Backyard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brubaker1

Triple Double Diamond Platinum Club Member
Reaction score
How's Backyard drinking these days? Haven't had it since fresh. Bramble was goddamn perfection to me (though I never had it fresh, only had it with 1-2 years on it). I thought Backyard was really good, but no Bramble.

Whenever I get good and drunk, I go out to mybeercellar and end up a click away from buying a Bramble. Only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is the hopes that my Backyards will bloom into something special.

If you want it to bloom, pour it over a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.

Srslytho, that fruit isn't going anywhere for a long time and I assume it will stay this way for a few more.

I had it on tap Wednesday night and it was incredible. I thought it was a bit too fruit-forward when I opened it fresh and now it's really really nice and smooth and not in-your-face jammy.

Having had it fresh then again about a month ago, I thought the fruit had faded some and actually preferred the fresher version. I thought the balance was just about perfect fresh with Backyard, as opposed to Cherry Rye, which I thought was too sweet and syrupy, like cough syrup.

Never got to try Bramble, sadly. It's my only non-ticked variant so far.

I'm not crazy about fruit in stouts, but I had backyard last night and liked it much more than I did fresh last Fall. Was pretty great actually. The fruit has definitely faded a bit and is not so 'jammy' but still there and compliments the base really well. In general I prefer adjuncts to be subtle though, not hit you over the head like Cherry Rye, Bramble, and Backyard did fresh. Cherry Rye is still way too much even after a couple years now IMO.

This was on tap btw so I can't speak for bottles. Will open one when the variants come out this year and report back.

I don't understand the knocks on Cherry Rye...have you ever had a fresh cherry? It's pretty damned tart and sour...comes through perfectly in the beer. The problem is? If you want an artificial tasting cherry beer, have IBB Natale. The cherries are barely there and they don't even taste real. Ok, I feel better.

As for Backyard and Bramble...I see what people are charging for Bramble and I just laugh. Bramble tastes like cough syrup, for real. Even with years on it, it's waaaay to fruit forward and lacking the malt and roast to balance that out. Backyard is a masterpiece and it tastes more like Bourbon County with perfectly integrated berries...like they got it right this time.

I feel like you eat cherries from the industrial sized tubs...like you'd put in a Shirley Temple.
I have had those, and they go great in Shirley Temples!

But what I really mean is that if you have only experienced "damned tart and sour" cherries, you've missed out on multiple varieties of cherries that are really great and are in fact not tart or sour at all.

Sorry if I touched your balls.

We did a variant tasting of BCBS earlier this year. For the fruited ones: Bramble > Backyard >> Cherry Rye.

I had Backyard last week. Still very jammy and sweet, which could be your thing. Tastes just about the same as fresh.
I'm still curious if age will make it more "refined" and less jammy like Bramble.

I don't understand the knocks on Cherry Rye...have you ever had a fresh cherry? It's pretty damned tart and sour...comes through perfectly in the beer. The problem is? If you want an artificial tasting cherry beer, have IBB Natale. The cherries are barely there and they don't even taste real. Ok, I feel better.

As for Backyard and Bramble...I see what people are charging for Bramble and I just laugh. Bramble tastes like cough syrup, for real. Even with years on it, it's waaaay to fruit forward and lacking the malt and roast to balance that out. Backyard is a masterpiece and it tastes more like Bourbon County with perfectly integrated berries...like they got it right this time.
I totally disagree with you on Bramble. Off topic are you the guy on BA who makes like 15 almost identicle trade threads at a time all the time?

Had a backyard about a month ago and I thought it was wayyy better than fresh. Subtle Berries and beautiful Bourbon county flavor to back it up. I actually considered trading for more because it was great.

You've obviously got a hard-on for me and are looking to rake me over the coals...nice research bro. You obviously pay a lot of attention to me...flattering.

I was trying to get a trade done and landed a few Proprietor's, so keep hatin...
You're a perpetual low-baller. Every week you added an extra beer to your BA trades and everyone saw through your BS act. Best of luck on TB. ******** is rarely tolerated.

You're a perpetual low-baller. Every week you added an extra beer to your BA trades and everyone saw through your BS act. Best of luck on TB. ******** is rarely tolerated.

As if you know me...but that's cool.

