Other Booze Bitters? Any help

Discussion in 'Whiskey, Wine & Other Booze' started by unclejazz, Apr 13, 2014.

1. unclejazz

unclejazz

Live in upstate NY and wanting to learn more about good bitters. My experience is limited to Angosturra and Compari.

2. Michigan

Michigan

You looking to make them yourself or try out some different ones?

3. unclejazz

unclejazz

Either, if you know website or book a outing making, that is great. Is there a place I can buy some small batch on the interweb?

4. quirkzoo

quirkzoo

I know technically Rochester is Western not Upstate but these guys are based out of Rochester

http://www.feebrothers.com

Their line is quite varied and of the varieties that I have had they are very solid choices. With that said RochesterAaron lives in, you guessed it, Rochester and had a hard time finding them so not sure where the best place to buy them is.

Envelopes and RochesterAaron like this.
  5. kuemmelbrau

kuemmelbrau

Peychauds. Check them out.

Envelopes and domtronzero like this.
  6. kuemmelbrau

kuemmelbrau

Alright, on a srs note I have been into bitters for a long time. Im sure i have tried hundreds of them. (it is a big thing here) I recommend making your own as you can really nail down the specific flavors you are looking for, or just order from this company (you can buy from amazon) http://www.elguapobitters.com/store.html these guys make the most awesome varieties of flavors, and every one I have had has been excellent. 10% of all their sales goes to wounded veteran charities. They really imphasize how bitters can easily be used in cooking and not just drinks.

Also, a few dashes of their chicory pecan in some coffee is fucking amazing.

Envelopes likes this.
  7. gwcad

gwcad

The standard Fee Brothers bitters are not alcohol based. I make all my own now and have probably 15 or so varieties bottled at the moment. Every bar should have an aromatic (like angostura), an orange (like regans), and peychauds. From there you can start to branch out into more unique flavors.

pkeigan and kuemmelbrau like this.
  8. buzzword

buzzword

this. nothing else to add.

9. RochesterAaron

RochesterAaron

As quirkzoo said Fee brothers is in Rochester and apparently has a company store? I haven't checked it out yet, but it's only a few miles away and I'm planning on it.

Lots of people in this thread seem to not be feeling their products though.

10. SevenStills

SevenStills

The book titled bitters is your best bet or the new one by mark Bittermilk called bitters and amaro

11. buzzword

buzzword

are you guys still getting wash from Bryan? I heard he went out of business or had something weird happen with his licensing.

12. coldcrash

coldcrash

Can we talk about homemade bitters?

A few months ago I think drbenzo posted pics of his process and it inspired a curiosity/ desire to play around w making my own. Can't find that post now (maybe buried in the mixed drinks thread...)

Anyone w experience feel like chiming in on process basics, steep time, etc? I'm sure I could just buy a book but prefer to start by asking this community for real experiences.

drbenzo likes this.
  13. drbenzo

drbenzo

Good resource here
    http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/04/how-to-make-your-own-angostura-bitters-zachary-feldman.html

My bitters turned out okay... I don't have a lot of time to chat RN but will post more next week

coldcrash likes this.
  14. franch

franch

make a manhattan with cherrybark vanilla by bitter cube and your life will change

15. coldcrash

coldcrash

So a few weeks after the above post I got this book as a birthday gift.

[​IMG]

First attempt at the recipe on pg 54 went into the jar today. I know I should have followed the recipe exactly before experimenting, but I possess the character flaw of impatience, so I substituted Galaxy hops for the fresh orange peel that it called for.

Will report back in a few weeks...

JCastle, Lognar and drbenzo like this.
  16. JCastle

JCastle

Anyone ever made tonic water at home? I used to make Jeffrey Morgenthaler's recipe but I can't find cinchona anymore, I was thinking of using some other bittering agent like quassia or wormwood...

coldcrash likes this.
  17. JCastle

JCastle

I ended up making it with quassia. Reportedly way more bitter than cinchona, we'll see. Added rosehips and lavender too, and the simple syrup mix is hopped with Amarillo. Hoping it's drinkable.

The leftover quassia will be turned into angostura soon.

Gene and coldcrash like this.
  18. Gene

Gene Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

19. coldcrash

coldcrash

Oh, should I actually have reported back?

[​IMG]

House bitters turned out well. Nice warm baking spice and juicy citrus. Hops add an additional layer of bitterness; pretty assertive- I'd probably cut by half if I make another batch.

Recipe:

5 green cardamom pods
    2 cinnamon sticks
    1 star anise
    1 vanilla bean
    3 cloves
    1/4 tsp quassia chips
    1/4 tsp gentian root
    2 Tbs Galaxy hop pellets
    2 cups Rittenhouse Rye
    1 cup water
    2 Tbs 2:1 simple syrup (turbinado)

Steep first 9 ingredients in Rye for two weeks, shaking a few times a day. Strain liquid through cheesecloth into a fresh mason jar and set aside; add solids to 1 cup water in a saucepan and simmer 10 mins. Cool, and transfer entire contents to a second mason jar. Allow water mixture to steep for one week before straining, discarding solids, and adding liquid to infused Rye along with simple syrup.

I also made coffee bitters at the same time. 1/2 cup Ethiopia Yirgacheffe, 1 tsp cacao nibs, 1/2 tsp cassia chips, 2 cups Everclear and 1 cup water. Same process as above.

The two are pictured above in my Thanksgiving Old Fashioned.

Gonzoillini, Competicity and Gene like this.