US - New England Boston area thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Don, Oct 2, 2013.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. franch

franch

Friday night in Worcester (Vermont all day) and Saturday night in Boston for a beer themed bachelor party. let’s do this bbs.

davey101 likes this.
  2. shelf_turd_ferguson

shelf_turd_ferguson

Boston people, I will be flying in on short notice in a few days.
    Tuesday afternoon I will be in the Andover, Canton (Trillium), and Boston area.

Are Aeronaut and Lamplighter the good new breweries to check out? Also, If anyone wants to meetup, drop me a pm.

rrrjjj likes this.
  3. juliolugo

juliolugo

I have never been to Aeronaut, Lamplighter is okay. If you're around Kendall Square, I'd do Cambridge Brewing Company and Meadhall instead. If you don't mind heading 20 min or so north, Idle Hands in Malden and Mystic in Chelsea for steins of Heide and Table Beer, respectively.

4. shelf_turd_ferguson

shelf_turd_ferguson

Hmmm, haven't liked the few Mystic beers I've had, but that was years ago.
    But I see CBC has Blunderbuss Barleywine - Rye Whiskey Barrel-aged 13% and Idle hands has a Peach wild ale. Thanks for those suggestions!
    TIA to any other suggestions from y'all as well.

5. juliolugo

juliolugo

Mystic definitely used to have some consistency issues in the past. However, they've got things quite dialed in these days, especially with Table Beer and Saison Renaud. They've also jumped aboard the hazy IPA train, if you're into that sort of thing (if you are, the DDH IPAs they have on tap right now are pretty fantastic).

CBC also just released their latest collab with Jester King, Bright Size Life (uses both breweries' house cultures). Barrel-aged wild ale with blueberries, preserved tangerines, and Meyer lemons. I haven't had it yet, but if it's anywhere as good as Cor Cordium, their last collab, it'll be delicious.

6. cyde

cyde

Treehouse is about 20 mins from m
    Someone take care of Nate please. He is the best of dudes.

7. bearsonacid

bearsonacid

I recommend mystic, idle hands and CBC too. If Lamplighter isn't out of your way it's a solid spot; a bit hipstery

shelf_turd_ferguson likes this.
  8. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

What's with this Jacks Abby offshoot, Springdale? They did a one-off shipment to Oregon so I grabbed a can of Yawp while in Bend. I thought the whole point of JA was lagers lagers lagers?

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  9. Resuin

Resuin Premium Supporter Contributor

Right, Jack's literally only brews lagers, so they made a new brand (in a brewery in the same building/right next door) that brews ales (focus on sours and IPAs).

10. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

I always figured they weren't interested in all that, so I was a little surprised to find a can of hazy juice next to the Hoponius Union in Bend.

11. BeersMorgan

BeersMorgan

I heard they created Springdale to avoid rebranding JA to take the word lager off everything. Probably just easier.

Best taproom around imo. Great variety of beers, pours straight from the barrel of stuff still aging, lots of different games, etc. Highly recommend if you ever escape the emerald city in a hot air balloon

davey101 and seedavid like this.
  12. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

My wife is in Boston regularly for work and brings me back JA beers often. Great stuff.

Maybe one day I’ll get to come with.

Jnorton00 and tikk like this.
  13. brother rebus

brother rebus

Bott’ls or just taps?
    Also, did it fly off in two hours or is it still reachable?
    Very interesting.

14. juliolugo

juliolugo

Bottles and draft. Still on tap at the brewpup and plenty of bottles still available to go as well.

brother rebus likes this.
  15. tikk

tikk

Making my pilgrimage back home to visit friends and family for the weekend. Staying in Braintree, any must stops nearby? Last time I came up Granite liquors, which was amazing when I moved out of town, was a shadow of its former self. I was also sad to see that the amazing spot at the Derby st shops closed.

Aiming for Trillium Canton Sunday, but may hit up Trillium Boston if we go to the Children's Museum.

Have the wife and kids with me, so not too much free time for beer related activities. So bottle shops are preferred, unless there is a new must stop brewery.

Thanks in advance.

davey101 likes this.
  16. juliolugo

juliolugo

Castle Island Brewing in Norwood is about 15 minutes from Trillium Canton. Large taproom, full pours and flights, cans to go. They still have cans of TWO, their (refreshingly adjunct-free) anniversary Russian imperial stout. Extremely solid. Looking forward to the barrel-aged version next anniversary. Widowmaker Brewing is relatively new and is in Braintree. Never been there, but I've been curious.

As far as bottle shops, there's a Craft Beer Cellar in Braintree. Might be worth a stop.

BeersMorgan and tikk like this.
  17. TommyShitt

TommyShitt

I'm usually pretty on top of my travel research but I didn't make these plans and work has been a little busy and I just haven't looked in to things like I usually do. Headed to Boston on Saturday, staying a night in Providence, then doing a few days on Cape Cod (staying in Chatham) and then capping off with a few nights in Boston. Don't need a full itinerary or anything, but suggestions are welcome. I've never been to the area and I've slacked off in doing food and drink research.

18. tehzachatak

tehzachatak

tikk likes this.
  19. RuckIt

RuckIt

Not much in the way of good beer down the cape in the Chatham area, so I'd recommend picking some up on your way there. Boston has tons of great options for food & drink, and I'd recommend Row 34, Tip Tap Room, Brewer's Fork, and the Trillium Greenway (taps & food trucks) as a few to check out.

On your way down to Providence, stop in to Trillium's Canton location for full pours and cans to-go. While down in Providence, I'd recommend Proclamation and Tilted Barn - the latter of which you may want to check out on social media to see when they're open / when they run out of beer. Last time I went on a weekend it was a shit show and cans ran out while there were still people in line... granted that was over a year ago and I assume they're brewing more by now?

Between Trillium / Proclomation / Tilted Barn and a stop at any of the Craft Beer Cellars, you should be good to go with beer. I'm sure there are other great bottle shops along your route / in Providence, but someone else can help you with those recommendations.

Enjoy your trip!

BeersMorgan and TommyShitt like this.
  20. TommyShitt

TommyShitt

Thank you very much!

RuckIt likes this.