US - Southwest Austin this weekend - recomendations?

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by GMRfx, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Lutter

Lutter

Also if you want to visit CP/Banger's and get a bite... there's a moderately-sized food court at Rainey Street with a lot of choices (until they decide to build another damn condo on that lot, which I think is happening later this year).

There's a duck and cherry sausage at Banger's that I really dig. Like the poutine and boiled peanuts if just drinking.

steimie likes this.
  2. BathtubJenn

BathtubJenn

I've been to Austin countless times, but will be back in town in two weeks. Planning to hit up Jester King and Craft Pride. About what time on a Friday does Rainey get super crowded? Thinking of just going straight there at about 5pm after I land.

Usually end up at Black Star at some point during most trips. Anywhere else new that I should try? Always looking for places with dark beers on tap. Not an IPA drinker by any means.

3. Lutter

Lutter

I'd say around 8-9pm (after people have finished their dinner and made their way over) is when Rainey gets crowded.

4. BathtubJenn

BathtubJenn

Nice. I will head there about 5pm and get some beers before it gets too crazy. I'll be there for F1 so I'm sure everything will be extra packed. I usually don't fly in so early so I get there late in the evening, drive through and go "nope". Decided to take the day off and fly first thing in the morning this time. Coming from the west coast is a bit of a pain.

5. degardebrewing

degardebrewing

Hey guys, just read through this thread!
    Got me thinking about good BBQ, Austin beer, and the area in general.

I hate you?
    Thanks?

Someone buy me a home there.

6. xpimptastikx

xpimptastikx

I've got a spare bedroom you can stay in while you find a house and brewery space down here. ;)

7. kmello69

kmello69

I feel like I offered to let you live at my house once before. If not, the invitation is always out there.

blue_bleeder, sliverx, Alex and 3 others like this.
  8. blatherbeard

blatherbeard

dont let ken fool you...

i have a 4 year vert of la muerta but when the 5 year hits its party time...

although you WILL ahve to travel to bastrop so fi you wotn fuck you

9. blatherbeard

blatherbeard

10. BathtubJenn

BathtubJenn

Unfortunately, the weather for this weekend is looking questionable. What are the best places to drink inside? I feel like I always end up on a patio or picnic table in the dirt when I'm in Austin, no idea what I'm going to do without being outside. Activities of some sort would be good too. Any places with bowling or pool tables or something and actual good beer?

11. blatherbeard

blatherbeard

Rainey would still be a good choice imo since all the bars have insides(some albiet are small) and outside sitting isnt a "have to" but if packed, any of the good beer bars will be packed inside and most of them have small insides.

Other places i can think of with inside sitting--
    ABGB is has a pretty sizeable inside but the one time i went it was SUPER packed, although that was 1 week removed from opening night.

draughthouse--small inside, always crowded but the tables outside also have ubrellas for a bit of protection.

pinthouse pizza--decent inside seating, usually crowded and loud, but worth it if you havent been.

Uncle Billys brew and que--bbq has always been a bit average(or less depending who you talk to) and the main brewers left to start ABGB AND i havent been back since they did but its another place with covered outside seats and decent inside seating.

BathtubJenn likes this.
  12. BathtubJenn

BathtubJenn

Thanks. I will look those up. There is a concert stage being setup on Rainey, so who knows what it's going to be like down there. I was looking forward to going there Friday early evening, but it may be either packed or flooded.

13. Ray

Ray

Hit up Alex he should have some good beers to share Friday.

Alex and BusinessSloth like this.
  14. Alex

Alex

Good beers were delivered on Friday and consumed on Saturday. :)

15. blatherbeard

blatherbeard

LA MUERTA FOR LIFE!!!

or at least this saturday....again..for my sixth year.

Alex likes this.
  16. gatorbeer

gatorbeer

Bringing this thread back from nowhere. What's the deal with visiting breweries like Live Oak or (512) re: Texas laws? From what I can find online, they don't have traditional tap rooms so I can't go to the brewery to get a pour or flight, right? Just double checking in case I missed something.

17. Alex

Alex

gatorbeer likes this.
  18. Lutter

Lutter

So there's nothing stopping (512) from having a tap room.... they honestly just don't have the SPACE to have one. The same was true with Live Oak until they moved to their new brewery (opening later this month).

Off-site sales are still not allowed unless you hold a brewpub license and brew less than 10k barrels per year (20k with 2 locations). Jester King does off-site sales this way.

gatorbeer likes this.
  19. likesbeer

likesbeer

Nice thread. I'll be in Austin labor day weekend so now I have some good ideas of where to go. We're just starting to look for a place to stay though and probably going with an AirBnB. Any recs on areas that would be good for a group of 7 or 8 friends? A few of us are into beer but most of the group probably just wants to be in an area that has plenty of interesting things to see/do/eat/drink within reasonable walking distance. We're all late 20s to early 30s so not looking for any crazy ragers or college bars. Also, any areas we should avoid?

I'm planning on doing a preorder for Franklin to avoid the line and probably renting a car to hit up JK that Friday. Otherwise, we're all just looking for an enjoyable long weekend filled with meat, tacos, and booze.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  20. air

air

I'd look at east side (as well as hitting the bars etc in east 6th) or somewhere on Lamar/South Congress. Rainey is ok, but I wouldn't go there at peak Friday/Saturday evening hours, and of course avoid dirty 6th.

Heretic and likesbeer like this.