Beer/Food Pairing Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Os

Reaction score
Figured we could post some successful pairings and ask questions here... I'm sure there will be a ton of rueben and potato pairings

so with the NFL Draft this Thursday, I wanted to get wings but have the following bottles I'm planning on opening

Sahalie
5 Sciences
Backacre Golden Sour

I don't think the sours would mesh well with wings... thoughts?

yeah... I think I may stay away from the wings because we wanted to open those bottles

Pair the 5 Sciences with a nice smoked ham. Trust me on that...

Also, barleywines work great with blue cheese. I could see bigfoot and not-too-spicy wings with blue cheese dressing doing good things. Typically for sports I just don't worry about it, drink whatever I have on tap with whatever I have to eat.

might do Heady and spicy wings...

save the sours for after? I tend to only like pairing sours with sweet stuff

might do Heady and spicy wings...

save the sours for after? I tend to only like pairing sours with sweet stuff
Port Omna was awesome with spicy wings last night. Any well-balanced stout is great w/ wings. Of course that's only if you don't want to drink something big and malty like a TIPA (best pairing ever) or Barleywine/Scotch Ale/etc. Heady might not have quite enough malt depending on how spicy those wings are, but maybe.

Maybe get some BBQ wings for the sours... would have to be some more intense/dark sours though.

I'm thinking the sours will have to go before or after the food...

I tend to like hoppy beers w/ spicy food...

Anyone got a good cheese recommendation to go with Hill Farmstead Arthur and Cantillon Classic Geuze? Was thinking Gouda but would also like to try something new.

Anyone got a good cheese recommendation to go with Hill Farmstead Arthur and Cantillon Classic Geuze? Was thinking Gouda but would also like to try something new.

18 month or 3 year Gouda is a pretty ideal pairing, but if you want to switch it up you could go with an aged manchego, or there's a Spanish cheese called ossau iraty that I think would work . I don't know if you like blue cheese, but St. Agur, and Roquefort revelation would also pair really well with the lambic.

Off Color Scurry & Pulled Pork

9IFS8jt.jpg

Also can't go wrong with Humboldt Fog. Oh, and Drunken Goat. I also like pretty much any Roquefort and a Truffle Pecorino (the latter is a fun style to pair with a Trippel).

Tired Hands x Pizza Brain BrainHands. "Pizza-inspired gose" with house-smoked salt, Meyer lemon, basil, and crushed red pepper. Paired with a slice from Pizza Brain. Extremely complimentary, with the spice and citrus in the beer helping the sweet, herbal pizza sauce. Complete shame spiral pairing. The beer makes you want more pizza, which makes you want more beer, until all of both are gone and you are embarrassed.

cc8afe0d25f91df3cd6460dd50336055_640x640.jpg

Need some help on what to bring to a BYOB ramen joint. Some hamachi collar will most likely be had as well. I'm thinking a geuze and a saison.
Whats you guize got for me?

Need some help on what to bring to a BYOB ramen joint. Some hamachi collar will most likely be had as well. I'm thinking a geuze and a saison.
Whats you guize got for me?

If you're up for using a healthy dose of sriracha or something of the sort, definitely a fruited sour. I love pairing that with Thai food, for example. The heat sort of tampers down the sour aspect of the beer and highlights all dat complex fruit. It's fabulous.

Ok guys, not sure if this is the best place to drop this but here goes.

Planning a beer/food themed weekend (2 weeks from yesterday) with 6-7 buddies. Most of the guys like good beer but are a few light years from a beer website being their most trafficked :rolleyes:. A chef friend is doing all the cooking and below is potential menu (still finalizing). I'm planning on supplying the beer from a combo of my cellar and whatever gems my boy Chris at Peabodys can drum up for me.

Saturday brunch

Pan Fried Gnocchi with Crispy Pork Belly & Eggs
Veggie Frittata with Homemade Garden Chile Hot Sauce
Spicy Sausage Gravy and Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits
Brioche French Toast with Maple Syrup & Roasted Bananas
Soft Scrambled Eggs with herbs & creme fraiche on Sourdough
Breakfast Polenta with Chile Peppers and Cheese
Candied Bacon (Man Weekend Must Have)

Lunch Saturday---large mixed charcuterie board (at a certain time) with different cured meats, cheeses, homemade focaccia bread, pickles & mustard. Also, i'll have a selection of roasted veg and other sandwich condiments. tabbouleh salad (fresh mint, parsley, bulgur wheat, tomatoes, red onion, lemon, za'atar spices), cut seasonal fruit & a few bags of chips.

