US - New England Boston area thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Don, Oct 2, 2013.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. BeersMorgan

BeersMorgan

I've been twice. I may be off by a year on these but I think it was 2013 I got there 2 hours or so before opening and got in the initial group when doors opened and got a table. Then 2014 got there the same time and missed by about 30 people, they were doing 1 in 1 out and after another ~90mins I had to leave so I never ended up getting in.

Been at weddings or work for the last 3 though so no idea what it looks like now.

2. JCastle

JCastle

I went in 2013, lined up a couple hours before opening. Extremely packed and sweaty after a while, I did not enjoy it tbh.

3. Resuin

Resuin Premium Supporter Contributor

Thanks, I’ve heard it’s been crazy in the past. Yeah, first come first serve again this year.

4. into the white

into the white

LH used to do two tappings of zwanze. The last time (3 yrs ago now) I went much later in the day and got to try everything they had on tap including zwanze itself.

jarrgal and pjs234 like this.
  5. NAPO

NAPO

They Haven't hosted a Zwanze in over 2-3 years. Trillium was the host for the past few years.

6. bearsonacid

bearsonacid

The last time they hosted I think you had to be in line around 7 or 8am to get in. The early lineup might not be so bad if you weren't stuck in that bar for hours before they tap it at 3. Then you may be thinking, "well at least it's Zwanze day so there's bound to be a stellar tap list," and it's just mediocre AF.

JohnnyBags likes this.
  7. preluderl

preluderl

Okay guise, question.

On Thursday, October 25th I'll be darkening the doorstep of this fair city. We'll be driving down from Waterbury and hitting Tree House at opening, and then trekking toward Boston. We have a hotel for the night in Framingham, so I'll bookend the day at Jack's/Springdale. In between, I was considering driving out to Trillium in Canton, but I've been a couple of times and I have the most awesome Trillium mule, so I'm lucky enough that their beers are always easy to come by for me.

So my question is... Suggestions for somewhere in the area to go instead? Or should I just go to Trill because Trill is the thrill and there's no point in trying to resist it?

8. bearsonacid

bearsonacid

In the immediate area is Exhibit A and over a couple towns is Medusa. Both are good breweries. Medusa is more interesting to me because they don't focus on IPAs as much. There's also Armsby Abbey and/or The Dive to the west, that has HF and other good local taps. It's probably the same distance as driving to Trillium.

BeersMorgan and preluderl like this.
  9. Jnorton00

Jnorton00

Medusa is pretty mediocre I would say.

dubdrop and BeersMorgan like this.
  10. RuckIt

RuckIt

Based on your timeline, I might suggest Armsby after Tree House, and simply post up there for lunch and a few beverages, then head to Exhibit A / Jack's Abby / Springdale. Adding Medusa to that route wouldn't be more than a 10-15 minute detour, and their stuff ranges from mediocre to good.

The alternative, as you mentioned would be to head straight down to Canton, because Trillium. You'd probably get there around 3pm, assuming a stop for lunch after TH. I also assume you're not simply going to get cans and bounce, so you'll be at Trill for a couple hours. At that point you'll be squarely in the middle of rush hour traffic, which will probably add 20-30 minutes onto your return to Framingham. Percival and/or Castle Island aren't far from Trillium if you're looking for ticks (or to kill time), but both are similarly "mediocre to good".

If it was me, I'd go TH - Armsby - Trillium, and post up until after rush hour, assuming I've got a DD.

beerindex and preluderl like this.
  11. preluderl

preluderl

This is kinda what I'm leaning toward and yeah, my wife is on the trip and will likely drive that stretch. I'm more of the get shithammered at the brewery guy where she's more of the let me see what I can take back to the hotel to get shithammered there variety.

Thanks for the info!

jarrgal, BeersMorgan and RuckIt like this.
  12. bearsonacid

bearsonacid

I didn't drink their beers often but I remember some decent ones. They can be hit or miss and kind of settle out as average but I'm glad they don't rest on being another IPA brewery - even though Laser Cat is probably their most popular beer

13. KevinC

KevinC

I think I owe you some beers, so meet at Trillium? ;)

14. preluderl

preluderl

You owe me beers? Hot damn!

15. KevinC

KevinC

Probably, for the pickup awhile ago.

16. BeersMorgan

BeersMorgan

Has anyone come across Curmudgeons Better Half around Boston? I've been looking but haven't had any luck

tikk likes this.
  17. Auror

Auror

Seems like most of the deliveries I've seen have been north and west of the city/at Wegman's..

New Hampshire isn't getting it until Mid October, so who knows.

BeersMorgan likes this.
  18. DBA

DBA

Westwood Wegmans had a fair amount of it early this past week. Only place I've seen it.

BeersMorgan likes this.
  19. BeersMorgan

BeersMorgan

Perfect, that's on my way home from work, thanks!

20. ohnos

ohnos

Anyone at LH for zwanze today? Hoping to swing by a bit later on today but unsure of how shitshow-y it will be.