Adam vertical results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbitrator

Not Patrick
Reaction score
I did a vertical of Adam last year and posted the results. I decided to copy my notes over here since I was looking them up anyway.

I had a few friends over and we opened bottles of:

batch 26 (1997, 12oz)
batch 39 (1999, 1.5L)
batch 55 (2002, 12oz)
batch 70 (2005?, 12oz)
batch 81 (2011, 3L)

The batch 26, purchased from the brewery, was unanimously over the hill. It was dry, nearly flat, and very thin. The oxidation (sherry and cardboard) gave it a cola-like character. It didn't get finished. I was really disappointed, as it was, on a $/oz basis, the most expensive bottle of the tasting. I would not pay or trade a lot for anything of this age again.

Batch 39 was better. It showed some signs of cardboard, and it was also dry and undercarbed, but it had a nice melange of sherry with some dark fruit character lingering. I like Adam for its tobacco and leather flavors, and that was found here in mild, accenting amounts. If I were offered another batch 39 (or similar age) magnum again, I might take it for the interest factor.

Batch 55 had the most tobacco/leather of all of the batches. It was moderately dry, properly carbonated, and the oxidation cut its sweetness nicely without going too far. I would say, comparing this to batch 39, that b39 was a tad beyond its peak. I would not age Adam beyond 10 years after having this bottle.

Batch 70 was probably my favorite, because it had the sweetness of young Adam, moderate oxidation, and a good body. It didn't have the leather and tobacco that I enjoy, so I guess it could use another year or two to develop that. I also get the sense that it could be batch variation (some batches having more tobacco / leather than others). I say this because I've drank batch 55 Adam a few times over the past 3 years, and it has always had a strong, unchanging amount of those flavors, whereas younger Adams have not shown any progression of that profile. It seems that what they start with sticks around, but doesn't necessarily increase.

Batch 81 was overcarbonated; it gushed all over the floor. It had a spicy, peppery finish that reminded me of Belgian yeast. It was also the hoppiest with some noticeable flavors of earth. I didn't like it as much as b55 or b70, but everyone else loved it.

Note: since that vertical, I have drank various batches of Adam. 88 is the most recent one, I believe. It reminds me more of 'traditional' Adam, and that Belgian influence I detected is gone. It has a restrained tobacco / leather presence with a stronger emphasis on dark fruit, without being treacly. I am curious to see how this ages. I suspect it will progress a lot like batch 70, albeit with more tobacco.

An official photo, with a 3L perched on the massive biceps of Nanoslug:

20120421_222801.jpg

Yes, we had a t-shirt designed for the tasting.

The Cherry Adam from the Wood magnum (2009) was opened at a previous tasting. I felt like it had gone a bit past its peak, and I say this as someone who once gave that batch a perfect 5.0 and have consumed it religiously every few months. The 2011 batch was drinking pretty well in mid-2012. I felt it peaked by the end of the year, and now I think it is on its way down. The 2012 batch of Cherry Adam from the Wood was a disappointment.

Thanks for posting the results. Very interesting.

I tend to prefer Adam with about 5 years on it. A little bit of oxidation brings out some nice complexities while still leaving that nice, young, sweet Adam character.

BTW I miss nanoslug :(

Have you had Batch 90? JohnfromPurdue brought me x3 of them (Indiana no longer carries Adam or I'd buy/age it like SN). I'd originally planned to open one and age the others, but I'm already down to my last bottle.

Also, has anyone seen updated information on the recent batches of Adam and their bottling dates? I believe the website stops at 85. I've emailed them, but a week has passed without response. I'm trying to find some from late 2012.

Have you had Batch 90? JohnfromPurdue brought me x3 of them (Indiana no longer carries Adam or I'd buy/age it like SN). I'd originally planned to open one and age the others, but I'm already down to my last bottle.

Also, has anyone seen updated information on the recent batches of Adam and their bottling dates? I believe the website stops at 85. I've emailed them, but a week has passed without response. I'm trying to find some from late 2012.

I haven't had batch 90. I think late 2012 would go up to 87 or 88. I'll see if I have a spare to send you.

I have some bottles of batch 62 (2004)

This thread made me realize its been more than 2 years since I opened one. But reading your description is neat because my review reads like a blend of your description of the bottles you drank both older and younger.

BTW I miss nanoslug :(

I'll tell them you said hi. I didn't realize you knew them.

I just found a batch 90, will drink that next year and report back. Also, I have a batch 88 with your name on it.

Them? Maybe I'm thinking of someone different.

I thought I remembered someone named nanoslug from the old days on BA. I might be mis-remembering.

Same folks. Husband and wife share the account. They don't post anymore though.

No idea. I have a few vintages of Fred going back to #63, I think -- I'll open those within a few months and report back.

We opened a Fred b30 magnum (brewed 1999 / bottled 2000) recently and it was quite good still. I've also had a couple of the batch 33 currently available at the brewpub and think it's doing nicely, although not as well as the magnum (which was opened on my wife's birthday, so psychological effects may have been in play, or maybe magnums really do age differently, make your own conclusions).

Honestly, I'm skeptical how much a limited sampling of batches really say about how well HotD ages in general. There's substantial variation between batches on release, and 6 months after release. I have a hard time believing they all drink similarly after 5 years or 10 years.

