US - New England Boston area thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Don, Oct 2, 2013.

1. rhino8888

rhino8888

NERAX!

chefduff2 likes this.
  2. abagofit

abagofit

Nerax is not as good as EBF in my opinion.

CBC was a lot of fun and arguably better than EBF, especially if you like sours.

rhino8888 likes this.
  3. HevvyMetalHippie

HevvyMetalHippie

Lol NERAX is a McPoyle family reunion with warm, flat beer and a cloud of farts.

4. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Not Patrick

I'm flying into Boston on Sunday afternoon, flying out Monday evening.

Is there something (just 1 suggestion for Sunday dinner) near the Harvard Square area that would have something local and great? Sorry, no time to do research -- I'll happily go to Yelp if this is a frequently-asked question.

5. tikk

tikk

It's been a few years since I've been to Harvard Square, but I remember Russell House Tavern was a great spot to eat, drinks were great as well. Not sure if it's what you have in mind and I'm sure you can get better recommendations from people still in the area.

6. JCastle

JCastle

Russel House, Beat Brasserie, Sinclair, Alden and Harlow, Waypoint are all right there in Harvard Square. A&H is my favorite, Waypoint is from the same owner but I haven't been.

BeersMorgan and tylerk88 like this.
  7. tylerk88

tylerk88

IMHO Alden & Harlow is the best restaurant in Harvard Sq. Their tap list can sometimes be underwhelming, but they have a good wine program and the food is top-notch. Plenty of places nearby to have a drink, my favorite of which is Park Restaurant. Or, you're not far from Lord Hobo or even Cambridge Brewing Company.

BeersMorgan and rhino8888 like this.
  8. bearsonacid

bearsonacid

Alden & Harlow is my favorite harvard sq restaurant too. Waypoint is great as well; same chef and bar manager but focused more on local seafood and vegetables. Cocktail list features absinthe. That guy is a magician behind the bar.

rhino8888 likes this.
  9. rhino8888

rhino8888

+1 on Alden & Harlow, Russel House and Park Restaurant. Waypoint also has excellent food. The tap list is small but mostly local and well curated. Last time I was there they had taps from Oxbow, Mystic, Mayflower. All of these options are pretty upscale.

The Lamplighter Brewery taproom is not far from Harvard Sq (a little over a mile). And if you are looking for something more laid back with a pub atmosphere, Cambridge Common is not far and has a large taplist with local options.

HevvyMetalHippie and tylerk88 like this.
  10. BurgerTime

BurgerTime

I know this thread has been getting a bunch of this lately, but here goes...

I'm flying into Boston Sunday for the Patriots/Steelers game. We won't have much time for anything before catching the train to Gillette from Back Bay (Salty Pig for a quick lunch and a few beers?). We'll be there during the day Monday before flying out at 5PM. I'd love to hear some suggestions for where to spend Monday drinking and eating. Also interested in recommendations for bottle shops, too (flying home on Southwest :)). Or should I just hit Trillium/Row 34 and be done with it?

SpentBrain likes this.
  11. bearsonacid

bearsonacid

There's fort point market and a craft beer cellar in that neighborhood for anything else you'd want beyond Trillium. It would be pretty easy to drink/eat/buy bottles all in Fort Point. I like day drinking at Cambridge Brewing Co.

12. BurgerTime

BurgerTime

Thanks for the response! I wish I was staying longer in Boston so that I had more time to check out the city and surrounding areas. Psyched to at least grab some Trillium, hit up Fort Point Market, and grub at Row 34 though.

BeersMorgan and KevinC like this.
  13. KevinC

KevinC

Bee's Knees might have some things that Fort Point and CBC don't. It's not far so worth a look, at least.

14. BurgerTime

BurgerTime

15. KevinC

KevinC

16. JohnnyBags

JohnnyBags

Row 34 has bottles of Oxbow Crossfade 500ml for $32 - holy fucking shit, talk about a ripoff.

BravoDawg likes this.
  17. InfinityonTrial

InfinityonTrial

Any of you bros able to grab a 4-pack of PM Dawn, to be reimbursed with $$ or beer or something at Canton next weekend? Was going up tomorrow but have to push it a weekend and don't want to miss that beer.

tikk likes this.
  18. axeman9182

axeman9182

Did I see that Cambridge has bottled Blunderbuss?

tikk likes this.
  19. tikk

tikk

Yes they did.

seedavid and rhino8888 like this.
  20. axeman9182

axeman9182

Yeah, gonna need some of that in my life.

rhino8888 and tikk like this.