Black Friday Goose Island Release Events (multi-state)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corbot_3000

Reaction score
Figured I'd post a thread for any and all info related to any Black Friday Goose Island releases. I know some stores plan on releasing them that morning as part of an event, some silently, and some for valued customers. Keeping the info on TalkBeer.com might help reduce the crowd while still spreading the word.

Regardless of what state you're in, feel free to contribute.

Store: Kahns Fine Liquors - Keystone
Time: November 29th @ 9 AM
What: BCBS, BCBS Barleywine, BCBS Coffee, BCBS Backyard, Halia, Gillian, Juliet, Lolita, and madame Rose
Other Info: 4-packs will be broken down into 2-packs for each customer, no word on limits besides that.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 packs? TWO PACKS?

Where's my ****ing pitchfork?

stQa9jY.gif

Any idea if there will be an event or distro in California?

If they decide to send **** to CA and even more **** to the shelves to collect dust in NY than they do to their regional Midwest market, I will write them a strongly worded letter of distaste and a large photo of Gary Busey in a bathing suit (I'm sure there's one on the internet somewhere).

Figured I'd post a thread for any and all info related to any Black Friday Goose Island releases. I know some stores plan on releasing them that morning as part of an event, some silently, and some for valued customers. Keeping the info on TalkBeer.com might help reduce the crowd while still spreading the word.

Regardless of what state you're in, feel free to contribute.

Store: Kahns Fine Liquors - Keystone
Time: November 29th @ 9 AM
What: BCBS, BCBS Barleywine, BCBS Coffee, BCBS Backyard, Halia, Gillian, Juliet, Lolita, and madame Rose
Other Info: 4-packs will be broken down into 2-packs for each customer, no word on limits besides that.

The plan is to consider a 2pk an allocation and a large bottle an allocation, and everyone in line gets two allocations (4 small bottles would be your two allocations, or 2 large, or 2 small and 1 large, or none if you're too far back in line). This is what I've heard from my mole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely coming to California. I know Harry's Hofbrau in San Jose is doing a release event on Dec. 5, and I'm assuming word about others will start popping up soon.

If they decide to send **** to CA and even more **** to the shelves to collect dust in NY than they do to their regional Midwest market, I will write them a strongly worded letter of distaste and a large photo of Gary Busey in a bathing suit (I'm sure there's one on the internet somewhere).

Could you CC me on that letter, please? I love me some Gary.

The Austin, Texas event will be Black Friday at Whole Foods Headquarters downtown. Info straight from their National Rep.

Haven't heard anything else besides that. 2pp wouldn't surprise me.... but given how popular the recent GI events were (with BCBCS and Cherry Rye) I would hope there'd be a higher limit here. There's a surprising lack of interest.

New Hampshire is still unconfirmed. I have a friend that runs 3 beer stores, 2 in NH and 1 in VT. He's likely to get some in VT but New Hampshire has zero sales tax yet charges a huge tariff to out of state breweries per-label depending on the expected import volume. So there's a tax but they don't call it that. Either way, we did raise our states maximum ABV so BCS technically can come to NH but if Goose Island decides to deal with our state's tariff system is up to them.

That leaves Vermont. They'll get BCS as they did last year but we have a huge problem here. Most of Vermont's stores that even know about BCS or know it'll be hugely popular won't be able to carry it. The reason is our most popular stores don't move a lot of Goose Island beers. They're not going through dozens of cases of Honkers and 312 every week so allocation will be slim.

Last year, one of the top beer stores in VT was selling BCS by the single bottle for $9.50 a piece so I didn't buy any but they had Cherry Rye for $25 so I bought 2. My local store in White River Junction I think got 2-3 cases. The employees split a case amongst them, a friend bought another case and the rest was gone VERY fast. I don't know how Winooski Beverage did last year, maybe some other Vermonters can weigh in?

====

Personally, my buddy and I are driving to chicago for black Friday so we can make sure to get our allocation and hopefully can get some in VT. last time it showed up in Late-January here.

