Beer Cellar thread - real cellars, closet cellars, fridge cellars, freezer cellars, wine coolers

Discussion in 'Cellaring Beer' started by evilc, Oct 3, 2013.

1. 2plums4one

2plums4one

Those shelves have served me well but they do start to bow after a while if they aare full. They are supposed to be ilke 400-800 lbs per shelf so I am not sure why they are bowing. Shouldn't have any issues if its not 100% full

jkschoessel likes this.
  2. acurtis

acurtis

Mor trips to my house in order brah

PepeSylvia likes this.
  3. jkschoessel

jkschoessel

I was concerned about this because I have similar shelving in my garage and shed and they've all bowed (I'm sure humidity is also a factor). I'm keeping a close eye on them and made sure not to fully load down any one shelf in particular. Thank you for looking out!

2plums4one and PepeSylvia like this.
  4. mwbbq

mwbbq

I posted about this somewhere else before, but I have the same type of shelves and they were also bowing. Then, I saw a picture of somebody's shelf when one of them failed and they lost like 30 bottles :eek:

The next day, I went to Home Depot and bought one huge piece of 3/4" plywood and had them cut it to size for the 4 shelves I use. No more bowing and under $20 for a fix. Strongly recommended.

5. jkschoessel

jkschoessel

I think I might look into that. I've got a table saw so cutting the plywood wouldn't be an issue and it's definitely stronger than that crappy particle board. Thanks for the tip mwbbq!!

CruisaC and mwbbq like this.
  6. Brubaker

Brubaker

For my shelving, I'm thinking of going with IKEA butcher block and steel pipe. My shelves will be permanent fixtures though, so I'm trying to make it look as nice as possible.

Something along the lines of this (I think I'd have 4 shelves by 5 or 6 feet long):
    [​IMG]

7. FTowne

FTowne

Sexy