Honestly, I'm skeptical how much a limited sampling of batches really say about how well HotD ages in general. There's substantial variation between batches on release, and 6 months after release. I have a hard time believing they all drink similarly after 5 years or 10 years.
This is my general feeling too but when I find a batch that is tasting great out of the chute I tend to scoop up a good deal of those bottles.

I did a vertical of Adam last year and posted the results. I decided to copy my notes over here since I was looking them up anyway.

I had a few friends over and we opened bottles of:

batch 26 (1997, 12oz)
batch 39 (1999, 1.5L)
batch 55 (2002, 12oz)
batch 70 (2005?, 12oz)
batch 81 (2011, 3L)

The batch 26, purchased from the brewery, was unanimously over the hill. It was dry, nearly flat, and very thin. The oxidation (sherry and cardboard) gave it a cola-like character. It didn't get finished. I was really disappointed, as it was, on a $/oz basis, the most expensive bottle of the tasting. I would not pay or trade a lot for anything of this age again.

Batch 39 was better. It showed some signs of cardboard, and it was also dry and undercarbed, but it had a nice melange of sherry with some dark fruit character lingering. I like Adam for its tobacco and leather flavors, and that was found here in mild, accenting amounts. If I were offered another batch 39 (or similar age) magnum again, I might take it for the interest factor.

Batch 55 had the most tobacco/leather of all of the batches. It was moderately dry, properly carbonated, and the oxidation cut its sweetness nicely without going too far. I would say, comparing this to batch 39, that b39 was a tad beyond its peak. I would not age Adam beyond 10 years after having this bottle.

Batch 70 was probably my favorite, because it had the sweetness of young Adam, moderate oxidation, and a good body. It didn't have the leather and tobacco that I enjoy, so I guess it could use another year or two to develop that. I also get the sense that it could be batch variation (some batches having more tobacco / leather than others). I say this because I've drank batch 55 Adam a few times over the past 3 years, and it has always had a strong, unchanging amount of those flavors, whereas younger Adams have not shown any progression of that profile. It seems that what they start with sticks around, but doesn't necessarily increase.

Batch 81 was overcarbonated; it gushed all over the floor. It had a spicy, peppery finish that reminded me of Belgian yeast. It was also the hoppiest with some noticeable flavors of earth. I didn't like it as much as b55 or b70, but everyone else loved it.

Note: since that vertical, I have drank various batches of Adam. 88 is the most recent one, I believe. It reminds me more of 'traditional' Adam, and that Belgian influence I detected is gone. It has a restrained tobacco / leather presence with a stronger emphasis on dark fruit, without being treacly. I am curious to see how this ages. I suspect it will progress a lot like batch 70, albeit with more tobacco.

An official photo, with a 3L perched on the massive biceps of Nanoslug:

20120421_222801.jpg

Yes, we had a t-shirt designed for the tasting.

The Cherry Adam from the Wood magnum (2009) was opened at a previous tasting. I felt like it had gone a bit past its peak, and I say this as someone who once gave that batch a perfect 5.0 and have consumed it religiously every few months. The 2011 batch was drinking pretty well in mid-2012. I felt it peaked by the end of the year, and now I think it is on its way down. The 2012 batch of Cherry Adam from the Wood was a disappointment.
This is the most interesting thread on this entire site. Thank you for copying the pasta. Adam is my favorite year-round beer. A couple months ago I consumed a 2 year old Adam and it was just incredibly rich, more leather than tobacco. I also had a batch 89 recently, and it just seemed way too hoppy for what I remember. I couldn't finish it. I'd be inclined to agree there is some bottle variation.

I still have another 2 year old Adam, and I'm afraid I won't hold on to it for much longer. What would you recommend as the sweet spot for aged Adam?

Will check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure I have some of what you're looking for. Can hold onto 1-2 bottles for you until I get out of the academy.

Well, that's why I put this disclaimer in:

I also get the sense that it could be batch variation (some batches having more tobacco / leather than others).

There's also bottle variation and palate variation as major factors. I'd love to do this on a larger scale, with repeats and other ways to tease out other factors and make it more rigorous, but that's not feasible. I'd love to make a customized solution for every batch, but at some point you need a rule of thumb to simplify things.

I still have another 2 year old Adam, and I'm afraid I won't hold on to it for much longer. What would you recommend as the sweet spot for aged Adam?

Well, as kscaldef points out, it is tough to make a general proclamation when you consider everything. My only rule is not to age beyond 10 years, but I don't have targets before that. I just buy a bunch of Adam and open it whenever. Can't go wrong with opening it now, though.

Last edited:
I agree pretty closely with Arbitrator's HotD assessment on Adam. I recently had a batch 3, from 1993-1994 and while it was fun to try, it definitely was outside of the tastes that I usually enjoy in Adam (leather and tobacco with. Hint of sweetness). I really enjoy Adam around 3 years of age as the sweetness dies down a bit.
At this same tasting, we had batch 1 Adam from the Wood, Eve, and batch 1 Fred. All of those were a bit past their prime as well. Dave however is magical. Had that over the summer and it really blew my mind being that it was 19 years old.

Cheers all,
Ryan

Back