US - South-Atlantic Asheville TBers?!

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by bmh_the_1legend, Sep 29, 2015.

1. bmh_the_1legend

bmh_the_1legend

So anyone here from Asheville? Don't see much discussion on these boards about this east coast beer Mecca so I thought I would throw one out there. I'm looking to set something up for some Burial brewing skillet donut stout that drops today but I didn't wanna post an ISO if no one here is from there. Perhaps you know someone who lives there or is dropping by this week? Maybe you want to help? Maybe? Let me know! Let's set something up!

2. caaam

caaam

I know kbs is there but not super active. When will you be there? I'll shoot him a text.

In general, Asheville folks only ever drink Asheville beer, ergo they are few and far between on this kinda site

bmh_the_1legend likes this.
  3. JulianB

JulianB

andyctree is the most active Asheville guy on the site.

bmh_the_1legend there's some possibility I might go up this weekend, in which case I'll shoot you a message on Farcebook or something.

bmh_the_1legend likes this.
  4. bmh_the_1legend

bmh_the_1legend

Julian, you sir are a good man. I appreciate that. Let me know! May the farce be with you!

JulianB likes this.
  5. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker

I'll piggyback on this like the lazy MF'er I am. I'm gonna be in the Asheville area from 10/11-10/14.

I come from the land of Sante Adairius Rustic Ales and if anyone is interested in an IP trade, let me know.

Don't really have a ISO list but I'd be looking for Creature Comforts, vintage Wicked Weed (we'll be going there during our trip obviously), Westbrook, etc.

6. Mug Costanza

Mug Costanza

Bunch of hipsters in Asheville. Who needs em.

2plums4one likes this.
  7. manaox2

manaox2

I go there semi-regularly. I know some of the locals who work in the industry there. Of course, we know each other too. Skillet donut dropped all over NC now.

8. Snarf

Snarf

[​IMG]

9. pythonhgr

pythonhgr

So I'm staying in Asheville in November (coming from NJ). Hoping to do a SN, WW and some other stops. Be getting in Thursday around 7-8, staying the night and hitting up some places for the afternoon. Where's a good hotel to stay for the night?

Wish I could stay around there longer but have a wedding in Beaufort, SC Friday night. Appreciate any help, thanks guys!

brother_kenneth likes this.
  10. brother_kenneth

brother_kenneth

If you're going to be alone, I highly recommend staying at Sweet Pea's Hostel. I've stayed there 20 times or so now. Always a great experience and very affordable. If you have the family with you, most would probably recommend Downtown Inn, despite its unbelievably scathing reviews. It's affordable and in close proximity to all the places you'll want to walk to. I've stayed there before and lived through it. You'll be fine.

Have fun in Asheville! Be sure to eat breakfast at Sunny Point or Tupelo and get the best ribs you'll ever eat at 12 Bones. Cheers!

pythonhgr and Snarf like this.
  11. Snarf

Snarf

Liked for Sunny Point. Sunny Point >>>>>> Tupelo Honey.

pythonhgr and brother_kenneth like this.
  12. brother_kenneth

brother_kenneth

Agreed. It just seems people are more often interested in Tupelo since its within walking distance of everything downtown. I personally prefer to make the drive to Sunny Point :)

pythonhgr and Snarf like this.
  13. pythonhgr

pythonhgr

Thanks, going with my wife. Looking at Tupelo or Early Girl so that helps, thanks!

Can't wait to read these reviews on this hotel haha

Any must-sees for breweries (and also any I can skip?) thanks for the help

2plums4one likes this.
  14. caaam

caaam

Should hit: wicked weed (all), burial

Could hit: Twin leaf, Sierra Nevada, possibly Oskar Blues, green man, thirsty monk (bar)

Could skip: whatever else you choose. Lots of beer in Asheville but that means lots of pretty fine quality beer. Places like Lexington Ave, hi wire, highland, plenty of others, make just "fine" beer, but it's not better than whatever wicked weed you hadn't tried yet. Just go back to wicked weed

Go to white duck taco, go to biscuit head. They're food and they're awesome. Curate is awesome if you're in the mood for fancy stuff.

If you're anywhere close, go to fonta flora. Probably my favorite nc brewery, and I doubt I'm the only one.

Visit tasty beverage (that parts a shameless plug; I work at the Raleigh shop. But kbs manages the show at Asheville and he'll make sure you're taken care of on your visit)

15. pythonhgr

pythonhgr

awesome help, thanks! I sell SN in NJ so I really want to swing in there. Wicked Weed and Burial are on the list as well. Thanks for the food ideas too.
    Fonta Flora is on my list but it matters when we're able to leave from NJ. Wednesday after work and I'm there. Thursday? it'll be tight. But I definitely want to go if it's possible. really excited for this trip

16. brother_kenneth

brother_kenneth

I agree with everything caaam said except I'd move Green Man to the must visit list. It's partly nostalgia for me, as I've been going there for a long time. But I am usually able to try at least one very good tap offering when I visit. It's just a fun place! Enjoy your visit to my favorite town in America.

pythonhgr likes this.
  17. caaam

caaam

I probably should've broken the middle into two lists - green man and sierra are above the others on that list

pythonhgr and brother_kenneth like this.
  18. wuntrikpony

wuntrikpony

Thanks for the info on this thread guys. Heading out to Asheville Tuesday and had planned to be out in the woods all day Tues/Weds, but not sure the weather will agree with that. Probably will just hit a couple breweries if anyone wants to touch tips.

brother_kenneth likes this.
  19. pythonhgr

pythonhgr

Sorry to keep posting, but I don't want to start a whole new thread.

Any places near Beaufort, SC to check out?? Free all Saturday afternoon before a wedding. Any ideas welcomed, thanks!

20. RayP

RayP

Anyone ever do any skiing in the Asheville area? Looking into a New Years Eve/Wicked Weed/skiing trip. If I remember correctly, I've been told there are some places to go skiing within 30-45 minutes from Asheville.