Best way to add tea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace7321

Reaction score
Hi iv just brewed a 25L batch of wheat beer and it's now fermenting nicely. I was thinking of adding earl grey tea to it can anyone tell me the best way to do this and around what quantity of tea would be needed to get a hint of flavour so it's not overpowering.

Thanks

Hi iv just brewed a 25L batch of wheat beer and it's now fermenting nicely. I was thinking of adding earl grey tea to it can anyone tell me the best way to do this and around what quantity of tea would be needed to get a hint of flavour so it's not overpowering.

Thanks

From my experience, it's best to add tea as a dry hop addition, basically treating the beer as a cold brew, but steeping at room temp. I dont use more than 2-3oz per 5 gallons.

Edit:

If you're worried about a possible infection, you can always pre-steep the loose leaf tea (within a muslin bag) in 205 degree water, chill it down...then add it as a dry hop or you could simply dip the muslin bag (with loose leaf tea inside) into starsan.

FYI, never had an infection dry hopping tea as is.

Last edited:
From my experience, it's best to add tea as a dry hop addition, basically treating the beer as a cold brew, but steeping at room temp. I dont use more than 2-3oz per 5 gallons.

Edit:

If you're worried about a possible infection, you can always pre-steep the loose leaf tea (within a muslin bag) in 205 degree water, chill it down...then add it as a dry hop or you could simply dip the muslin bag (with loose leaf tea inside) into starsan.

Thanks for the advise it's very helpful, cheers

Edit:

This is useful, I was thinking about doing a saison with tea on an upcoming brew day. Any thoughts on differences between styles of tea and quantity/concentration? I'm specifically lookin to use black tea in mine.

This is useful, I was thinking about doing a saison with tea on an upcoming brew day. Any thoughts on differences between styles of tea and quantity/concentration? I'm specifically lookin to use black tea in mine.

I use mainly botanicals and black teas. I've also used black teas for stouts. black teas are more sweeter and have a bigger flavor yield than botanicals/herbals and white teas. botanicals/herbals and whites have better aromatic properties...and are a bit delicate on taste.

2oz is money for me. Just pull samples to find your aroma/taste preferences. What I really love about using tea is the color yield it churns out. I love rishi tea. Their Earl Greys are killer.

giphy.gif

Back