Beer along I93 to Rockport MA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yasky

Reaction score
So, short story long, Myself, my wife and our daughter will be heading to Vermont the week after FOFA. Part of my penance for hitting Hill and the Lawsons market that Saturday is that my wife wants to go to Cape Ann.

Is there anywhere at all worth hitting along I93 once I leave Vermont, either in terms of breweries or bottle shops?

Sounds like a fun trip.

I'm not too familiar with much north of Manchester, NH, but for bottle shops there are a few. I like The Drinkery in Londonderry (they are also opening a Derry location early next week.) Nice people. If their hours don't work for you, then I'd hit Bert's Better Beers in Hooksett. Both places pretty much have the same selection / whatever.

In MA you need to stop at Redstone Liquors in Stoneham. Good guys and a really great bottle selection. All of these places are right off 93.

For Breweries, there are a few in S. NH that I know of/have been to. If I had to choose one it would probably be Kelsen Brewing in Derry. They are tiny and very new (with limited selection) but their brown just took gold and an IIPA took a bronze in some competition. Also good guys.

In MA, Trillium in Boston is a must. A lot of folks also like Night Shift in Everett (I haven't been.) Both are close to 93. Further out there but worth the detour is Jack's Abby in Framingham, and even further out is Tree House (limited hours.) If you really want to hit those two it might make sense to take 91 instead of 93 and then take the Mass Pike east to Trillium.

Crap - I see Rockport now (I was thinking Rockland, which is south of Boston.)

The suggestions above still hold, but that 91 detour I suggested is going to be a bit more out of the way (but worth if it you can swing it with the family.) If I had to choose based on quality of beer, the Treehouse/JA/Trillium/Night Shift/Redstone route is going to net you some world class beer.

The Tap brewery is in Haverhill, not too far off of 93. Not a significant detour - worth going for a bite and a beer if you can swing it.

Tree House looks to be out of the question :( too bad, I would love to try some of their beers. Redstone looks to be fairly easy to get to off the I95 so that's probably a given.

See, had Blue Lobster not been such pricks in letting their brewer go I would have gladly made the detour there.

See, had Blue Lobster not been such pricks in letting their brewer go I would have gladly made the detour there.

Good. He comes off as a miserable prick in person too, at least to me.

...dave does? Are you thinking of the BL owner, perchance?
Oh no, not Dave - he was a sweet angel the time I was there and he was in the front of the house (and every time I've interacted with him online.) I was referring to the owner, who made you feel like you were putting him out when when asking for a growler fill. It's too bad, because it's a beautiful place and everyone else I met there was nice a can be.

Tree House looks to be out of the question :( too bad, I would love to try some of their beers. Redstone looks to be fairly easy to get to off the I95 so that's probably a given.

Redstone is right by the I93/I95 interchange and as mentioned is a great store. Right down the street is Rapids Liquors which has really improved their selection and is substantially easier on the wallet for most beers.

Cape Ann Brewing in a Gloucester, Ma is a pretty good stop. Their brew pub is right on the water, they have some cool bar games, consistently have a cask available, and make some pretty legit beers. The brew pub is ~10 minutes from Rockport.

Back