Another Upland shady deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridglens

Reaction score
I meant to post this a while back to see if anyone noticed/knew details, but now i'm bored at work. It's probably not that big of a deal, but again, boredom and it's ****ing 12 below down here and i'm pissier than a one-legged man at an ass-kicking contest.

Upland put the 2012 Winter warmer on their "bomber sale" last spring because the bottles were old and they wanted to get rid of them (they do this with their seasonals a lot, not a bad deal on the few that hold up ok), they dropped the price from like $8-9 to something like $3.50, $30/case, etc. Anyway, i thought the beer still tasted ok for most of the year, but had tons of protein-y floaties (beyond just yeast sediment i think, but i'm no expert) and was becoming stale/oxidized in later in the fall. Whatever, it's a 8-9% barleywine.

Then this winter, when the 2013 batch came out, they jacked the price of the 2012 back up to $10 or something, called it "cellared", and put a sticker on the bottle or something! To be fair, maybe these were refrigerated or stored differently than the 3 buck bottles they were selling the week before (they looked the same), but it seems like another sketchy deal from upland. It probably wouldn't bother me but i saw a few people were talked out of fresh WW or Teddy Bear Kisses because the "cellared" winter warmer was probably better because it's aged...

I'm likely being grumpy old man dramatic about it (i'm not that old...just extra bitter), but Upland is feeling less and less "on our side" lately... Or maybe i'm just sensitive after the 25% increase in sour bottle prices and the awesome secret reserve club this year (sorry MordorMongo )...

vent over.

Last edited:
I try to be on Upland's side on a lot of this, I really do, but you're completely right about the WW'12. They've been basically giving it away for a year. Since early 2013 at least, I remember them selling that and something else at a DEEEEEP discount, like I almost felt stupid not buying it and I don't even care for that beer.

The up-charge on the Lambic bottles is also annoying, but I've not bitched openly about it (I don't think at least). But seriously, does that surprise you at all considering they've started their RS/Kickstarter-ish thing this year? If they've got the balls to do that, I won't be at all surprised if we soon see their Lambic at $30 before taxes.

Oh, and btw, there isn't a storage method out there that will make any bottle of WW worth $3 more, or like $.25 more for that matter.

People still buy upland?

unfortunately... yes.

I mean, i don't buy their beer to drink anywhere but their brewpub/tasting room (you know, where there's anything else), and i'm only there if we're meeting others there, but still...

Upland is like Jay Cutler. No one likes it, but sometimes locals have no choice ;)

unfortunately... yes.

I mean, i don't buy their beer to drink anywhere but their brewpub/tasting room (you know, where there's anything else), and i'm only there if we're meeting others there, but still...

Upland is like Jay Cutler. No one likes it, but sometimes locals have no choice ;)
Two demerits for not tagging MarkIntihar.

I spent a lot more time in college drinking at BBC on Sundays than I did Upland.

Never had an Upland before and now must say am a bit dismayed to try one.........

Their sours are very good, although sometimes too acidic but good nonetheless. Otherwise, go to your local mediocre/low end brewpub and buy yourself a pint. That should be a pretty accurate representation of a visit to Upland.

Merrrrr..... I occasionally have to be in southeast IN for work and thought of making a trek to check out Upland on one of my next trips. Discouraging and disappointing.

Upland n00b question, they don't normally carry sours on tap, correct?

Merrrrr..... I occasionally have to be in southeast IN for work and thought of making a trek to check out Upland on one of my next trips. Discouraging and disappointing.

Upland n00b question, they don't normally carry sours on tap, correct?

Never. long ago you might hope to find one in their "on-site" cooler, but those days have passed.

To be fair, i think the food at the brewpub is pretty good (great nachos/pulled pork), but if you are looking for a good beer in bloomington there are far better options!

Never. long ago you might hope to find one in their "on-site" cooler, but those days have passed.

To be fair, i think the food at the brewpub is pretty good (great nachos/pulled pork), but if you are looking for a good beer in bloomington there are far better options!
Gotcha.
Hookabrotherup and tell me where I should go for beer (first) and food (second) in the Indy/Richmond area (or south of that). Cheers!

Gotcha.
Hookabrotherup and tell me where I should go for beer (first) and food (second) in the Indy/Richmond area (or south of that). Cheers!
Ale Emporium. For both.

bnCgS.gif

Back