Beer Cellar thread - real cellars, closet cellars, fridge cellars, freezer cellars, wine coolers

Discussion in 'Cellaring Beer' started by evilc, Oct 3, 2013.

1. neorunner

neorunner

A redundant fail open system controlling the temperature can't be much more cost vs the potential loss on a system freezing and destroying collections.

2. stupac2

stupac2

Depending on the setup you could also get a system that can't freeze. My wine fridge uses Peltier coolers which can only get ~25F below ambient temps. Kinda a bummer if the space gets really hot, but it makes it virtually impossible for them to freeze anything. Unless I move into an igloo, I guess.

3. neorunner

neorunner

Agreed, purpose built wine/beer fridges tend to be $$$ vs the chest freezer temp controller setups, especially at larger scales. I guess my point is you can save money with a chest freezer setup, but don't be such a cheapass that your $4000 beer collection freezes in your 150$ chest freezer because you went for the $19.99 budget temp controller and didn't add in any fail safes.

4. stupac2

stupac2

Also, consider operating costs! Peltier coolers are way, way more efficient than compressors, this fridge has probably paid for itself even compared to a "free" craigslist fridge and a probe.

duketheredeemer likes this.
  5. 2plums4one

2plums4one

I think if you have "expensive" beer that you plan on aging more than a year or two, the investment in a decent thermo-electric wine cooler is well worth it. I run three haier 18 bottle thermo-electrics, they cost me about 200$ a pop but are flawless and also thermo-electric offers some unique benefits.

6. duketheredeemer

duketheredeemer

Personally, I've replaced all the liquid in my expensive beer bottles with helium, as helium won't freeze even down absolute zero. It's the only way to be sure.

buzzword, Der Fuchs, CSO and 10 others like this.
  7. neorunner

neorunner

But I can't age those next to my icebock pastry lagers in my sterling engine sub-zero fridge

8. trio2shine

trio2shine

Looking for anyone here with experience on under counter/built in wine fridges. Looking to make a decent purchase but don't think I can justify shelling out for a Eurocave.

Had my eye on a setup along these lines but haven't been able to pull the trigger.

http://www.wineenthusiast.com/n-finity-pro-double-s-wine-cellar.asp

Any feedback would be appreciated.

9. brother rebus

brother rebus

$1800. holy. shit.

10. stupac2

stupac2

$1800 for 46 bottles? That's super fucking terrible, especially in CA you can usually find something on craigslist for decent. I don't think those halves are much bigger than mine which was like $200 on amazon, though the dimensions might be slightly off, I'm not sure. I'd really recommend shopping around, especially on craigslist, to find something cheaper. Is this for somewhere where aesthetics matter?

trio2shine, davey101 and oldp0rt like this.
  11. brother rebus

brother rebus

bild it

sfsea and davey101 like this.
  12. trio2shine

trio2shine

I think it’s 46 a side (dual fridges), and in this case aesthetics do matter as it’ll go in our dining room so not shoved in a spare room or out in the garage anymore. So I really need something that’ll fit under the counter with proper ventilation and looks half decent but most importantly functions well.

13. stupac2

stupac2

46 a side is somewhat more reasonable, but I'm confused because that's clearly not what it says, and it looks like the sides are only ~20 per. I'd definitely want to look at one in person or otherwise get clarity on that if I were you, $36-ish per bottle is terrible value.

If ventilation is a concern just get something that runs with a Peltier cooler. It's all-electric so there's way less waste heat than a compressor (also silent, which will presumably be a plus if it's a dining room). The downside is they can only cool so far down from ambient temps, but it's like 30 degrees so as long as your dining room isn't hitting the upper 80's it won't be an issue.

This is the model I have, although it's unavailable right now I think you'd be better off looking for 1-2 of something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FHAGNK/?tag=talkbecom09-20. I bet it'd be less than half the price for the same number of bottles.

Gonzoillini and trio2shine like this.
  14. jtmartino

jtmartino

FWIW there is a huge difference between the expensive and cheap units. I have a cheaper Vinotemp ($400) that is slightly better than Haier quality and the thermostat and cooling unit are starting to go after a few years. But the racks, the door, and the display are all cheap feeling compared to a high-end unit,

The more expensive units are made to be more durable and long lasting. And they just feel better with the rolling shelves and solid doors. Keep 8n mind the expensive units are probably 2-3x as heavy as a cheap unit.

Take a look in person if you can. There really is a huge difference in form and function between a $300 and $2k unit.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  15. stupac2

stupac2

Really? Mine is approximately a Haier and still going flawlessly after 6-7 years. Of course, I removed my shelves so that's not a concern. I think it being Peltier is a big difference in terms of durability.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  16. coldstorage

coldstorage

I'm under the impression that another key difference between the N'Finity cellars like the one posted above and cheaper wine fridges is that the cellars have a functioning humidity control while the wine fridges either have none or it doesn't really work very well. Haven't done the research myself so couldn't tell ya if its true or emperors new clothes...

Gonzoillini likes this.
  17. bostonvert

bostonvert

OG musty Belgian cellar, opened up one of the vent windows to make the picture. This is just one side of the lambic cellar, the other half are old brick caveaus that are super easy to store bottles in. The Girardin crate is full of various years and the other case is full of old (green)label 3F 75 bottles from various years. This is why I love my old farm, cellar with 3 rooms and year round 13-15 degrees

[​IMG]

18. MarkJC1018

MarkJC1018

I went with this one last year and I couldn't recommend it enough:

http://www.wineenthusiast.com/n-fin...um=email&utm_campaign=orderconfirm&showcode=N

You'll be happy with N'Finity Pro if you decide to go that route.

duketheredeemer and trio2shine like this.
  19. Josh

Josh

furley likes this.
  20. furley

furley

cheers

Josh likes this.