Another San Diego question thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHeadScott

Reaction score
Howdy gang.

Getting together in SD with family and new grandson on Friday, heading home Monday.
I hope Alpine has plenty of Nelson bottled on Saturday as I'm bringing the wife and kids for maximum bottle purchase to take home in my luggage.
My daughter wants to check out Barrel Republic, but I'm not sure about it. I'd rather go to Pizza Port and drink their beer with pizza. Barrel Republic's website doesn't show a food menu. It looks like it's a place with open taps to sample what ever your heart desires and probably get a nasty buzz on, which means driving afterwards, which is a no no to me. Have any of you been there, and could I hear your thoughts on it?
Might hit Societe too, I must try Pupil, last time I was there they were OUT. Last time at Alpine they were OUT of Nelson in the bottle. Dark clouds seem to follow me in my beer drinking escapades. Heard great things about Coronado too, another possibility.
Should I just stay home??????

Barrel Republic makes me sad for some reason. No, there isn't any food, and you pour your own beer from taps in the wall. It is sort of cool in a "check this out" sense, but it only merits one visit. Lots of brahs there, too.

Any Pizza Port >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Barrel Republic

also i didnt even know what barrel republic was before this thread so thank you for that

also i didnt even know what barrel republic was before this thread so thank you for that

Sounds like you haven't missed out on much. I'm going to try really hard to convince the kids that pizza port would be a much better choice.

I also like to hit Hodad's for the double bacon cheeseburger when in SD, I like the "I don't give a ****" attitude the employees have, along with the music that I normally don't listen to.

Any other killer burgers around? Might go to Slaters instead of Hodads because of the freaking tap selection...

If you want an amazing American burger go to Rocky's in Crown Point, cash only, must be 21+, simple menu (burger, cheese burger, fries). They also have some decent beers on tap.

Otherwise Raglan has great creative burgers and a solid beer menu.

Another close by place is Session's Public. It is farm to table, so a little pricey. They also have a good beer menu, though as a warning, I usually leave disappointed with the service.

But definitely go to PPOB over Barrel Republic. They have a fresh batch of Jetty IPA as of 3 days ago. If the others want to sample stuff you can do taster flights at PPOB.

Barrel Republic is fun if you want the ticks, but on weekends there can be lines out the door. Also, the prices may seem reasonable since you can only get an oz or two tasters, but some of them can total out to about $10 per full pour.

Sessions and Raglan are both solid choices. If you're in the mood for some pho, make sure to hit up OB Noodle House too. They do primarily Viet-style food/noodles, but they usually have a great taplist.

Been to Barrel Republic twice. First time for the GI Takeover, I had a pint of BCBCS and a taster of Rare, so that was amazing. Second time was to pick up my credit card that I left behind from the GI Takeover the day prior :)

Would not bang again unless there was some event that I needed to tick at.

If you must go to to PB, go to the BP TapRoom, a few doors down from Barrel Republic. Which is an OK place, but more of a novelty joint.

Can't go wrong with PPOB. I love that place and within walking distance are a few other places to hit. Raglan being one and Newport Pizza to check out what they have on. Some time some rare gems that aren't advertised.

Alpine and Societe....ya gotta hit and if near Societe hitting Council around the way is worth a stop too...just get a taster flight and move on.

There's so many places now you won't be able to hit 'em all.

If you want an amazing American burger go to Rocky's in Crown Point, cash only, must be 21+, simple menu (burger, cheese burger, fries). They also have some decent beers on tap.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Rocky's - but I think it's a far stretch from amazing when it comes to burgers. I'd use a word more like "solid." It's consistent, old-school but not wowing in any way.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Rocky's - but I think it's a far stretch from amazing when it comes to burgers. I'd use a word more like "solid." It's consistent, old-school but not wowing in any way.
We did Rocky's about a year ago after hearing about it being better than Hodads. Cracked me up walking inside and the greeter/worker blurts out "Cash only" as we walk in? Not a "welcome", or anything that resembled a thanks for coming, or not a whiff of appreciation that we decided to go into their establishment. I thought it was odd, but can look over many things in life. We got our burgers, and out of the four of us, none were wowed by them. Maybe it was a bad day in the kitchen, I dunno. It's a "been there, done that" place for me.
Looks like Raglan is on the hit list next. Damn, planning my few days around food and beer. Not sure this is normal. Who wants to be normal...

We did Rocky's about a year ago after hearing about it being better than Hodads. Cracked me up walking inside and the greeter/worker blurts out "Cash only" as we walk in? Not a "welcome", or anything that resembled a thanks for coming, or not a whiff of appreciation that we decided to go into their establishment. I thought it was odd, but can look over many things in life. We got our burgers, and out of the four of us, none were wowed by them. Maybe it was a bad day in the kitchen, I dunno. It's a "been there, done that" place for me.
Looks like Raglan is on the hit list next. Damn, planning my few days around food and beer. Not sure this is normal. Who wants to be normal...

I agree that it isn't a top shelf burger. But for a classic messy American burger (such as Hodad's) it is my favorite. The service in there is definitely geared towards regulars. While they can be standoffish I have found them friendly at heart. I think they like the idea of running a standard locals bar, but they get a lot of tourist and that is not their cup of tea. Last time I went I had to order to go because I forgot to tell the people I was going with to bring their ID/passport. They had to leave before I could order, it sucked, and though he was a no excuse type guy (they looked well over 21) he also apologized and stated he has to be extra careful during the summer. I know a couple of other cash only places that will tell you (yell to you) right when you enter that they are cash only. Typically it is during a busy time of the year during the summer.

I do prefer other burgers of Rocky's. I think the best ones in SD are at Session's and the Neighborhood. Raglan's are really good too, along with Jimmy's Famous American Tavern (J-FATs). I like burgers that are done up a little bit, but my wife has been on a kick where she wants simple burgers, and Rocky's is her favorite.

TL;DR : Rocky's can be abrasive. Their burgers are the same style as Hodad's, but I think way better. However, I prefer many other place's burger over theirs.

Back