Pretty much anyone who buys through one of the many stores that are served by Artisan distribution, for one...
Giving money to the distributor owned by a family member of the store owner is nowhere near the same thing as giving money to the store owner. Not that it really matters, I was just making a joke.

Pretty much anyone who buys through one of the many stores that are served by Artisan distribution, for one...

Giving money to the distributor owned by a family member of the store owner is nowhere near the same thing as giving money to the store owner.

The wink-wink "separation" between CBS and Artisan that they used to stiff other stores for years is part of the reason I don't support them (another major one being the markup they placed on FfaC, a charity beer, explicitly against RR's wishes). Either way, I've been asked not to return to CBS, so that option is out.

The Austin, Texas event will be Black Friday at Whole Foods Headquarters downtown. Info straight from their National Rep.

Haven't heard anything else besides that. 2pp wouldn't surprise me.... but given how popular the recent GI events were (with BCBCS and Cherry Rye) I would hope there'd be a higher limit here. There's a surprising lack of interest.
And then half of Houston shows up......

what. did you. do?

I called them out on their ******** in the forums.

I was particularly vocal about the FfaC nonsense, since RR donates all proceeds to charity. They distributed it to Beer Rev, Toronado, Trappist, and City Beer Store and asked them to sell it with no markup. Guess which one of those added $5 to the price?

I posted about it on BA and e-mailed Vinnie, who was apparently pretty pissed. Craig later messaged me on BA and asked me not to step foot in his store. He doesn't know who I am, so I don't care, but I still don't shop there.

Among other places where I seem to be unwelcome:

- Perry's Liquors in Livermore. Harpreet (the owner/buyer) claimed RR was brewing his store a special beer. I e-mailed Vinnie, who denied it. I posted a review and mocked Harpreet for lying. I also called them out on their back room of illegal beer and high prices. Harpreet told me (through a mutual friend) that he'd throw me out if I ever went back. I'd love to see the little **** try, but I don't go there anyway.

- Grape & Grain in San Mateo. The beer manager remarked that he held back bricks of Westvleteren 12 to break them up and sell them at a profit later. I posted that this was ******** (post was deleted). I commented on said ******** locally, and word got out to Adam. I think I'm unofficially banned.

- Whole Foods Los Altos. The old beer manager, Ramon, used to sell old IPAs. He once had a 4-month old end display of Pliny (this was years ago, when you could actually get Pliny in quantity) and he attempted to sell it with the claim that "Vinnie likes it with a little bit of age." Since the label explicitly says, "DO NOT AGE," I wrote a review expressing my derision, and Ramon contacted me to argue. He said that Vinnie was changing the Pliny label to reflect its ageability. Once again, I e-mailed Vinnie to check -- ********, of course -- and I posted a link to my BM exchange with Ramon. Apparently Whole Foods found it, and since Ramon was already on probation, he got fired. He ran into me earlier this year and shattered two Cantillon bottles in my face (empty). Sadly, the new buyer is even worse, so I haven't gone back.

- Monument in Concord. This was my go-to store for a period of about a year; it was over an hour away, but it had an amazing selection and very fair prices. Unfortunately, the beer buyer left, the selection stagnated, prices went up, and the overall experience wasn't worth it. There were cases and cases of year+ old IPAs gathering dust on the floor. On one trip, I saw FW XII in the display for $60 a bottle (this was when XIII came out I think) and I expressed surprise to my wife. The clerk (who always recognized me) overheard me and said angrily, "Someone will pay it. If you don't like it, don't buy it." I also later discovered they were breaking up and reselling Westy XII packs. I'm not banned exactly... Self-banned maybe?

- Cask & Flask in San Jose. I used to go there when I worked nearby. I realized that they had a Bruery RS membership and were selling RS-exclusive beers at a markup, and I wrote a review mentioning that. They messaged me and asked me not to return if I have a problem with their practices. I haven't gone back.

