American Wild Ale Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stupac2

Reaction score
This is a thread to talk about American Wild Ales! Sure, they're not as sexy as lambic, but they're still delicious!

To start I'll say that I would do horrible, horrible things to get a Temptation 3L. I hope they actually release them this year...

Last edited by a moderator:
Proposition: Iris is a Belgian-American Wild, not a lambic.

I, too, would do very nasty things for a 3L Temptation. I need one before my 40th, ideally well-before so it has plenty of time to age...

I also need much moar Crooked Stave.

I haven't been impressed Crooked Stave yet, but I also haven't had Persica. Their **** tends to be all about Brett, and I think they use a strain I don't like.

Proposition: Iris is a Belgian-American Wild, not a lambic.

I, too, would do very nasty things for a 3L Temptation. I need one before my 40th, ideally well-before so it has plenty of time to age...

I also need much moar Crooked Stave.
I wish we got Crooked Stave in Michigan. I would be all over that! I had St. Bretta the other day and was soooo happy!

I also had Framboise for a Cure thanks to schwartzoid. What a fantastic beer. However, I got up to use the bathroom and my girlfriend drank the rest of mine. She LOVES American Wilds (probably why she's dating me:))

STORY: I'm sitting around one night drinking a Sanctification. Beth decides to take a sip. Now, up to this point, I have let her try all the beer I drank EXCEPT sours. I didn't want her getting hooked and drinking all of mine. She instantly fell in love! She asked if I had any more like it. I told her that they are all kept in the cellar on the right side of the wine rack and to grab a Russian River. She returns shortly after with a Beatification B1 asking if it was similar. I told her it was the same style. We opened it right there and split it between the two of us. It felt good. :cool:

I wish we got Crooked Stave in Michigan. I would be all over that! I had St. Bretta the other day and was soooo happy!

I also had Framboise for a Cure thanks to schwartzoid. What a fantastic beer. However, I got up to use the bathroom and my girlfriend drank the rest of mine. She LOVES American Wilds (probably why she's dating me:))

STORY: I'm sitting around one night drinking a Sanctification. Beth decides to take a sip. Now, up to this point, I have let her try all the beer I drank EXCEPT sours. I didn't want her getting hooked and drinking all of mine. She instantly fell in love! She asked if I had any more like it. I told her that they are all kept in the cellar on the right side of the wine rack and to grab a Russian River. She returns shortly after with a Beatification B1 asking if it was similar. I told her it was the same style. We opened it right there and split it between the two of us. It felt good. :cool:
Man, I haven't even had a Beat B1 yet.

Right in the feels.

But I've had pH1, HAS BETH HAD THAT? HUH, BETH???
No... She did really like the 4 bottles of Blueberry Eisbock we drank. It was her favorite.

This thread is turning into you vs. my girlfriend. It's weird because you are geographically closer to her than I am...

No... She did really like the 4 bottles of Blueberry Eisbock we drank. It was her favorite.

This thread is turning into you vs. my girlfriend. It's weird because you are geographically closer to her than I am...
Operation steal Michigan's girlfriend has already begun.

It's not going very well.
i dislike this statement so ****ing hard.
Yeah, I know, lots of people like their stuff. I just don't, man, okay? I think there's some weird **** about 100% brett beers that turns me off, at least with certain strains.

My neckbeard is bigger than yours. I will duel you!!
I got a new beard trimmer recently and I don't know how to use it very well, so my neckbeard is actually kinda long right now. Also I'm not sure how you duel with neckbeards.

When fresh, this was one of the best AWAs I've had yet...

APpPUyT.jpg

It's since evolved into a totally different beer. Still tasty though.

I haven't been impressed Crooked Stave yet, but I also haven't had Persica. Their **** tends to be all about Brett, and I think they use a strain I don't like.
Please don't take this as snarky but...

You start an "American Wild Ale Thread" then say that one of the few (maybe only) breweries that focus themselves around Brettanomyces and say it "isn't your thing". Can you give some more examples of Wild Ales that you prefer, besides
Operation steal Michigan's girlfriend has already begun.

It's not going very well.

Yeah, I know, lots of people like their stuff. I just don't, man, okay? I think there's some weird **** about 100% brett beers that turns me off, at least with certain strains.
It must be the strain that's not doing it for you. Many times Chad has said that they might be more Brett. strains than there are Sach. strains. I believe he is using one that has been isolated from 3F, do you find anything that you don't like in any of 3F beers?

Please don't take this as snarky but...

You start an "American Wild Ale Thread" then say that one of the few (maybe only) breweries that focus themselves around Brettanomyces and say it "isn't your thing". Can you give some more examples of Wild Ales that you prefer, besides

It must be the strain that's not doing it for you. Many times Chad has said that they might be more Brett. strains than there are Sach. strains. I believe he is using one that has been isolated from 3F, do you find anything that you don't like in any of 3F beers?
Well, to be fair I started this thread mostly because SeaWatchman said that the lambic thread wasn't the American Wild Ale thread. But, regardless, is there a problem with not liking 100% brett beers? And 3F beers have a lot more going on. My problem with the CS beers I've had is that there's this one flavor (that I find hard to describe) that gets really prevalent in 100% brett beers, and I only find in 100% brett beers, and all of their stuff has it. 3F lambic has lots of other stuff going on so I don't notice it.

But I find this questions sort of baffling because I named Temptation in the beginning as one I love. Also I don't really understand why people care what other people like. I don't like CS beers, so what?

Sanctification is awesome and all Brett baby.
I actually like Sanctification, which is what makes me think it's a specific strain that bugs me. I know that different strains can do weird things, like the one that makes pineapple flavors (clausinii, IIRC).
Clearly, Stu, you are a communist.

I love CS beers.

(Actually I am GLAD you don't because it means one less neckbeard I have to out race for something I like)

And best AWA? Funky South Paw....there I said it.
Yeah you don't have to worry about me chasing down CS, but I do have a drinking buddy in their club so I end up tasting a lot of it.

What's Funky South Paw? I think I've heard about it but I don't know its story.

It's not though. Primary with brett only, then gets a full dose of cultures. Horribly misleading label.
It's (IMO) the biggest reason alot of folks think Brett=sour.

Agreed on it being a tasty beer though!
A lot of the CS beers aren't all-brett by that standard, either, though, as they use extensive bugs on most of their beers. All-brett usually just means no sacchromyces, which both Sanctification and things like Vielle meet.

CS is a weird one for me. I love of all of their non-rare stuff I've had so far, but the WWB stuff I've had carried a flavor, clearly related to the strain, that didn't work well for me. Which is fine. St. Bretta is one of the most interesting beers I've ever tasted, and I could drink Vielle all day long.

Back