Bad LIF experience with KBHESS

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Help' started by coldstorage, Apr 20, 2017 at 3:31 PM.

1. coldstorage

coldstorage

Heavy hearted up in Santa Rosa this afternoon. Pretty bummed to have to post this but here goes...

Last July there was a shit-trade turned manic giveaway thread called ISO:A&G FT: Ratio Over the course of two months we had daily giveaway and over 80 boxes were committed to in the end. At a certain point I became the unofficial host of this LIF cesspool in so far as that I was tracking who had promised things and who had received them. This was mostly borne out of me wanting to do a giveaway based on how many giveaways had happened, but then I realized the thing had enough gravity to deserve some level of tracking so I stuck with it. I was mostly surprised at the enthusiasm with which people met their obligations. No one seemed to need any reminding and many amazing boxes were promptly sent. Sadly. now 9 months later everyone has fulfilled their promises except kbhess who had the following:

1) He was part of a team effort which mzdoja won, and nothing was shipped.

2) He also ran a seperate one that both GuisseppeFranco and abawol01 both answered at the same time. He offered to send boxes to both, but privately abawol01 declined his box and just requested that kbhess send an even better box to GuisseppeFranco but as of now nothing has been shipped.

Technically, this was not a strictly run thing and as such there were no shipping deadlines. Still, I think most would agree that 9 months is a reasonable amount of time to start calling shenanigans. Furthermore, the following has transpired in private before opening this public complaint.

- kbhess has promised directly to both in PM months ago that he will be shipping "soon".
    - kbhess told GuisseppeFranco back in January of this year he would be in NY in March and would like to do an IP thing, but then did not follow through with this.
    - I contacted kbhess on March 21st telling him I needed stuff shipped by April 3rd or I would have to start a thread. On April 3rd, I heard back and we negotiated an extended deadline of Monday the 10th.
    - I wrote on monday the 10th asking if he would be able to fulfill the promise and the message is still unread, but kbhess was last seen online yesterday.

Something that adds to my frustration is that kbhess won 5 separate giveaways in that thread and received all of them, including one from sunnrider which involved him shipping internationally. Knowing that, even after shipping these two boxes out, he still did quite well for himself... but then did not ship his two boxes.... that bums me out.

Another thing that frustrates me is that kbhess has continued to use ISO:FT here and presumably closing and shipping trades in the time these have been opened.

So... that's where things are at here. I know that kbhess is a longstanding member of this forum and of his local beer community. I do not think he is a bad guy. I really loathe the pitchfork tar and feather shit that happens on the other board when things go sideways. But some level of response is appropriate here...

Sadly mzdoja is now much less active on TB and confirmed my suspicion that part of that owes to the bad feelings about the way this transpired and the lack of accountability involved. That sucks.

GuisseppeFranco is a notorious sweetheart and aesthetic contributor to TB. We enjoy his contributions everytime we "proper glassware". He deserves to be made whole.

So, i'm not sure where to go from here. I think most people would be less excited to receive a box at gunpoint... so we may be past the point of specific performance... but I hope not! I'd love to see kbhess just get a few boxes in the air sometime in the next week so we can water under the bridge this motherfucker... but I guess if nothing gets sent by next Friday (4/29) im going to start putting together a few consolation boxes myself and just put this behind us.

2. tosh

tosh

Good post coldstorage and much appreciation for tracking all that boxes.

Follow up on your obligations people.

BigFrank, tbub18, gregkoko and 25 others like this.
  3. GuisseppeFranco

GuisseppeFranco

Sorry to see it come to this because I know many ppl here will vouch for him, as did I for as long as this has gone on. I know shit gets busy sometimes so I'm not out to get the guy, but we all know communication goes a long way, which in this case there's been almost none. I think I even had to reach out to him after the first few months went by.

tbub18, BravoDawg, Treebs and 14 others like this.
  4. GuisseppeFranco

GuisseppeFranco

I linked this thread in the original giveaway thread since there were a lot of ppl involved in that and this forum doesn't get much action.

5. clevelandisthecity

clevelandisthecity

It's so easy to get caught up in this site with the giveaways and bifs and stuff and the overall generosity. Personally I've been really amazed by this site since I've become more and more active. I know I've had times where I'm a little back logged on boxes. I keep up with communication and make sure everyone knows where things stand. You're right GuisseppeFranco , a little communication goes a long way. Hopefully this can get resolved and things can get worked out.

Treebs, jammery, Ryan_G and 8 others like this.
  6. coldstorage

coldstorage

Thanks, was going to cross post it there as well.
    Hope we can get this resolved now.

7. coldstorage

coldstorage

Got that Photekut like!
    Loving the new avatar pal!!
    I guess someone had to do it.

8. skrip

skrip

hmm thats really not like Bobby! but i know hes been crazy busy at work lately. i will text him again for you right now.

Ryan_G, abawol01, tosh and 6 others like this.
  9. skrip

skrip

He said work has been absolutely crazy but he finally has a free day saturday so he will pack then and have them out monday.

BravoDawg, jammery, abawol01 and 5 others like this.
  10. lambandtunaphish

lambandtunaphish

[​IMG]

11. nsh221

nsh221

coldstorage for president.

or some other office that would be more fun.

12. coldstorage

coldstorage

Thanks for your help!

[​IMG]

nanobrew, Treebs, Stubs and 10 others like this.
  13. skrip

skrip

just to be clear by lately i mean almost a year haha

14. skrip

skrip

no problem man!

Ryan_G, raginasian238, tosh and 4 others like this.
  15. coldstorage

coldstorage

Looks like I had a typo in my spreadsheet that made the search function fail me. Besides the two boxes still not shipped, kbhess did have two other giveaways that were shipped and received. I did not mean to misrepresent the balance, or to not give credit for his generosity.

Had lots of help in this thread, in my pms and even by text message this AM after posting.
    I have faith this will be resolved.
    Thanks all.

kuemmelbrau, Treebs, NAD1983 and 15 others like this.
  16. jtclockwork

jtclockwork

Did KBhess not kill this? Because I would be shocked if he didn't.

Photekut and tosh like this.
  17. TNGabe

TNGabe

Reading comprehension isn't your forte, is it?

18. TommyShitt

TommyShitt

It would probably be titled "THANK U KBHESS FOR YOUR UNPARALLED GENEROSITY AND OPEN COMMUNICATION" if he had. Are you really this dense?

CharlieMurphy, tosh and Photekut like this.
  19. mzdoja

mzdoja

I just wanted to say I've been inactive here mostly because I've been pretty busy, haven't been going to releases, trading, drinking beer, or even just lurking on the site. I will admit, I've been hopeful this would resolve itself, but it's free beer, so I'm not trying to press the issue. Other people had said to me that they would send me a thank you box, or a runner up box to a LIF, and that never happened, but like I said: free beer is free and I don't feel I'm entitled to it. Everyone's busy, I understand, and I'm the most forgetful person I know... I kind of just figured that's how things go here sometimes. But in saying that, I'll also say that it does make me less excited to participate on the site. No salt here; most of the people I've interacted with from the site are awesome people and I'm thankful for that.

Shout out to coldstorage , he took it upon himself to be the host of that shit show LIF, and has really been committed for almost a year to seeing it through. Thinking I'll just send him something for his dedication to making things right when, in fact, he didn't need to do anything at all. Thank you though, I do appreciate it.

20. jtclockwork

jtclockwork

Not after 30 beers last night, no.