- FiftyFifty. I was a big champion of Eclipse in 2009 when people first started paying attention to it. I realized later that there was substantial bottle variation -- it wasn't debilitating in the 2009s, but it was pretty bad in the 2010 batch, and I wrote a series of reviews chronicling my journey through the ups and downs of various bottles. The brewer took offense and called me out through a series of private messages and even in person at the Eclipse anniversary party. I stopped reviewing his beers after that and have mostly ceased buying Eclipse (I didn't buy any in 2012 and just bought a couple for this year).

I'm seriously unimpressed with the caliber of people in the bottle shop business -- way too many unethical folks. I used to champion mom 'n' pop as a rule, but now I'd much rather support a large corporation like Whole Foods or BevMo.

I called them out on their ******** in the forums.

I was particularly vocal about the FfaC nonsense, since RR donates all proceeds to charity. They distributed it to Beer Rev, Toronado, Trappist, and City Beer Store and asked them to sell it with no markup. Guess which one of those added $5 to the price?

I posted about it on BA and e-mailed Vinnie, who was apparently pretty pissed. Craig later messaged me on BA and asked me not to step foot in his store. He doesn't know who I am, so I don't care, but I still don't shop there.

Among other places where I seem to be unwelcome:

- Perry's Liquors in Livermore. Harpreet (the owner/buyer) claimed RR was brewing his store a special beer. I e-mailed Vinnie, who denied it. I posted a review and mocked Harpreet for lying. I also called them out on their back room of illegal beer and high prices. Harpreet told me (through a mutual friend) that he'd throw me out if I ever went back. I'd love to see the little **** try, but I don't go there anyway.

- Grape & Grain in San Mateo. The beer manager remarked that he held back bricks of Westvleteren 12 to break them up and sell them at a profit later. I posted that this was ******** (post was deleted). I commented on said ******** locally, and word got out to Adam. I think I'm unofficially banned.

- Whole Foods Los Altos. The old beer manager, Ramon, used to sell old IPAs. He once had a 4-month old end display of Pliny (this was years ago, when you could actually get Pliny in quantity) and he attempted to sell it with the claim that "Vinnie likes it with a little bit of age." Since the label explicitly says, "DO NOT AGE," I wrote a review expressing my derision, and Ramon contacted me to argue. He said that Vinnie was changing the Pliny label to reflect its ageability. Once again, I e-mailed Vinnie to check -- ********, of course -- and I posted a link to my BM exchange with Ramon. Apparently Whole Foods found it, and since Ramon was already on probation, he got fired. He ran into me earlier this year and shattered two Cantillon bottles in my face (empty). Sadly, the new buyer is even worse, so I haven't gone back.

- Monument in Concord. This was my go-to store for a period of about a year; it was over an hour away, but it had an amazing selection and very fair prices. Unfortunately, the beer buyer left, the selection stagnated, prices went up, and the overall experience wasn't worth it. There were cases and cases of year+ old IPAs gathering dust on the floor. On one trip, I saw FW XII in the display for $60 a bottle (this was when XIII came out I think) and I expressed surprise to my wife. The clerk (who always recognized me) overheard me and said angrily, "Someone will pay it. If you don't like it, don't buy it." I also later discovered they were breaking up and reselling Westy XII packs. I'm not banned exactly... Self-banned maybe?

- Cask & Flask in San Jose. I used to go there when I worked nearby. I realized that they had a Bruery RS membership and were selling RS-exclusive beers at a markup, and I wrote a review mentioning that. They messaged me and asked me not to return if I have a problem with their practices. I haven't gone back.

- FiftyFifty. I was a big champion of Eclipse in 2009 when people first started paying attention to it. I realized later that there was substantial bottle variation -- it wasn't debilitating in the 2009s, but it was pretty bad in the 2010 batch, and I wrote a series of reviews chronicling my journey through the ups and downs of various bottles. The brewer took offense and called me out through a series of private messages and even in person at the Eclipse anniversary party. I stopped reviewing his beers after that and have mostly ceased buying Eclipse (I didn't buy any in 2012 and just bought a couple for this year).

