Any advice for stopping mold in your cellar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silversurfs

Reaction score
I have previously posted my setup... I got a freezerless Woods fridge and bought a temperature controller, to keep it between 10 and 12 Celsius. I keep the probe in a bottle of water for better temp control. I have noticed in the last week (its been running since January) that a few bottles have got a little mold on the sides. One certain vintage of Singularity, and weirdly, most of my Russian River bottles. I see some condensation on the sides, so I'll clean that up, plus, clean the bottles, I suppose. I'm wondering how to prevent it in future. Any advice, anything I can put in the fridge that will help?

91hrlExXbmL._SL1500_.jpg

In addition to damprid, it sounds like you should get rid of the bottle of water in the fridge.

He can also just seal the bottle if he wants to keep it for temperature control. Either tape/glue the thermometer to a hole in the lid, or if it has a separate probe or can be read from inside the bottle, just put it in there and close it up. Better thermal inertia, no extra water getting into the air.

Or just go with a dry thermometer. I don't think it needs to be that accurate in this situation.

Back