Anyone else not a fan of the milkshake IPAs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QueefLatina

Reaction score
Maybe it's just my personal taste but I am having trouble getting into this milkshake IPA fad. It's too sweet and strange of a flavor combination for me, even the ones that Tired Hands makes that are highly rated. IPA's with vanilla in them are just not my thing.

Respect tacos,
-Queef

Lit1GFc.gif

I don't understand milkshake IPAs but mostly because every time I've had one they don't even taste particularly different than a regular IPA. Maybe my taste buds are poor.

I like how Omnipollo always escape getting the blame for these.
Haha Omnipollo "dreamt up" the idea, but Tired Hands created the hype. I'd take a regular Tired Hands IPA or DIPA over a milkshake IPA any day, their hoppy stuff is really awesome.

Not a fan. One of the vanilla cans wasn't awful but it was shared, and a Midwest pour (or whatever the hell it's called) was plenty for me. I share the same opinions as you regarding taste etc.

Maybe we're doing it wrong. Maybe it tastes better if you put the effort into placing a folding chair on/in the line and all the jazz that comes with it.

I've only had one. It was Tired Hands Double Extra Vanilla and I thought it was undrinkable. It smelled fantastic but it was so incredibly over the top sweet that I couldn't get down more than a mouthful. No thanks.

I've only had one. It was Tired Hands Double Extra Vanilla and I thought it was undrinkable. It smelled fantastic but it was so incredibly over the top sweet that I couldn't get down more than a mouthful. No thanks.
Dude, same. I got extra Vanilla and couldn't finish a whole can, too much of a sweet mess.

If you lived in a taco relevant part of Texas, I would value your opinion. Alas ...you do not.

blogger-image-730151131.jpg
There's a documentary series on Netflix called Chef's Table, in one episode they go to a Michelin star restaurant in Mexico City, I think you'd like it a lot. The head chef talks about all the different components of what goes into an amazing taco, the textures, the flavors, things that are different temperatures. Also, the science of a great Mole' sauce, which I am just starting to really get into.

***Cilantro needs to be properly washed, otherwise it tastes like dirt***

I've tried a lot of the turbid milkshakey things and I have yet to find one that I like anywhere near as much as a fresh Two Hearted.
****ing relentless with that 2 fearted love fest ;)

I won't lie. I dig the concept. But in a "sit my ass on a lawnchair in the summer" crusher type way rather than the lineups and mules type of way. I'm sure the fad will get to that point eventually. I also hardly consider it beer. More a beermosa type cocktail catering to baby palates.

There's a documentary series on Netflix called Chef's Table, in one episode they go to a Michelin star restaurant in Mexico City, I think you'd like it a lot. The head chef talks about all the different components of what goes into an amazing taco, the textures, the flavors, things that are different temperatures. Also, the science of a great Mole' sauce, which I am just starting to really get into.

***Cilantro needs to be properly washed, otherwise it tastes like dirt***

Someone who respects tacos so much as you, I will take this advice and watch it.

Someone who respects tacos so much as you, I will take this advice and watch it.
The restaurant is called Pujol, and the chef is Enrique Olvera. Dude loves tequilas a lot, makes you want to eat tacos and drink tequila afterwards. My wife is really getting into ramen lately, and there's another episode in Chef's Table about a chef named Ivan Orkin, white dude who went to Japan and made a dent in the ramen scene (not easy to do), anyway I went to his new ramen shop in NYC for our anniversary and he had 3 Hill Farmstead beers on tap and a ton of sours, guy loves HF apparently.

The restaurant is called Pujol, and the chef is Enrique Olvera. Dude loves tequilas a lot, makes you want to eat tacos and drink tequila afterwards. My wife is really getting into ramen lately, and there's another episode in Chef's Table about a chef named Ivan Orkin, white dude who went to Japan and made a dent in the ramen scene (not easy to do), anyway I went to his new ramen shop in NYC for our anniversary and he had 3 Hill Farmstead beers on tap and a ton of sours, guy loves HF apparently.

Are you confusing this with the Mind of a Chef series?

I saw that ramen guy on a YouTube video. He acted like a ****ing tool

Back