AMA Augie from Carton Brewing

Discussion in 'TalkBeer AMA' started by drgarage, May 6, 2014.

1. drgarage

drgarage

Hey, augiecarton, come on down! You're the next contestant on TalkBeer AMA!

2. augiecarton

augiecarton

hello everyone, what would you like to know?

3. drgarage

drgarage

How did you get started in brewing?

4. Auror

Auror

How'd you get introduced to cream ales?

5. augiecarton

augiecarton

I gave Jesse a home brew kit as a thank you gift for being helpful at my wedding. He started brewing, we started playing around with beer. Then Boat, then CBC. In a nutshell.

schmidlove, gregkoko and drgarage like this.
  6. augiecarton

augiecarton

My name's Carton milk is never far from my mind.

7. ForkAndSpoonOperator

ForkAndSpoonOperator

My brother has been looking into opening a small-scale brewery down in Gloucester County. He swears up and down that he's "contemplated every eventuality", but do you have any words of advice for a brewer looking to get started, both generally and specifically in NJ?

Der Fuchs likes this.
  8. mattafett

mattafett

Do you have a tattoo of a milk bottle??

I do.

schmidlove, CharlieMurphy and ufmj like this.
  9. Os

Os

when are we going to throw some back, Augie!?!?

gregkoko likes this.
  10. augiecarton

augiecarton

I'd have to know the scopeoif his plan and means. Since we opened the laws have changed in NJ. At this point I see it as feasible to follow a Lawson's /Barrier/Cape May model of bitng off what you can chew, making great beers (very important)
    my tattoo is of the old Hannah Barbera cartoon Augie Doggie, my last name is Carton, but my first name is Augie after all.

11. augiecarton

augiecarton

You act like I've ever said "no"

12. Os

Os

touche'!

on another note... what's the canning schedule like these days? Boat cans are in high demand!

gregkoko likes this.
  13. augiecarton

augiecarton

I was typing something on my phone that got posted before I was finished and I can't seem to edit it. So start there and finish with:
    the old joke is "the best way to make a small fortune brewing beer is to start with a large one" I say that because it's no way to get rich. That being said it's a ton of fun. These days at a small tasting room scale, taking advantage of the new laws, I think you can string together a tight few years of building a reputation without going broke. Once you have a good reputation the rest should get more obvious. Who doesn't want to be Lawson's/Barrier/Cape May?

14. augiecarton

augiecarton

We can what can when we can can. We are working on it. I'd love everyone that wants a boat to have one whenever they want it, it's the only way the beer really works. But, three years ago a bunch of bars committed to the crazy idea of a super hoppy session beer, back then people were still buying buzz more than flavor, we can't let them down now because cans are in demand. Baby steps, baby steps.

15. gregkoko

gregkoko

Send them to NYC Augie. It's cool I'll personally by out whatever stores get them

ufmj, jbuddle and augiecarton like this.
  16. Os

Os

you heard the man.. not enough yet. You can't just move to NY and take all the boat w/ you

17. gregkoko

gregkoko

[​IMG]

18. lazerviking

lazerviking

Augie, your beers are currently available in New Jersey, New York, and Philly. Do you have plans to increase your distribution footprint in the near term, or are you focused on providing more beer to your existing markets? What is your growth (or lack-of-growth) strategy?

Carton, Kane and few others seem to be at the beginning of a new stage of brewing in New Jersey. How do you see the NJ beer scene changing or growing over the course of the next few years?

19. augiecarton

augiecarton

i will answer your second question first with this little video I Drink Good Beer just did for The garden State Brew Fest

Do you have plans to increase your distribution footprint in the near term, or are you focused on providing more beer to your existing markets? What is your growth (or lack-of-growth) strategy?

We won't contract so what we make is what we make. Early in our first year we added the 4 45bbl tanks that put our space at capacity and have been running at that capacity since. We are working on a way to grow and keep doing things the way we like to do them which really isn't a process that can be rushed, but we are working on it.
    In the mean time on a grand scale we view NJ, Philly, and NYC as our community, I often joke that every one knows Philly and Manhattan are two very important suburbs of Red Bank. We set up two very limited distro arrangements with 2 great small distributors, American in BK and Bella Vista in Philly and we give them small amounts of beer so that we are getting feed back from all of our neighbors, even those not necessarily predisposed to NJ as residents.
    Other than that our focus is on our home, NJ top to bottom. We chose the places that Boat Cans are available hoping to get it spread around the state as smoothly as possibly, so places should be about half an hour from each other, hopefully not much more than 20 minutes from any NJ resident. As we can do more we will fill in the holes that exist.
    Right now there are something like 7,000 liquor licenses in NJ and we are at about 2000 barrels. 2000 barrels is 4000 half kegs, so if we put all our beer for a year out on one Friday about half of NJ's bars would have our beer for about one weekend. we have plenty to do in our own back yard for quite some time.

20. jakeox

jakeox

I noticed that you referenced Cape May twice in this thread. I visited their taproom last week for the first time and was pretty impressed, especially by their IPAs and their new Berliner Weiss. Yet they don't get a lot of buzz here and on other beer nerd forums. Are they well regarded in NJ? I know their distro doesn't get very far yet.

Os likes this.