Black Tuesday Tasting Tournament

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerHatesRob

Reaction score
Anyone get selected to participate? I guess they sent out selections this afternoon. If anyone did and they want some help/suggestions/ingredients let me know. I have a killer Smoked Candied-Bacon & Chili recipe that I've worked on that I am quite proud of. Would hate to see it go to waste...in my mouth...

Anyone get selected to participate? I guess they sent out selections this afternoon. If anyone did and they want some help/suggestions/ingredients let me know. I have a killer Smoked Candied-Bacon & Chili recipe that I've worked on that I am quite proud of. Would hate to see it go to waste...in my mouth...

I'm sorry but that sounds vile

Okay I got in but there was a mixup up in dates.....has anyone received a date correction email? One date is good for me and the other is not, so fingers crossed haha.

Any predictions for the winning combo? I'd try out one of the following:

S'mores - BT on toasted marshmallows and graham crackers

Raspberry Lava Cake - BT on Raspberry puree and TCHO chocolate

Orange sticks - BT on candied orange peel

Creme Brulee - BT on vanilla with condensed milk

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip - BT on toasted oats, cinnamon, TCHO chocolate, raisins

Pecan Pie - BT on toasted pecans with a touch of cinnamon and vanilla

Salted Caramel - BT on caramel (toffee?) with sea salt

Pistachio - BT on pistachios

Maple Bacon - BT on maple candied bacon

Lavender - BT on lavender and vanilla beans

Chai - BT with Chai extract (or any other tea extract)

Holiday - BT on gingerbread or candy canes

Hey brah... I don't tell you what to enjoy.

46691-cat-deal-with-it-gif-IjeF.gif

But srsly, you like chilli beers, das kewl.

Okay I got in but there was a mixup up in dates.....has anyone received a date correction email? One date is good for me and the other is not, so fingers crossed haha.
I emailed and asked and Chris told me the July date was correct for Hoarders, but O'lesh posted on BA that july date was RS and August date was Hoarders and that a clarrification email would be coming. I hope July is the Hoarders date...

I emailed and asked and Chris told me the July date was correct for Hoarders, but O'lesh posted on BA that july date was RS and August date was Hoarders and that a clarrification email would be coming. I hope July is the Hoarders date...

Yeah I got the same thing.....we'll see haha. I'm hoping for July as well

You should ask if the "tasting tournament" invite is transferable and give it to me. Everyone knows that you don't even know how to boil water.

anyone know how to get a custard taste into a beer? Completely serious. I am going to try a Spotted Dick variant. Half for the luls and half because I think it is a great dessert and half because... well my name and all.

I do plan on doing a chocolate orange version too.

anyone know how to get a custard taste into a beer? Completely serious. I am going to try a Spotted Dick variant. Half for the luls and half because I think it is a great dessert and half because... well my name and all.

I do plan on doing a chocolate orange version too.

Lactose maybe? How are milk stouts made? That plus vanilla. And something for a creamy mouthfeel.

Lactose maybe? How are milk stouts made? That plus vanilla. And something for a creamy mouthfeel.

yeah, I was thinking that, but for the competition I am guessing we can just add it in the French press, plus BT is a thick enough beer I don't know if I want the mouth feel, I am going more for the flavor. Maybe I need to man up and add the cream and eggs.

yeah, I was thinking that, but for the competition I am guessing we can just add it in the French press, plus BT is a thick enough beer I don't know if I want the mouth feel, I am going more for the flavor. Maybe I need to man up and add the cream and eggs.

I tried to mix BT with my homemade eggnog last winter and it turned out pretty well. Finding the right ratio took a few tries but it was pretty good. Despite my eggnog being strong and heavy as ****, it actually helped to lighten up the BT and make it a little more drinkable.

Mocha Wednesday + eggnog on the other hand was terrible. I do not recommend that.

Wheat adds a lot to mouthfeel. I'd try that before Lacto. Lacto doesn't add body nearly as well as wheat IMO.

2nd, BT is incredibly drinkable already. Hides the 19% like no other beer even close to that range IMO. Drinkable as a 6% IPA? No, but more drinkable than a 12% RIS? I could argue yes.

I'm going to bring fresh cultures of lactobacillus, seems to be all the rage at The Bruery right now. Guarantee it wins. Easy game.

When you add it to the beer, you have to pretend it was an accident. Then for bonus points, come up with a funny name for the beer the represents how you screwed it up. Good luck!

When you add it to the beer, you have to pretend it was an accident. Then for bonus points, come up with a funny name for the beer the represents how you screwed it up. Good luck!
Damn, I'm gonna need more time to work on my concoction. But we're headed down the right path I feel....

Thought I would give an update on the RS event.

Overall, it was well ran and I had a great time. We had assigned tables that were 9 or 10 five people teams. However, there were a lot of no shows, so some people moved around and teams varied between 2 and 5.

We started by sampling GM, CR, and MW, with them telling us a little story on how these recipes were developed. After that we got to making our own versions of treated BT. This was completely free for all. I think we had about 1.5 hours to come up with ideas, vote as a team, and then present a final blend. As a heads up, that is not too much time. I personally wish I had another 20-30 minutes. I think treatments need around 30minutes to brew, and with prepping and limited number of coffee presses, this does not give much time for revisions and then resampling by the group.

Each team had to present a treatment that used 400ml of BT. All ingredients were recorded in grams. 5 teams would move on to the next round and compete against Hoarders (not sure how many move on after that round). The overall winning one (or more?) will be made as a cask for the BT party. Since it will be made and served fairly quickly you do not have to worry about extra fermentable sugars, filtering, ect.

My team placed 4th so we will be moving on. We did a Mexican Chocolate treatment with a little bit of cold brew coffee added (cinna-Monstra). I liked our recipe, and I liked how we used ingredients brought by three different team members. Only thing was there were 4 other teams who had a similar treatment as ours, so it wasn't too original.

After we presented our samples to the judges they had a huge assortment of cheese, meats, fruit, and bread. Very tasty. They also started opening some lower ABV Bruery stuff. I wish I had thought about bringing beer to share, but I didn't know what to expect seeing how there would be a **** ton of BT floating around. At the end of the day I was actually still sober (stayed until about 4:30pm).

My recipes that did not make it past my table was a chocolate orange with vanilla powder and a spotted dick dessert. The chocolate orange had a little too much orange. I used fresh zest and I feel it is so hard to gauge the potency of it until you use it. Also the cacao nibs did not come through that well, but I think this is due to the time. When I have done this in the past I have let it sit for 45-60minutes, I was only able to do 30 minutes this time. I think the spotted dick one came out amazing. It had vanilla powder, golden raisins, and lemon zest. Slightly less lemon would have been nice, and again I needed more time for the raisins to shine, but they were still noticeable. I was really happy with this and would have loved for it to be judged to see how it would have done compared to some of the others.

TL;DR : Great time! Moving on to the next round.

Any other blends that worked well?

someone did a blend of roasted and smoked coffee beans that was really good

also, the blend of just BT and cinna-Mostra was great. It was weird, the cold brew coffee on its own shows the tea that is added in it and the cinnamon is faint. Mixed with BT, the cinnamon comes through strong and the tea is hidden.

Thanks for letting us know how it went. I was hoping to get a magical invite to this and it makes me sad that there were no-shows.

Thanks for letting us know how it went. I was hoping to get a magical invite to this and it makes me sad that there were no-shows.

Likewise. I was even there Sunday to pick up beers and enjoy a flight. Really wish they would've had an alternate list or something.

Back