Dinner Saturday---
Fried Green Tomato
herbed chevre, candied bacon & basil
Late Harvest Panzanella
Sourdough, pickled watermelon, fresh mint & thai basil
Corn Soup
smoked bacon, lemon thyme & pepitas
Warm Octopus Salad
tomatoes, white beans & capers
Pumpkin & Golden Beet Risotto
pan roasted meat
Prime NY Strip Steak
Buttered Potatoes, roasted onions & carrots
Salted Caramels & Chocolate Torta with fresh cream"

Obviously we won't have quite all of these courses but lots for sure. Factoring in palate fatigue and maybe not quite as seasoned livers as some of my neck bearded brethren, I'd love to get some input on pairing. Get as specific as you like.

And Gene, link clicked and book ordered!

Cheers

Ok guys, not sure if this is the best place to drop this but here goes.

Planning a beer/food themed weekend (2 weeks from yesterday) with 6-7 buddies. Most of the guys like good beer but are a few light years from a beer website being their most trafficked :rolleyes:. A chef friend is doing all the cooking and below is potential menu (still finalizing). I'm planning on supplying the beer from a combo of my cellar and whatever gems my boy Chris at Peabodys can drum up for me.

Saturday brunch

Pan Fried Gnocchi with Crispy Pork Belly & Eggs
Veggie Frittata with Homemade Garden Chile Hot Sauce
Spicy Sausage Gravy and Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits
Brioche French Toast with Maple Syrup & Roasted Bananas
Soft Scrambled Eggs with herbs & creme fraiche on Sourdough
Breakfast Polenta with Chile Peppers and Cheese
Candied Bacon (Man Weekend Must Have)

Lunch Saturday---large mixed charcuterie board (at a certain time) with different cured meats, cheeses, homemade focaccia bread, pickles & mustard. Also, i'll have a selection of roasted veg and other sandwich condiments. tabbouleh salad (fresh mint, parsley, bulgur wheat, tomatoes, red onion, lemon, za'atar spices), cut seasonal fruit & a few bags of chips.

Dinner Saturday---
Fried Green Tomato
herbed chevre, candied bacon & basil
Late Harvest Panzanella
Sourdough, pickled watermelon, fresh mint & thai basil
Corn Soup
smoked bacon, lemon thyme & pepitas
Warm Octopus Salad
tomatoes, white beans & capers
Pumpkin & Golden Beet Risotto
pan roasted meat
Prime NY Strip Steak
Buttered Potatoes, roasted onions & carrots
Salted Caramels & Chocolate Torta with fresh cream"

Obviously we won't have quite all of these courses but lots for sure. Factoring in palate fatigue and maybe not quite as seasoned livers as some of my neck bearded brethren, I'd love to get some input on pairing. Get as specific as you like.

And Gene, link clicked and book ordered!

Cheers

Get a saison or tripel into you at brunch, no doubt. APA for lunch. Red IPA with that dinner.

You are traversing a lot of terrain with all courses but saisons work with everything - salty pork, hot sauce, scrambled eggs - they have more than enough to cope with it all.

I like Red IPA or American Ambers for the same reason. With both malt and hops, you can pair a lot of foods with them.

I saw the Basajo rec above and will give it a try.

Having some friends over and we are opening some Bruery/Rare Barrel sours. What are some other good, standard pairings?

sours and roast pork belly/shoulder is the best. Also cheese of course. Soft brie, blue, and goats cheese.

Things that are fatty/creamy to help accentuate the sour and let the beer cleanse the palate. But sometimes if you are tasting a few with a couple of people the beer can get a bit lost in the food so be careful you don't overwhelm everyone.

Necro thread revival time!

What is the general consensus when it comes to basic pairings? Do you tend to pair similar character profiles together or go in a completely contrasting direction?

For example, with a sweet chocolate dessert would it be best to drop a sugar bomb on top of it or go in the opposite direction and pair up something like a dry stout? What about ceviche? Add on top of the acid with lambic or counter it with something like a wheat?

My gut feeling is to do the contrast instead of compliment. Sour on sour could work but might be overkill for some of the attendees. I need to look at this from the standpoint of what will get mass appeal.

I think my taste in beer has changed... I prefer subtle over extreme. I think that is even more true when eating. I want something to cleanse my palate and quench my thirst. So I tend to stick with a pils, pale ale, gueuze or saison. Some tart is ok but I don't want anything too sour.

with desert I can make an exception and go with a nice stout. A porter works just fine

We did have a Brother Soigne w/ ceviche last month and it went really nicely together.

Back