Best way to add tea?

Discussion in 'Brewing & Beer Knowledge' started by Grace7321, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Grace7321

Grace7321

Hi iv just brewed a 25L batch of wheat beer and it's now fermenting nicely. I was thinking of adding earl grey tea to it can anyone tell me the best way to do this and around what quantity of tea would be needed to get a hint of flavour so it's not overpowering.

Thanks

Gene likes this.
  2. SirDickButts

SirDickButts

From my experience, it's best to add tea as a dry hop addition, basically treating the beer as a cold brew, but steeping at room temp. I dont use more than 2-3oz per 5 gallons.

Edit:

If you're worried about a possible infection, you can always pre-steep the loose leaf tea (within a muslin bag) in 205 degree water, chill it down...then add it as a dry hop or you could simply dip the muslin bag (with loose leaf tea inside) into starsan.

FYI, never had an infection dry hopping tea as is.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    agrippin, JulianB and rcubed like this.
  3. Grace7321

Grace7321

Thanks for the advise it's very helpful, cheers

SirDickButts likes this.
  4. JulianB

JulianB

This is useful, I was thinking about doing a saison with tea on an upcoming brew day. Any thoughts on differences between styles of tea and quantity/concentration? I'm specifically lookin to use black tea in mine.

SirDickButts likes this.
  5. SirDickButts

SirDickButts

I use mainly botanicals and black teas. I've also used black teas for stouts. black teas are more sweeter and have a bigger flavor yield than botanicals/herbals and white teas. botanicals/herbals and whites have better aromatic properties...and are a bit delicate on taste.

2oz is money for me. Just pull samples to find your aroma/taste preferences. What I really love about using tea is the color yield it churns out. I love rishi tea. Their Earl Greys are killer.

JulianB likes this.
  6. BigFrank

BigFrank