Any audiophiles or head-fi'ers?

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by Farnsworth, Sep 20, 2014.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. quirk6

quirk6

Also on ebay for 49.99, unfortunately for me those wouldn't be here until after I'm already in Hawaii. Still, the full price is in my preferred range.

2. Bill

Bill

[​IMG]

ZMF Auteur Blackwood Edition, most musical headphones I've heard, crazy resolve.

ASUBeer, pkeigan, Farnsworth and 2 others like this.
  3. quirk6

quirk6

Farnsworth likes this.
  4. Bill

Bill

Get a pair of ZMF, anything you buy will sound better.

5. quirk6

quirk6

And then I can use my ZMFs to listen to my KLF and EMF playlist.

Bill likes this.
  6. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

I’ve spent thousands and have god knows how many pairs and I listen to about the cheapest ones I have more than any by a mile and love them. I’ve gave up looking, DT-880 600ohm are my bae.

jivex5k, ASUBeer, Farnsworth and 2 others like this.
  7. jbuddle

jbuddle

Those are sick. I have those at work and hd650 at home. Not sure which I like more.

Gonzoillini and MordorMongo like this.
  8. vav

vav because the trump thread deserves a pulitzer Contributor

I just upgraded my turntable setup. U-Turn Orbit custom (acrylic platter upgrade, internal preamp, ortofon red cart) & Audioengine A2+ speakers

Bill, Farnsworth, Gonzoillini and 2 others like this.
  9. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

I love my uturn. If and when I ever get my VPI back I may sell it and try and upgrade a few levels on my BAT tube amp

10. vav

vav because the trump thread deserves a pulitzer Contributor

I do find the belt change for 33/45 to be fiddly....but the definition i'm getting out of this table + needle...i mean even my Lateralus picture discs sound good on that thing

11. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

I ended up just buying some extras and having them dedicated to 33/45. They aren’t too bad.

jivex5k, Farnsworth and Gonzoillini like this.
  12. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini

Minus the awful rearranging of the album to totally throw the flow out of order...

lurchingbeast

quirk6, vav, lurchingbeast and 2 others like this.
  13. Farnsworth

Farnsworth

The Denon D1000's were my first pair of decent headphones (which I think the e-mu's are based off of). We had a love affair for a good 5 years... and then I broke them... :(

quirk6, Gonzoillini and MordorMongo like this.
  14. Farnsworth

Farnsworth

Damn, ain't that the truth. The money I spent trying to top K-702's. :oops:

Gonzoillini and MordorMongo like this.
  15. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

To be honest I assumed AirPods were garbage but they are far and away the best in ear Bluetooth I’ve tried. Will never compete with real cans but WAY better than I figured they would be.

jivex5k, Gonzoillini and ASUBeer like this.
  16. yamar68

yamar68

So I've been rocking the same setup for a long time. Had a pair of late 70's Polk floor speakers - beefy fuckers from back when Polk made quality speakers - that sounded awesome paired up with my Yamaha R-V901 receiver. Well, we recently got another pup, and she decided on Friday night that it was high time she chewed a big whole in the woofer cone on one of those Polks. I intend to have the thing re-coned eventually, but I decided to use this as an excuse to buy some speakers that I've been lusting over.

[​IMG]

So I got a pair of Definitive Technology BP9040's hooked up to the same old Yamaha amp. These things sounds AWESOME. Here's a rundown of the specs: https://www.definitivetechnology.com/products/bp9040

Totally opposite side of the spectrum from where I was at. The Polks had a 12" woofer, a 4" mid and a couple of little tweeters. These Definitive Techs are vented with an active 8" woofer, plus two cone drones, two 4.5" mids, and an aluminum tweeter... plus another aluminum tweeter and another mid on the backside... plus a bunch of [mostly Bose-developed] tech stuff. I could not be happier with them. Let's hope the pup steers clear of them. :rolleyes:

17. Lutter

Lutter

I use a pair of my dad's full size Sony speakers that were a part of his college setup in the late 70s that "mysteriously went missing" when he "upgraded" to smaller bookshelf speakers. Heh.

yamar68 likes this.
  18. tikk

tikk

One of my kids smashed in one of the cones on my Martin Logan speakers, no one is taking credit. I'm not going to repair it, so I'm looking for some new floor speakers. I don't want to go crazy so I'm looking at below $1k. I only run a stereo setup, powered by an Emotiva power amp and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

Emotiva is doing a closeout on their airmotiv floor speakers, but I hate the look. For $1k I can add the subwoofer I've always wanted to add. I dont want to break the bank because I know one of these terrorists will probably smash it again.

yamar68 those definitive are amazing speakers. The bass from just a tower is ridiculous. Sets an excellent soundstage. I miss when I had an employee discount from when I sold them.

Gonzoillini, yamar68 and Farnsworth like this.
  19. jbuddle

jbuddle

I just got a pair of Elac unifi UF5 floorstanders and they are pretty f”ing awesome. Amazon for $800 shipped for the pair so meets your budget. Should be solid with your amp I think, I’m running a Schiit Vidar and they sound fantastic. Definitely suggest looking into these!

Farnsworth likes this.
  20. MrDave

MrDave

Maybe this isn't the right group, but I'm wondering if any of you have ever used Tascam devices. I'm wondering if one of their lower models is worth the investment. I just need something better than my Pixel for recording people in interviews outside of my studio (for a podcast). Thoughts?

[EDIT: tagging vav since I know he's a gear guy]