US - Pacific 2019 Membership renewal

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by jwacky, Sep 4, 2019.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. souredstouts

souredstouts

The sours I would say are worth a stop off and try because it's on the way to/from alesmith.

smithj2154 and sdreaper like this.
  2. sdreaper

sdreaper

Convenience plays a big part in my decision making.

souredstouts and smithj2154 like this.
  3. Padraig

Padraig Premium Supporter Contributor

They ship within California. Somewhat annoyingly that's only available on club bottles if you're in the 2nd and 3rd tiers.

smithj2154 likes this.
  4. smithj2154

smithj2154

Sorry I was making a joke from the SD thread. I live in north county SD so fighting the 5 and 805 freeways isn’t ideal and shipping beer from Mira Mesa to Encinitas seems like a waste of money. Kind of a catch 22. Their wording on shipping is weird though I read it you can ship club bottles anywhere in CA even if you are only a Viking member.

5. smithj2154

smithj2154

Also I’m wondering about what entices breweries to create a club, is it really just them viewing it as a short term interest free loan? Or is there more wanting to be creative with producing new beer at play? There are plenty of great SD breweries that do not have a club (pizza port, belching beaver, rip current, etc...)

6. JulianB

JulianB

I have a friend who was in it last year. I don't know if there's any differences depending on one's location (i.e. west coast/Chico vs east coast/Asheville), but most of the beers he got ranged from meh to gross. Some of them were interesting but not to the point of them being anything I'd want to seek out or have again. Several were drainpours. Not one made me think "wow, this is totally worth being a member for!"

Padraig and smithj2154 like this.
  7. Gaseous Clay

Gaseous Clay

Its a (hopefully) large amount of cash upfront to put toward expenses throughout the year vs having to take a loan or go in the red to hopefully make it back + profit. It seems like a no brainer for the business but it seems to give new breweries a pass on creating mediocre beer as they already have your money. Clubs that have emerged after a brewery has become big as a way to honor local residents and long time customers seems like the proper way to do a club, but thats just my two cents on the matter.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  8. chemman14

chemman14

No one has any idea as they don't tell us shit

9. chemman14

chemman14

Yeah, I was a member the first year and poured every single beer out. Friends stayed in and slowly dropped off. None are left as 90% of the beer was terrible and went down the drain.

10. jwacky

jwacky

11. sdreaper

sdreaper

Sounds like you would need to also purchase the growler, kinda like how Alesmith's was an added fee the first year (but could opt in for 2nd year to get it as your merch piece). And you would need to live kinda close to take advantage of that 20% off fills perk.

Other than that, I personally would skip it, but I am not a fan of about 75% of their offerings. The anniversary parties I have attended in the past were not well run. The first time I can understand but after that, fool me once....I also don't really like having to bust out my wallet and pay for individual pours. I would prefer a token system or having it included, either unlimited or else a set amount with a wristband+tabs.

smithj2154, chemman14 and jwacky like this.
  12. chemman14

chemman14

jwacky likes this.
  13. jwacky

jwacky

Thank you, voices of reason.

14. chemman14

chemman14

Personally for me next year I am dropping Dionysus and Westbound & Down (CO brewery)

Keeping:
    Modern Times (split)
    Casa (split)
    Highland Park Brewery (solo)
    Amalgam (solo CO brewery)

Really pains me to drop those two, as they both make fantastic beer for a great price, but I've come to the realization I have too much beer and cutting out memberships is a surefire wait to buy less.

15. sdreaper

sdreaper

But...what about Wild Barrel!?!?!?!? =P

Keeping:
    Modern Times (hopefully still get a theory invite despite purchase rates being on the low end for me)
    SARA (took me so damn long to get in, I doubt I will ever let this one go)

On the fence (...still):
    Alesmith

Dropping:
    Lost Abbey

wolf13, smithj2154 and anvindr like this.
  16. chemman14

chemman14

Ugh, don't remind me.

17. shadowane

shadowane

Saw this in your post and was confused I missed something. Did you recently see something about them creating a 3rd Believer's Club? Because there have only been 2 in the past and the previous one was years ago at this point.

18. Padraig

Padraig Premium Supporter Contributor

Ah, I thought it was still active.

19. wolf13

wolf13

So what level did you end up with, inquiring minds want to know?

20. jwacky

jwacky

I keep hearing grumblings of a Lost Cause Meadery membership forming. Anyone hear anything about that? That's about the only other thing I'd consider at this point.