AleSmith 3-Day Speedway Grand Prix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F-in beer week.

Well said. I'm fine with all the drinking, its my wallet that is hurting. Hardest thing was deciding which day to do Alesmith on - btwn another potential keg of CC at Toro wednesday, sierra nevada specialty night at obriens thursday, and Tysons big ass barrel aged bonanza at obriens friday, I figured Thursday was best for me for Alesmith. That way I could check obriens after for SN night, then stop by Alesmith friday depending on the random one off speedway they'll have on before I hit up obriens for barrel aged bonanza.

Everybody stay calm:
@thefullpint: 4 Beers Revealed for @AleSmithBrewing Speedway Grand Prix http://t.co/GEQ7Qtt1oJ #craftbeer #CAbeer #SDBW

"We just got word on four of the variations, still leaving another 9 to be a surprise this Wednesday.

Single Varietal Coffee Speedway (Nicaraguan Coffee)

Pumpkin Latte Speedway

Coconut & Vanilla Bean Speedway

Thai Chili Speedway

Nibs & Beans Speedway"

@AleSmithBrewing: 3-Day SS Grand Prix- Lap 2: Birds Eye Chili SS, Macadamia Nut SS, Turkish Coffee SS, Pumpkin Latte SS & Viet. SS w/ Vanilla/nibs/raspberry.

So I guess vanilla and coconut will be on a random day or they were misinformed:(

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...21967421147391&type=1&relevant_count=5&ref=nf

1391674_684654651545329_108363645_n.jpg

Who went? What did you think?

I was a bit, no quite a bit, underwhelmed. I didn't think any of the variants were bad/icky, but I didn't have any that I liked a lot better than the gold old plain Speedway. My favorite (which surprised me) was the Pumpkin Latte Speedway. I also like the Speedway with Raspberries. I was very disappointed in the PB Cup / Vietnamese Coffee Speedway. I don't know why I expected more, but I did.

Who went? What did you think?

I was a bit, no quite a bit, underwhelmed. I didn't think any of the variants were bad/icky, but I didn't have any that I liked a lot better than the gold old plain Speedway. My favorite (which surprised me) was the Pumpkin Latte Speedway. I also like the Speedway with Raspberries. I was very disappointed in the PB Cup / Vietnamese Coffee Speedway. I don't know why I expected more, but I did.
I'm going tomorrow. Did the casks and "Speedway Special" last all night? Just wondering if I need to get there early.

I separated my laps over two days -- figured that 10oz of flights left me a little headroom to get tasters of the draught one-offs and still make it back to work and be somewhat productive. Did Lap 1 yesterday and wasn't super impressed. PB Cup was too subtle for my taste, Fresh Raspberry was too unbalanced, Cherry Amaretto was ok, Nicaraguan was solid and the best of the flight imo. Also tried the New Mexico Pinon on draft and liked it, though rank it below standard Vietnamese.

Today I did Lap 2 and that's where the good stuff is, imo. The only one I wasn't particularly fond of was macadamia. It had a distinct flavor but I wouldn't call it macadamia. The thai chili variant impressed me as someone who loves spicy foods -- I thought it added more complexity and the amount of heat was nice (definitely do that one last). Coconut Speedway was friggin great, wished I saved some thai chili to mix them together for HeavySpeedway tom kha-ish action. I did mention it to the redhead beertender though, and she brought up possibly mixing coconut and macadamia. My favorite from Lap 2 was either the vanilla/nibs/raspberry or the turkish coffee/cardamom, but I ended up casting my final vote for the nilla raspberry just to get something other than another coffee variant out there.

lapsang tea was a waste of a taster in the flight IMO but I can respect if people liked it, although I personally can't fathom it. PB cup viet was my favorite in Lap 1. I'll find out more about lap 2 tomorrow. Also coconut SS on tap was pretty delicious

lapsang tea was a waste of a taster in the flight IMO but I can respect if people liked it, although I personally can't fathom it. PB cup viet was my favorite in Lap 1. I'll find out more about lap 2 tomorrow. Also coconut SS on tap was pretty delicious
PB Cup was my favorite of Lap 1 too. I thought the rest were pretty meh, especially Lapsang. Lap 2 was much better, so you have something to look forward to. Coconut was great! ...I mixed a bit of it into all the variants I didn't like and they got better :D.

lapsang was exactly what i thought it would be. smoky, astringent, pretty gross.

idk, i was kind of underwhelmed on the whole also. pb, pumpkin latte, vanilla/rasp were solid. the rest... ehhh.

I wasn’t there (going today), but judging by that pic, no. I always keep my Alesmith grumbler in my car’s trunk just in case though. ;)

Back