AB InBev Buys Wicked Weed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
giphy.gif

Not that this is a happy thing for craft beer as a whole, but it makes a LOT of sense for WW, as they have expanded very quickly, yet lack proper distribution. AB will give them that.

Really wasn't surprised by this at all and don't imagine it will have the hugest impact on their product, really just assume it will benefit their distro. While I don't want to see AB buying up all the growing craft breweries this doesn't really bother me, although I do enjoy most WW beers.

I can't say that their beers were ever all that impressive.

Everything that I've ever had from them was solidly made, but, like you, I don't understand the hype train. Limited availability?

And being at the brewery in Asheville during the World Cup was probably one of the bro-iest things I've ever seen.

FTFY

Any wagers on who is next?
Lots of big brewing states covered... but not MI. Hmmmm.....

Wicked Weed has always been 100% focused on return. The financial investors are basically just venture capitalists. I gave up on that brewery a long time ago. I will miss BA french toast from time to time, and maybe cerise morte, but who cares, FF is making better wild beer anyway. If I had to guess from NC, greenman looks poised to do the same.

Any wagers on who is next?
Lots of big brewing states covered... but not MI. Hmmmm.....

Look for newer breweries that have expanded rapidly and who don't have distribution partners. Most, but not all, established breweries already have distribution in place, so they don't need AB's help.

Hint: the list is pretty short.

lol^^^^

edit: this was in response to cantillon and schramms being next.

That you're agreeing with a joke and saying ABIB is interested in a fad beer brewery (a good fad, but still a fad) that sells 95% of their beer out the back door.

1) You guys are bad at jokes
2) Trillium's capacity is 35K bbl. Don't think they're selling that much beer out of their back door.

Look for newer breweries that have expanded rapidly and who don't have distribution partners. Most, but not all, established breweries already have distribution in place, so they don't need AB's help.

Hint: the list is pretty short.

Or look for established regional breweries who are already using AB distribution channels. Elysian and 10 Barrel both did.

Comparing WW to 10 Barrel is silly. Is that another joke?

10 Barrel actually makes some pretty amazing IPAs (former Barley Browns guy) and Tonya Cornett does some awesome stuff with sours. None of those beers got bottled, but it really did suck when they got bought. One of my favorite places to hang out in Bend. No more.

Last edited:
1) You guys are bad at jokes
2) Trillium's capacity is 35K bbl. Don't think they're selling that much beer out of their back door.
I think they kind of do...? Relatives were just in Boston and said all the bartenders at every beer bar basically said trillium doesn't deliver much beer outside the tap room? Maybe they got lied to but they said they only had trillium at one bar and it was one beer..

Back