Ale Apothecary Tasting, Jan 18th, 5pm - Harrymel's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrymel1

Reaction score
Match 2: Ale Apothecary.

Location: Harrymel's place, you all know where that is in Spokanistan, WA
Time: 5pm-11pm (let's try and stick somewhere in here)

Main Lineup: Ale Apothecary
La Tache (TBFKA) - 08/23/13
Sahati - 11/01/13
Sahalie - 08/03/13
Sahalien - 07/2013
Spencer - 2013
Cuatro - 03/23/13

Sidebars/Theme:
While we will try to stick in the same area of beer, anything is welcome. Here are some styles-
Saisons
Wild Ales
Belgian Blondes/Goldens
Berliner Weisse
Wheat Wine
Lambic
Spontane Style

There will be a total of six tasters this time around - Kimberly will be participating, but usually takes short pours.

If you have other styles to add, do it. Please post what you will be adding in this thread so we don't duplicate. Same standard rules, you're welcome to get shitfaced, but I will slash your tires if you try to drive home in said condition.

bthomas, JoeLikesBeer, SaltyMalty

Trady - you jelly bro?

Last edited:
I was chatting around, and thought maybe, since some of us have multiple bottles, we should post our bottle dates and ABV from the different batches.

tentative bottle list for us.

Ale Apothecary El Cuatro bottled 3.23.13
DeGarde Vin Rougie bottled 2013
Upright Blend Love 2013
Cascade Blueberry 2012 Project
Upright Sole Composition Provisions 2013

Last edited:
TBFKA La Tache: Aug. 23, 2013- 8.14%
Sahalien: July 2013- 9%
Sahalie: Aug. 03, 2013- 10.77%
Sahatie: Nov. 01, 2013- 9.72%
Spencer: 2013- 10.7%

I've also been working on a mustache. Not sure if it'll last until then but I'll try. It'll likely be sleazier than harrymel 's beautiful gem.

Everything listed so far is in 750's, right? Looking like a lots of beers even before my contribution. Just sayin.

Everything listed so far is in 750's, right? Looking like a lots of beers even before my contribution. Just sayin.
Looks like about 1.5 750ml bottle per person over 6 hours. That too much? That's about three beers in six hours. That being said, all the Apothecary beers hover around 10% IIRC. But the others are lower.

Looks like about 1.5 750ml bottle per person over 6 hours. That too much? That's about three beers in six hours. That being said, all the Apothecary beers hover around 10% IIRC. But the others are lower.

Oh, I'm seeing now that your main lineup in the OP is the same beers in Señor Salty's reply. I was thinking 15 bottles = 3 apiece minus your wife's thimble fulls.

Carry on.

This will probably change because of stuff in the works. Based on current stock:

Logsdon Seizoen Bretta - Old bottle <5000. Hope you have a mop. I have newer bottles if we want to compare the funk.
NG Berliner Weisse - 12oz
St. Lam - 750
2010 JB's sun-aged Big Sky Kriek - This is happening no matter what. **** all your toilets.

I think 3 750's of varied ABV per person is doable in one night, but then again I have a raging drinking problem and high alcohol tolerance.

Any input on nibbles? I'm bringing some of my more infamous house made cheese spreads and a meat contribution from Portland. Maybe some crackers.

Any input on nibbles? I'm bringing some of my more infamous house made cheese spreads and a meat contribution from Portland. Maybe some crackers.
We didn't even remotely consume the amount of goods we had last time. So maybe a little more than that, but not much more. I plan on having a meal just prior to the start (with the old folks at 4pm probably), so I can't imagine we will need much to munch on.

I will have some veggies around, some goat cheese. I've even got some of Joe's cheese left, might bust that out - unless you are all scared of fridge aged cheddar.

Bottom line is I wouldn't go nuts, as we tend not to eat much during our alcohol exploits.

Anyone else besides Joe that has a wish list for me while I'm bottle shopping let me know. I'm in town now and the buying......... has begun.