This is the only place you can talk tough in real life...******** at its finest. Listen to your holier than thou spiel...implying as if you voluntarily give up the farm on all trades that you participate in, if any at all.

At least you've finally found a place where you can just hurl unfounded generalizations at people you don't know, with no repercussions. You have to feel like a man somehow.

Glad I could help you feel like less of an angry loser today.

Last edited:
As if you know me...but that's cool.

This is the only place you can talk tough in real life...******** at its finest. Listen to your holier than thou spiel...implying as if you voluntarily give up the farm on all trades that you participate in, if any at all.

At least you've finally found a place where you can just hurl unfounded generalizations at people you don't know, with no repercussions. You have to feel like a man somehow.

Glad I could help you feel like less of an angry loser today.

Micro-peen much? You obviously don't know Beerontwowheels or his rep, or you'd know what a great part of this community he is and how ridiculous your post is.

Maybe brush up on your Sun Tzu and one day you can ball like joromiller.

As entertaining as this is, we're arguing with a ******* with a shroom fixation, CapitaLized random letters in his name, and deliberately misspelled psilocybin (because that username was obviously already taken). What sort of chucklehead do you think he is?

Probably the best point made in this thread.

Backyard is drinking better than bramble. Hate on that.
I'd disagree based on having tried them side-by-side with weekend (along with Cherry Rye), but you know what they say:

Opinions are like ******** - the only ones I'm interested in are mine and a hot chick's.

JulianB .....go on. This is exactly the comparison I was hoping for when I started this thread. Care to expand on your thoughts?

JulianB .....go on. This is exactly the comparison I was hoping for when I started this thread. Care to expand on your thoughts?

Too much consumed that day for me to recall many of the subtleties beyond the overall impression that I remember. I want to say that Bramble had more of a deep mellow berry flavor whereas Backyard had more booze/barrel but I could be misremembering things. These were consumed around 3pm and we stopped drinking at about 130am.

Too much consumed that day for me to recall many of the subtleties beyond the overall impression that I remember. I want to say that Bramble had more of a deep mellow berry flavor whereas Backyard had more booze/barrel but I could be misremembering things. These were consumed around 3pm and we stopped drinking at about 130am.
I agree with the assessment as well, I just prefer the backyard. Also, backyard is drinking better now than ever and bramble imo was a bit better a year+ ago

Call me crazy, but I thought Cherry Rye was one of the best beers I've ever had.
But I'm a sucker for rye barrel aging. And cherries.

I had a backyard rye a few weeks ago and thought it was great. Nice and fudgey with well integrated berries, nice heat and a nice barrel presence on the nose.

I had Bramble last night and that beer is heavenly right now. Absolutely stunning.

Caved and drank a backyard while cursing at the Christmas lights. Really damn good, but not quite as perfect as bramble. Bramble is my jam.

And.... Now backyard is asking $80 online. ****. You.

Local shop is selling a bottle for $50 and offered to hold it for me.... worth it?
I guess it depends on how much $50 is to you and how bad you want to try Backyard. That's not a terrible price - especially since its not some asshat reselling it online. If you won't miss that $50, go for it. Personally, I would rather buy a bunch of other beers with that $50, but I've already had backyard a bunch.

I guess it depends on how much $50 is to you and how bad you want to try Backyard. That's not a terrible price - especially since its not some asshat reselling it online. If you won't miss that $50, go for it. Personally, I would rather buy a bunch of other beers with that $50, but I've already had backyard a bunch.
I had it a few times within the first 3 months it came out and thought it was fantastic. Just curious if it's worth that price now. Thanks!

Call me crazy, but I thought Cherry Rye was one of the best beers I've ever had.
But I'm a sucker for rye barrel aging. And cherries.

The Cherry Rye I had last Spring tasted like a cherry pie with cinnamon. It was freaking amazing and I didn't like Cherry Rye out of the gate either.

Cherry Rye is better than Backyard, and Bramble tastes like berries mixed with Lisa Lampinelli's nunu. *Waves*

Had a Backyard 2 weeks ago. ****ing amazing. Immediately traded for another one. The fruit and barrel character are so well integrated with the beer right now. Straight up boozy melted Russell Stover chocolate berry truffles.

Had a Backyard last night and it was exactly how you described it. Tasting very balanced right now.

Back