US - New England Boston area thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Don, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Don

Don

Wormtown is solid, be hoppy is pretty readily available and is worth a buy, but they don't really make anything people go wild for. They released Be hoppiest (triple ipa) not too lot ago but I haven't tried it.

seedavid likes this.
  2. HevvyMetalHippie

HevvyMetalHippie

Re: Wormtown

Norm
    Be Hoppy (fresh)
    Buddha Juice

ABSTRACTlegend, where else does your trip take you?

BeersMorgan and seedavid like this.
  3. ABSTRACTlegend

ABSTRACTlegend

Okay so, I fly out early tomorrow morning and then arrive around 8pm. It's going to just be my father and I. We are staying at the AC Hotel Boston North in Medford. I leave that following Monday. We are pretty much an open book on where we are going, but willing to go wherever, to be honest. Def going to try and hit most of the big breweries that our near our hotel but we are willing to drive out and hit up other spots. I would def love to meet up with you guys though at some point and share a beer.

4. Don

Don

Ohhh Medford and Milford are a different story, I'll see if my weekend plans allow me a trip up to Boston!

ABSTRACTlegend likes this.
  5. Auror

Auror

Oh interesting location. That's a good spot for beer tourism. You're a stones throw from Night Shift, Bone Up, and Short Path distilling. Even walkable if you don't mind a moderate walk across a windy, busy bridge.

You're also right on the orange line T at Wellington Station, which is nice. You can take the T to State or Downtown Crossing and walk to Trillium, although might be a long mile walk back from the place, carrying a box of bottles/growlers. Maybe cab/Uber/Lyft back to the hotel from there, or shortest would be to change to red line at Downtown Crossing and take it to South Station. No drinking at that Trillium location, but I do recommend Row 34 restaurant right next door for beer + seafood dinner.

Those downtown T stops also let's you explore the touristy stuff if you're into that. There's a few decent bars, but nothing unmissable. The Ginger Man, Tip Tap Room, Stoddards probably the best beer selections in the area, but Row 34 is better. Plenty of good restaurants, in general though, Let us know if you want restaurant recs.

You're only a few miles from Cambridge/Somerville. There's a nice crawl of Lord Hobo bar, Meadhall bar, Cambridge Brewing Company, Lamplighter Brewing you can do. There's also an Aeronaut Brewing, Bantam Cider, and Slumbrew crawl which is even closer to you, but the quality is generally better on the other crawl.

Idle Hands has a taproom the opposite way of the city, but fairly close by to you. Winter Hill Brewing is very close to you, but I haven't been so can't comment.

There's some good bars in other parts of the city, but unless you're exploring, I wouldn't really bother.

6. Auror

Auror

If you're willing to drive out, Tree House is about 1.5 hr with no traffic. They've got nice beers available today, but will likely sell out of them by Friday, although I have to believe this week might be a little slower for them, so who knows (Edit: They did sell out). Maybe take a detour to Armsby Abbey bar in Worcester for food/Hill Farmstead on tap on the way back if you do this.

Another possible trip is to Framingham for Jack's Abby/Springdale and Exhibit A. You can make it a loop by going south to Trillium Canton (for pints/samples along with take home) and hit Castle Island while you're at it. The super loop hits Barrel House Z and Dorchester Brewing on the way back into Boston. This would take all day on a Saturday though.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    Lefty Hyzer likes this.
  7. ABSTRACTlegend

ABSTRACTlegend

Dude, this is perfect! Thank you so much for the recs. Def gonna try and hit as much as possible!

MKtheGeneral likes this.
  8. ABSTRACTlegend

ABSTRACTlegend

Let me know, it's all good of you can't though

9. ABSTRACTlegend

ABSTRACTlegend

Auror at nightshift now, any good restaurant recs?

BeersMorgan likes this.
  10. JCastle

JCastle

Oliveira's and 8/10 are good. Brewer's Fork is really good but it's about a 10-15 min car ride from NS.

11. ABSTRACTlegend

ABSTRACTlegend

Thank you, we will check em out

12. ABSTRACTlegend

ABSTRACTlegend

[​IMG]
    This place is awesome

BeersMorgan and KevinC like this.
  13. ABSTRACTlegend

ABSTRACTlegend

Also I brought some minesweeper and vengeful barbarian from Alvarado and some moonraker if anyone cares

14. Don

Don

If we weren't gonna get hammered with 6-12 inches of snow tomorrow I coulda came up to Boston tomorrow :(

15. ABSTRACTlegend

ABSTRACTlegend

All good, I'm def gonna be back. Loving this place!

tikk likes this.
  16. ABSTRACTlegend

ABSTRACTlegend

Next time I go to Alvarado I'll get some cans with your name on it and send you a box

KevinC likes this.
  17. Don

Don

[​IMG]

18. ABSTRACTlegend

ABSTRACTlegend

[​IMG]
    I got you, bro Namath

19. Don

Don

Thanks
    [​IMG]

20. KevinC

KevinC

Alvarado is the shit. Wish I had been working at trillium today. Glad you're enjoying Boston!