By "town" I meant Portland.

Last edited:
2 bits of bad news-
A. My mustache had to be removed due to job stuff.
B. I may not be able to get to Harry's until 5:30. I've been trying to work something out with work but my advances have all been rejected so far.

So I can stick with what I originally posted or sub in one or more of these:

DeGarde - Spears
Upright - Fatali Four
Upright - Saison Du Blodget

Whatcha think?

This will probably change because of stuff in the works. Based on current stock:

Logsdon Seizoen Bretta - Old bottle <5000. Hope you have a mop. I have newer bottles if we want to compare the funk.
NG Berliner Weisse - 12oz
St. Lam - 750
2010 JB's sun-aged Big Sky Kriek - This is happening no matter what. **** all your toilets.
So I can stick with what I originally posted or sub in one or more of these:

DeGarde - Spears
Upright - Fatali Four
Upright - Saison Du Blodget

Whatcha think?
I say bring:
St. Lam or Fatali Four
JB's Sun-aged Big Sky
Upright Saison Du Blodget

Please post your final decision so I can update with final bottle listing.

I say bring:
St. Lam or Fatali Four
JB's Sun-aged Big Sky
Upright Saison Du Blodget

Please post your final decision so I can update with final bottle listing.

Let's go with that list right there with Fatali Four, Big Sky, and Saison Du budget.

So, here's our current lineup, and I haven't added to the list yet:

Main Stage: Ale Apothecary
  • La Tache (TBFKA) - 6%
  • Sahati - 11%
  • Sahalie - 10%
  • Sahalien - 11%
  • Spencer - 9%
  • Cuatro - 11%
Second Stage:
  • 2010 Big Sky Kriek - 10%
  • 2013 degardebrewing Vin Rougie - 7.6%
  • 2012 Cascade Blueberry - 7.3%
  • 2010 Upright Fatali Four - 4.5%
  • 2011 Upright Saison Du Blodget - 5.7%
  • 2013 Upright Blend Love - 5.5%
  • 2013 Upright Sole Comp Provisions - 7.3%
I propose we hide the Upright bottles and do a separate, Upright tasting. I've got two different bottles I can offer up at this point, making six different ones - anybody with me? bthomas JoeLikesBeer SaltyMalty

Here's what I'm thinking for additions to the lineup: this assumes we remove the Upright.
Joe: Logsdon Seiaiouzoun Bretta
Brian: one bottle of something else not Upright

I will add:
Jackie O's Berliner Weisse
Jackie O's Evelyn
Jackie O's Funky South Paw
New Logsdon Seieieisieixzon Bretta

**Jackie O's Courtesy of MarkIntihar (we did a shelf turd trade)

I'd be OK with a separate Upright tasting and have a couple I could contribute as well as a peach sour fermenting off of dregs from Special Herbs that'll hopefully be ready in a couple months.

Separate upright night is good with me. Just a heads up, I can't contribute in February as I will be unavailable all month and you can't drink my beer without me.

I'll bring the big sky and Logsdons. Bthomas will have the degarde gin beer for delivery at the tasting.

So, do you all want to play a game while we taste some beers? Also, I will probably get hungry and order some pizza at some point - Papa John's, you know, for the petroleum based garlic butter.

Also, be ready for me to have my computer around so I can properly undervalue all the beer at the table formally.

Finally, since Will is gonna be late, we will all have an opportunity to slam some .rar beer before he gets there.

So, do you all want to play a game while we taste some beers? Also, I will probably get hungry and order some pizza at some point - Papa John's, you know, for the petroleum based garlic butter.

Also, be ready for me to have my computer around so I can properly undervalue all the beer at the table formally.

Finally, since Will is gonna be late, we will all have an opportunity to slam some .rar beer before he gets there.
If the game is 7 minutes in heaven then I call Joe! And just let me smell your mouths after the .rar beer. Also I might've gotten my work situation sorted but I'll still want to smell your mouths.

Back