Bass King's and Prince's Ale

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Help' started by jmgrub, Mar 10, 2014.

1. jmgrub

jmgrub

Thanks for looking. Just wondering what it takes to score these and don't have much to go on. A couple hundred bucks and a bit of luck? A few limited release beers? A willing mouth and/or a gentle, capable hand? Enlighten me.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  2. BusinessSloth

BusinessSloth

It involves a little bit of this.

[​IMG]

3. jmgrub

jmgrub

4. Knifestyles

Knifestyles

Tough call.

These could be had easily via eBay just a few years back. I got my King's for ~$120. While the bottle was pristine, the contents weren't terribly incredible. Though, it was certainly interesting if just for "research" purposes.

Scored a Prince's for considerably cheaper (~$20, iirc) and the bottle itself was in abysmal shape. Funny thing is, the Prince's was markedly more enjoyable than the King's. Dare I even say drinkable? These were both enjoyed in the same evening so as to make a fair comparison.

It would be a pretty special/unique situation to pull one of these from someone's cellar as they're now well beyond being just a "vintage beer". I'd go as far as to call it an antique/relic at this point.....which obviously places a very different kind of value on it. One of the very few beers where even just the empty bottle may actually hold a legitimate value.

gn0sis, beerindex and jmgrub like this.
  5. 1v1willwreku

1v1willwreku

6. jmgrub

jmgrub

Appreciate it. I've seen that a few have popped on the eBay void-fillers from time to time, but I've never been quick enough on the seller. Do you get the sense that there are still a bunch floating around the UK?

7. Knifestyles

Knifestyles

I'd imagine so. There was seemingly a glut of these right before the eBay crackdown, so the market narrowed quickly after that.

I noticed this sale on MBC just under a year ago:

http://mybeercellar.com/?itm=4032

Not a terrible price considering the kind of action that's seen on that site....bottle itself looks pretty decent too.

"Cellar kept since purchase" is an alarmingly nebulous claim, however.

Lutter, buzzword and jmgrub like this.
  8. jmgrub

jmgrub

UPDATE: just a few minutes ago, after a fair amount of time spent trolling ebay UK, I finally purchased a 1902 King's Ale. $170 shipped. We will just call it my graduation gift to myself. Not expecting anything amazing from the beer itself, but I'm extremely excited for the experience.

KevSal, mateoloco, JulianB and 3 others like this.
  9. justforrazors

justforrazors

10. CypherEnigma

CypherEnigma

Thanks justforrazors for the tag.

I've traded for the entire set 1902 through 1982. Essentially it was a trade of a smattering of HFS stuff and other limited releases from the US. The bulk of trade was for the 1902 and the 1929 which ended up somewhere around 18-24 bottles after extras.

As far as which ones are worth drinking, highly debatable and extremely dependent on storage conditions. I've had the 1902 three times and the rest of the set once(29, 77, 78, 82). The first time I had the 1902 is probably one of the best tasting corkers I've had. The one thing I should note about this tasting is that it was a 1902 Magnum and Pint blended to taste which smoothed out any really off putting flavors. The second bottle of the King's I had was just a single pint and it was the worst of the three tastes I've had, it was slightly acidic and rank. The third bottle I had was the only bottle of the King's that I owned and it was pretty enjoyable for me but still left me chasing my first experience.

I had the opposite experience of Knifestyles with the earlier Prince's ale, my bottle had a crummy cork that leaked in transit so I opened it within a few days of receiving it. Interesting flavors but nothing you'd want more than an oz of. My second bottle of the 1929 looks to be in much better condition than my first but I'm not planning on opening it anytime soon otherwise I'd report back.

The more drinkable ones I've had have been the 77 and 82. The 82 was much less oxidized and was very sweet tasting relative to the others I've had. The 77 had taken on some nice qualities from oxidation. The 78 had some cork issues that are noted in the the link below and it defiantly shows and was not as drinkable as the 77.

Another thing to note was that I told my trader that my highest priority was label condition so I didn't get the absolute best condition corks. Don't fear the lead sealed 1902's. There is a layer of wax between the lead and the cork and they're pretty easy to open.

Here is a good site with a lot of information but I can't speak to the validity of the prices.

mateoloco, tikk, Bill and 4 others like this.
  11. jmgrub

jmgrub

Wow, thanks so much for all the info CypherEnigma. I hope to one day have the opportunity to taste the whole set (and if I win the lottery, Allsopp's Arctic Ale).

To be honest, I view these more as a historical relic that is exciting to experience as opposed to wonderful to taste. Obviously I'm hopeful that the King's Ale has held up somewhat, but I'm not counting on it and won't be disappointed, even if it's horrific.

The label on the one I bought was pretty banged up, but the lead/wax/cork seems to be in almost pristine condition. In any event, I hope to open this at an upcoming "wael tasting" and will provide an additional update at that point. Thanks again Knifestyles and CypherEnigma for sharing your knowledge/experiences.

CypherEnigma likes this.
  12. CypherEnigma

CypherEnigma

Here is what the lead seal on my 1902 King's looked like, check out the embossed text :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's the label, pretty banged up as well.
    [​IMG]

13. Compton25

Compton25

Our slot for a terrible Brit is currently filled. tosh please advise.

14. tosh

tosh

Hurtful

15. tikk

tikk

I love that all of the posts were nuked except Compton25's shot at tosh.
    [​IMG]

16. Os

Os Moderator / Master of Social Media Staff Member

any posts that were his offer to sell and or quoted one of his posts referring to said attempt to sell were deleted... as they circumvented our beer trading rules.... nothing to do with a gobshite quota...

lymi tosh

17. ggfunk

ggfunk

I've seen this get done.

jtmartino, KevSal, jmgrub and 4 others like this.