot and so on.
    But I think would need to be rearranged this year by finishes from last year so I’d assume who ever was 12 place would have 1st choice where they draft
    Can def:
    A influence where you want to draft based on your keepers
    B influence who you are keeping depending upon your draft slot

Just my opinion but again I don’t care on draft order

mateoloco likes this.
  19. MikeJones

MikeJones

I want to do this with football. Missed a spot in a league like it last year.

mateoloco likes this.
  20. blckout20

blckout20

1. A - Yes
    2. A - .5 PPR
    3. B - No
    4. A - 6
    5. A - Snake
    6. A - Start from Scratch
    7. B - 2
    9. A - yes
    10. B - No