Bigfoot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aml42000

Reaction score
We have a couple that we've been friends with for 10 years. We're hanging out today & I'm bringing these 2003's to share. I'll post a review later.

M02ikVN.jpg

I like everything about this thread. Since getting into craft, Bigfoot has been my go to. Trying to fill out a 10 year (actually 11... '03-'13), and missing '04-'07... It is the bane of my trading life

I'm adding the review to the cellar reviews thread. In a nutshell, it was drinking very well.

What made that year's so limited?

Two things I've heard: There was some sort of brewing snafu and there was only a small batch available at teh brewery and or 2) there was an issue with the signature caps and they only brewed a small batch because they didn't have the caps. Seems like both are a stretch, so I really don't know.

Two things I've heard: There was some sort of brewing snafu and there was only a small batch available at teh brewery and or 2) there was an issue with the signature caps and they only brewed a small batch because they didn't have the caps. Seems like both are a stretch, so I really don't know.

Thanks. I can definitely see #1 as the much feasible reason as I would imagine the beer itself is much more important than a signature cap. Breweries sometimes do weird ****, though, so it wouldn't surprise me either way.

I'll let you all know when I finally get around to this too....

421582_733838275635_503114151_n.jpg

Hey - we're BF Vertical Buddies!
HedUNL3.jpg

So the curse with these verticals is, what the hell is the right way to handle them? An entire tasting devoted to 200+ ounces of Bigfoot seems a little much. I'm of two minds: first break them into four or 5 "timeslice" groupings - figure that's one way to get a good idea of changes by 3 or 4 year chunk. This is the more social/sharing choice.

The other way is what I'm leaning towards: set out to knock them all out (which gives the added benefit of clearing up a case in the basement), but spread it out over the course of a month+. What I'll do is have some fun with it - do it completely blind. Have my wife randomly pull bottles and pour, then play the guessing game.

Treebs Is that 1988 the first batch?

surlytheduff my suggestion is to have a tasting that focuses mainly (or entirely) on Bigfoot. With 6 people in the group, you get 2oz pours and about 4x 12oz beers in total when the case is full.

First year was '83 (2008 was the 25th anniversary label). Started dating crowns in '87. Here's a couple pictures of some old bottles:
DSCF0057.jpg

DSC_0651.jpg

I like Bigfoot, but in one sitting I'd much rather have some variety. I don't think you'd be able to appreciate some of the aging nuances in a big ass session like that.

Plus, I'm stingy and antisocial.

Last edited:
Yeah, for verticals that long I prefer to have one from each decade, or maybe every five years at the most. You get to see more significant changes from beer to beer, and if you started with a complete vertical you've still got a few tastings left for the years to come.

Wow, I thought I was pushing the envelope cracking one of my 2010 Bigfoot's last night - I really enjoyed it, perfect for a snowy night by the fire.

Latest posts

Back