I'm seriously unimpressed with the caliber of people in the bottle shop business -- way too many unethical folks. I used to champion mom 'n' pop as a rule, but now I'd much rather support a large corporation like Whole Foods or BevMo.
I'd like to party with you, cowboy.

Srs.

I suspect I may be banned from Kahn's a week from Friday if too many mother ****ers show up too early and I can't get my Backyard on.

Srs.

Coming armed.

Srs.

And no ***** throwing knives.

Strapped, 9 to the left .45 to the right.

Srs.

Have you ever been to the Kahn's area pre-dawn?

Super Srs.

Srs.
You said it. Hats off to someone who walks the walk!

Arbitrator, come to IN and drink our beers. In addition, we can tour the most diabolical, unethical stores filled with ancient IPAs, unreasonable prices, illegally obtained beer, and the seediest of proprietors.
(read that in your best internal Silky Johnson voice)

You said it. Hats off to someone who walks the walk!

Arbitrator, come to IN and drink our beers. In addition, we can tour the most diabolical, unethical stores filled with ancient IPAs, unreasonable prices, illegally obtained beer, and the seediest of proprietors.
(read that in your best internal Silky Johnson voice)
B2DsSQ2.gif

[shitty store owner's name]'s mother wears underwear with dick holes in 'em

I suspect I may be banned from Kahn's a week from Friday if too many mother ****ers show up too early and I can't get my Backyard on.

Srs.

Coming armed.

Srs.

And no ***** throwing knives.

Have you ever been to the Kahn's area pre-dawn?

Super Srs.
I will be in the all black trench coat come at me bro....

Srs.

Careful what you wish for.

I've gotten threatened by a couple of other people on BA -- one guy named deliriumfest (who looks like a younger Elliott Gould) and drewmprs (the "crazy like a fox" M story guy). Then there's my troll accounts that have been threatened. HaveUSeenMyCellar showed up to a bar opening carrying knives and asking for me.

One happy ending at least: pittsburgkid66 and I got in a little tiff last year on the forums. I forget the context, but he remarked that he was pretty generous with his beer, and I retorted, "Your last eBay auction had a starting price of $800." At Eclipse, he ran into largadeer and demanded that Chris introduce the two of us. pk66 looked me up and down and said, "YOU'RE Arbitrator?" I think I was wearing facepaint by then. We talked a little bit and parted on amicable terms. So one online grudge resolved.

Oh yeah, and I publicly frowned upon Bobbys Liquor's practices (he tried to resell a growler of HF beer on BA, and then later began simply doing it out of his shop). I've met the proprietor in person -- he's the nicest ****ing guy, and he has no idea who I am -- but westcoastbeerlvr started comparing me to him. "You know... you're both large*, you're both the same ethnicity**, and you both like Hill Farmstead." Seriously? This offended me because * I'm not [that] fat, ** This is a little racist. I asked westcoastbeerlvr if he related to all balding, prematurely-aged, overweight white men into beer. He didn't like that, either.

Oh ****, how did I forget the Rose & Crown in Palo Alto? We used to do tastings there, but we got thrown out after an especially large gathering that caused some bad blood. I actually understood their reasoning and continued to patronize them, but at one point I got annoyed with their lack of listed prices (every bill was a complete surprise at the end of the night, and as a grad student this was pretty painful). I wrote a mostly-positive Yelp review mentioning it. They actually had a "regular discount" which was nice, but I was really annoyed by a $12 pint of Matilda or something like that. The owner made a few sarcastic remarks the next time I went in, and thereafter I never received the "regular discount" again. I've been there maybe twice in the past couple of years. They did start listing prices though.

