Beer Cellar thread - real cellars, closet cellars, fridge cellars, freezer cellars, wine coolers

Discussion in 'Cellaring Beer' started by evilc, Oct 3, 2013.

1. 2plums4one

2plums4one

Those shelves have served me well but they do start to bow after a while if they aare full. They are supposed to be ilke 400-800 lbs per shelf so I am not sure why they are bowing. Shouldn't have any issues if its not 100% full

jkschoessel likes this.
  2. acurtis

acurtis

Mor trips to my house in order brah

PepeSylvia likes this.
  3. jkschoessel

jkschoessel

I was concerned about this because I have similar shelving in my garage and shed and they've all bowed (I'm sure humidity is also a factor). I'm keeping a close eye on them and made sure not to fully load down any one shelf in particular. Thank you for looking out!

2plums4one and PepeSylvia like this.
  4. mwbbq

mwbbq

I posted about this somewhere else before, but I have the same type of shelves and they were also bowing. Then, I saw a picture of somebody's shelf when one of them failed and they lost like 30 bottles :eek:

The next day, I went to Home Depot and bought one huge piece of 3/4" plywood and had them cut it to size for the 4 shelves I use. No more bowing and under $20 for a fix. Strongly recommended.

5. jkschoessel

jkschoessel

I think I might look into that. I've got a table saw so cutting the plywood wouldn't be an issue and it's definitely stronger than that crappy particle board. Thanks for the tip mwbbq!!

CruisaC and mwbbq like this.
  6. Brubaker

Brubaker

For my shelving, I'm thinking of going with IKEA butcher block and steel pipe. My shelves will be permanent fixtures though, so I'm trying to make it look as nice as possible.

Something along the lines of this (I think I'd have 4 shelves by 5 or 6 feet long):
    [​IMG]

7. FTowne

FTowne

Sexy

8. MrHensley

MrHensley

Our family closet cellar is running out of room. Do you guys find that you buy more beers than you actually drink?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tosh, cosmicevan and lambandtunaphish like this.
  9. I did, until I decided to stop buying beer that I don't actually like; I only buy beer that goes right into the fridge, saisons and lambic now. No problems keeping my cellar under control anymore...

10. drbenzo

drbenzo

Yup... back in 2013. And I would just drink through most of it. In my experience not a lot BA stouts hold up very well, especially if they're already BA. Just my 2 cents. I've been drinking through my cellar for years and keeping mostly big Broohery and Lambic, and a few barley wines.

11. BadJustin

BadJustin

+1 on this. Works great.

12. davey101

davey101

This. I only age lambic and yellow cap DFH beers now. Very few beers I aged actually improved.

13. blue_bleeder

blue_bleeder

FTFM

14. TheAbyss

TheAbyss

I didn't realize how bad my beer hording had become until I moved. Having to move and store 30ish full 12 shippers forced a life change. Now I just drink my cellar and only really horde things I love that I cant get year round.

GRDave, duceswild, FTowne and 2 others like this.
  15. PepeSylvia

PepeSylvia

Working towards this now...

GRDave, drbenzo, FTowne and 1 other person like this.
  16. kscaldef

kscaldef

Wait... there are people who don't buy more than they can actually drink?