US - Northwest Ale Apothecary Ale Club 2016

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by evilhead, Apr 30, 2016.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster

You're right--there is definitely an acetic character to all of the beer. I don't mind it because it isn't (to me) the aggressively sharp acetic acid character of a fermentation gone wrong but I can still see how people don't enjoy it or would tire of it.

My house sour culture has Ale Apothecary dregs and it gets that same acetic character no matter how much oxygen I keep away from it. It gets rampant if given the chance to come in contact with too much oxygen so it's a real PITA to brew with. My beers are a little softer than Ale Apothecary but that might be the other participants in my culture or that I'm generally brewing beer with half the ABV.

jmgrub and FoudreGuy like this.
  2. ikeaparty

ikeaparty

There is a couple beers they mention in the email that drew me in, Rum Peach La Tache and a stout, I was on the fence but that got me over

FoudreGuy likes this.
  3. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

I had a bottle of Rum Peach La Tache with beerscenes years ago and that was damn good.

waltersrj, sharpski, jmgrub and 3 others like this.
  4. Zach

Zach

Paul wrote about some acidity issues before the start of last year. Essentially, it's not intentional, but how they brew allows many opportunities for oxygen to reach the beer. He's making an effort to reduce the acidity. I still found some of last year's beers acidic. Caballo Negro, Double Peach La Tache, Marionberry Whoops!, and Minotaur in particular. Smothered in Hugs was very far from acidic and reminded me of BA Dorothy b1 I had a week prior.

But even with the acidic beers, I think there's a lot to appreciate. I put together a double blind tasting for friends and family, who all have a strong dislike for acidity, so I was surprised when they picked out Double Peach La Tache as their favorite among Transmigration of Light, A Thousand Summers, and The Nectarine. I guess I can't think of a brewery making AA-esque beers minus the acidity, so I re-upped.

5. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

Acidity isn’t necessarily the same thing as acetic qualities that I’m picking up. OG de Garde was super acidic but not the pungent vinegar/glacial acetic acid notes that I pick up consistently in AA.

I clearly spent too long working in a chemistry lab in college.

6. beerscenes

beerscenes

Sounds like I should open my Smothered in Hugs.

facesnorth, bignuke61 and FoudreGuy like this.
  7. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy

I want to wash all my linens in concentrated Ralph. Lawd, have mercy.

waltersrj likes this.
  8. EFaden

EFaden

If anyone is willing I'm trying to find a proxy to grab my bottles of the two colabs. Thanks in advance.