Beatification aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeadytheElder

Reaction score
I'm specifically wondering if anyone has had batch 5 recently and where they think it is on the aging curve.

But any discussion of Beatification in general would be helpful. I've only had it once (batch 6, fairly fresh) and loved it.

Typically they get funkier and more sharply acidic over time. The funkiness helps, but they definitely have a sharp lemon juice quality to them (which a lot of people love).

Typically they get funkier and more sharply acidic over time. The funkiness helps, but they definitely have a sharp lemon juice quality to them (which a lot of people love).
I mostly agree with this. The B5 I had somewhat recently was all lemon and no funk. A lot different from the older batches, and pretty disappointing to me. I think B6 will end up in the same place. So OP, unless you really love bright citrus/lemon flavors, I'd prepare for disappointment.

I mostly agree with this. The B5 I had somewhat recently was all lemon and no funk. A lot different from the older batches, and pretty disappointing to me. I think B6 will end up in the same place. So OP, unless you really love bright citrus/lemon flavors, I'd prepare for disappointment.

Good to know - I've not had B5 in a while. I have a couple left so maybe a side-by-side is in order this week...

How are 1 and ph1 holding up?
Eh...

ph1 was better than B1, which was waaaaay better than B2. B2 is an acidic atrocity.

Those three didn't come close to the rest of the vertical. 5 seems to be getting real sour lately. As much as I didn't want it to be true, goddammit if B4 wasn't the best if the lot.

Oh and this for the lazy peeps:

Although both barrels that aged Beatification were used La Folie barrels from our good friends at New Belgium Brewing Company in Fort Collins , CO , this barrel, PH1 was the absolute best according to Lauren Salazar , QA & Sensory Analysist. More acetobacter than batch 001, also more tart and sour than 001.

I like Beat OK but it's a bit overrated. I prefer other American gueuze style ales and RR's other wild ales.

Nice, I keep meaning to try it but I've "saved it for a vertical" that hasn't happened. I suspect I'm going to get drunk and pop it regretfully in a blackout state.

Tonight
You're supposed to open it with me! That's the only one I haven't ticked. Yeah, somehow managed pH1 but not 4.

How are 1 and ph1 holding up?

I guess we are all having different experiences. I opened a bottle of PH1 about 9 months ago and it was not very enjoyable at all. I had that bottle in my possession for at least 4 years, so I am assuming improper storage wasn't the issue. Two of us finished the bottle, but neither of us particularly enjoyed it.

I am in the camp of saying that some of the better AWA have about 3 years, then its downhill from there.

Eh...

ph1 was better than B1, which was waaaaay better than B2. B2 is an acidic atrocity.

Those three didn't come close to the rest of the vertical. 5 seems to be getting real sour lately. As much as I didn't want it to be true, goddammit if B4 wasn't the best if the lot.

Never had B1, but B2 destroyed PH1 in my opinion.

Our bottle of B2 was undrinkably sour. Harsher than Mother Funker. It is not strange at this age for extreme bottle variation in an AWA.
Mine had a very pleasant lacticity, nothing too harsh for someone who enjoys sours. I also enjoyed Mother Funker, so maybe I'm a penny a dozen.

THE LACTICITY OF MY CITTTTYYYY OF MY CITTTTTTYYYYY

Mine had a very pleasant lacticity, nothing too harsh for someone who enjoys sours. I also enjoyed Mother Funker, so maybe I'm a penny a dozen.

THE LACTICITY OF MY CITTTTYYYY OF MY CITTTTTTYYYYY

1E9.gif

Motherfunker hurt my face. It made it contort.

So we did this last night.

beat_zpsxyctw66a.jpg

The results surprised me, as i expected a few of these to be past their prime.

Batches 5 and 6: I know it's not a commonly shared opinion, but I thought 5 was better than 6. I think 5 is really coming around. That said, neither of these were anyone's favorites. Interestingly, 6 is a lot lighter than any of the previous batches. In fact, color on all of these pretty much went dark to light as you went old to new.

Batch 4: This was an impressive barrel! Tart, funky, well balanced. I see why Vinnie chose to bottle this one on it's own. Not my favorite, but close. This was tops on other people's list at the tasting.

Batch 3: For me, this was easily best. I have no idea where the fruity flavor came from, but there was a fou foune apricot taste thing going on. The fruitness, sour characteristics, and bitterness were absolutely perfect.

Batch 2: Given it's reputation, I expected it to be over-the-top sour. It wasn't. It was the most sour of the line-up, but it wasn't offensive by any stretch of the imagination. If i had a criticism of it, i'd say it was a bit simple and one-dimensional.

Batch 1: This was the surprise of the tasting for me. Gueuze-like, but in more of a boon non-sour kind of way. Grassy, bitter, earthy, complex. It was really good. However, it was missing a necessary lactic sour to help round it out. This, blended with batch 2 (or any of the later batches), was easily the most complex, gueuze-like, beer of the tasting.

Batch PH1: Batch 1 + sour from the la folie barrel. Better than straight batch 1 because it had the sour characteristics that were so necessary. It was really good on it's own. I don't think it was better than some of the Batch 1 + blends that we did, but on it's own, it had all the right things going on.

Blends: So, this was the most fun part for me. All of these batches had various characteristics that made them good. We all had fun blending these in different ways to bring together these various characteristics. The subtle changes made some amazing combinations. We also opened a bottle of Horal Megablend 2013 and blended it with some of the beatification batches as well.

One last note. I have heard plenty of complaints about these beers being oxidized, over the hill, a shell of their former self. I'll disagree with the oxidized comments, at least regarding our bottles. I've also heard the corks used in the grenade bottles haven't held up. I have been cellaring these in my temp controlled cellar for years now. I never once thought to use the word oxidized when tasting them. It just wasn't there. As far as "over the hill" goes...nope..not these bottles. I have been a huge beatification fan boy for many years and I enjoyed them again last night. It's difficult to compare a beer to the memory of a beer, so i'm going to stick with my present opinion and say that they were really good across the board and still holding up quite well.

And, besides...we had a cicebrone at the tasting, so take my words here as gospel.

Have not had batch 4, 001 or ph1, but have 001 and ph1 in the cellar to try soon.

Batch 3 has been my favorite by far. Had one last night and it was still incredible. Had a batch 5 on New Year's Eve and Thought it was tasting great and I liked it more than the last bottle of batch 6 that I had. I had a similar experience as others in that batch 2 was borderline undrinkably sour.

Back