This one guy, Trilogy31 on BA, stalked me for a few years because he was convinced I was reselling beer on eBay. The annoying thing is that the account he suspected belongs to a friend of mine (we both went to the same school, which is referenced in the username), so I obviously didn't want to spill the beans on him. Trilogy31 implied he knew who I was / where I lived. I discovered it's some random **** that works at a hotel in SF, and I know who he is now, so I'm tempted to go there and harass him until I get banned.

Honesty is pretty liberating, but you can honest-opinion yourself out of places to shop if you're not careful. My entire BA experience was an illustrated history of "Doesn't play well with others."

/threadjack

Careful what you wish for.

I've been to Russian River 3 times. You are 1/2 of the reason they cut me off the first time. The 2nd time was my fault.........I don't regret either event I suppose.

I mean, you actually have to wear a wig at some places just to get served.

I've been to Russian River 3 times. You are 1/2 of the reason they cut me off the first time. The 2nd time was my fault.........I don't regret either event I suppose.

I mean, you actually have to wear a wig at some places just to get served.

Oh dude... That day was hilarious. I saw you chatting with the bar manager and I told your wife that I was so jealous of how quickly you made friends. Turns out we were getting thrown out.

...Which brings me to another shenanigan (last one, I swear). The final year that Younger was put into growlers, we got there at opening and took over the side room. I was two Youngers in by 11:15 and pretty drunk. We drank all day until I left around 6 pm.

At some point before that, we ran into Tomme Arthur sitting at a table. alfrantzell and largadeer told me to go up and say hi (I was notorious for bagging on Tomme / Lost Abbey on BA at the time). So I went up and introduced myself (real name). I listed a few beers of his that I liked and shook his hand. I then told him my BA handle. He looked a little annoyed and rushed off to the restroom. While he was gone, alfrantzell drank Tomme's beer and largadeer ate Tomme's pizza while his companions looked on incredulously. I think largadeer's parting words were, "Mmfmck moo" at the other people sitting there. I still had the wits about me to feel shame. But I am pretty sure Tomme Arthur hates me.

It's bad that I have so many stories like this, isn't it?

Arbitrator I knew that was you that liked to bring up bottle variation in the Eclipse beers. I couldn't remember and then you mentioned something about the eclipse party and I was confused. If it makes you feel better, I talked to Todd once and he admitted to the bottle variation. Obviously, he didn't say some bottles were crap, but basically they didn't, and possibly still don't, have tanks large enough to blend an entire batch at once. That lead to different blends for each bottle. To combat this, they just decided to put batch numbers on the bottles so you at least knew which batch you liked. Haven't bought a bottle to know if this is true, though, since they are stupid expensive here in Philly.

Oh dude... That day was hilarious. I saw you chatting with the bar manager and I told your wife that I was so jealous of how quickly you made friends. Turns out we were getting thrown out.

...Which brings me to another shenanigan (last one, I swear). The final year that Younger was put into growlers, we got there at opening and took over the side room. I was two Youngers in by 11:15 and pretty drunk. We drank all day until I left around 6 pm.

At some point before that, we ran into Tomme Arthur sitting at a table. alfrantzell and largadeer told me to go up and say hi (I was notorious for bagging on Tomme / Lost Abbey on BA at the time). So I went up and introduced myself (real name). I listed a few beers of his that I liked and shook his hand. I then told him my BA handle. He looked a little annoyed and rushed off to the restroom. While he was gone, alfrantzell drank Tomme's beer and largadeer ate Tomme's pizza while his companions looked on incredulously. I think largadeer's parting words were, "Mmfmck moo" at the other people sitting there. I still had the wits about me to feel shame. But I am pretty sure Tomme Arthur hates me.

It's bad that I have so many stories like this, isn't it?

Holy **** that is gold. Will demand pint curls whenever I'm in SF again.

So you and I will LITERALLY be the only two neck beards there without North Face garb on???

I don't think two such people have ever attended an Indiana event.....
Woah woah woah an Indian event without backfat and his yearlong neck beard? Does this mean he's doing it up Chicago style for the release?

How much is Proprietor's going to cost? I need to prepare for the $4$ battle on the trading forums.

Back