Bottle shops in Asheville NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lasering

Reaction score
Headed to a cabin in the woods out side of asheville for thanksgiving weekend. Looking for good bottle shops. Breweries to visit. Anything fun to do. Also maybe an IP trade for some ccb regulars since I will be bring them anyways.

All my friends are going to Asheville over Thanksgiving - except me, because I'm flying out to Oregon for a week. Too bad I wish we could have met up!

Wicked Weed should be #1 on your hit list for anything. They are doing some amazing things right now with hoppy beers, saisons, and barrel-aging. A few people have scoffed at me for this, but I called them the "Hill Farmstead of the southeast", and while they might not be at that level yet (or ever), I think they are trending in the right direction. I also told that to Walt, one of the brewers, and I'm pretty sure he blushed. He was also kind enough to give me a sample of their watermelon saison before it had officially been released.

For shops there are Appalachian Vintner and Bruisin' Ales. Most people seem to prefer Bruisin' Ales, maybe because it's downtown and has that "small bottle shop" feel, but I like App Vintner better. It's a mile south down Biltmore, has a huge indoor space that's easy to browse, and there's a good tap selection that you can drink while you shop. Usually something barrel-aged on draft from Foothills or another NC brewery (at least, there has been every time I've been there). I find the selection at both stores roughly comparable; each will have some stuff the other doesn't. Vintner is also where I first got into mead, so it holds a special place in my heart for that.

There's a new brewery called Burial which is getting a lot of positive attention and I have yet to try, but I'll be sure to hit it on my next trip. A lot of people like Wedge, and it's in a very cool, hip location with lots of art studios around it, but I found the beer fairly mediocre personally. Nice spot in the summer though, all the girls come off the river in their bikinis and hang out. Also very dog-friendly.

Plenty of good restaurants/bars depending on what you like. Trappe Door is the most well-known of the bars and the selection is good, but I think it rides a bit on reputation. Jack of the Wood/Laughing Seed is one of my favorites. Tupalo Honey is a tourist trap, but does make a good breakfast.

In all seriousness, these days when I go to Asheville I just park my butt at Wicked Weed and stay there. The food there is fantastic as well; try the trout sandwich if it's available.

Awesome info! Thanks! I have 3 days in the area so I should have plenty of time to hit up all the good places. I was excited for wicked weed and now I'm even more excited. What are the Growler laws in NC? Can I bring my 32oz growlers?

Awesome info! Thanks! I have 3 days in the area so I should have plenty of time to hit up all the good places. I was excited for wicked weed and now I'm even more excited. What are the Growler laws in NC? Can I bring my 32oz growlers?

The growler laws have changed recently, although I don't know if Wicked Weed (or any of the other breweries) fill off-brand growlers or make you use theirs. There's also a new place open called Asheville Growler which will do growler fills of anything they have (the new law allowed places such as this to exist). I'd bring them and see what happens. There's certainly no problem with filling that size.

Is BCBS being released in NC? If so is it going to be on tap anywhere possibly?

Hey Lasering, when are you going to be in the Asheville area? Looks like I'm going to join my friends there on Wednesday night and head to Charlotte (where I'm flying out from) the next day. If you're in Asheville tomorrow let's meet up at Wicked Weed for some beers.

This also goes for any other peeps in Asheville.

Hey Lasering, when are you going to be in the Asheville area? Looks like I'm going to join my friends there on Wednesday night and head to Charlotte (where I'm flying out from) the next day. If you're in Asheville tomorrow let's meet up at Wicked Weed for some beers.

This also goes for any other peeps in Asheville.
I'm driving up on Thursday.

Lasering, don't know if it interests you or not but both Appalachian Vintner and Bruisin' Ales are releasing BCBS on Black Friday, per their Facebook pages.

I am going to be in Asheville Thursday-Sun as well. Looks like I have a few places to hit.

bumpity bump for any updates. does wicked weed have anything to-go? i'll be in asheville for a wedding fri-mon. also, which bars (besides wicked weed, which i am already planning on going to) have good food? as i will be with people who couldn't give two shits about drinking most things.

Jack-of-the-Wood has a good full menu and usually plenty of stuff on tap. Just have to watch out for there being a cover charge due to a band playing or something, but that's often only later in the night. Trappe Door has food although I've personally never had anything other than some snacks there.

Wicked Weed just did a double bottle release this past weekend. It's possible they will still have some bottles left (Genesis sour blonde and Bretticent brett saison), and if not there's a good chance App Vintner or Bruisin will.

Apparently there's yet another new brewery called Twin Leaf that I've heard some decent things about, haven't checked them out yet though. I seem to be less impressed with Burial (and really, all the non-Wicked Weed breweries in Asheville) than most are, although I do like some of their beers. Wicked Weed is legitimately one of my favorite breweries in the country though.

Thirsty Monk - Best Bar in town, they do have food but it is mainly a bar. You will have your best selection of beers here, and should have beers for all beer drinkers. Definitely worth the trip.

Barley's - Decent pizza, and normally a pretty good selection of beers.

If you are looking for high end food and really good mixed drinks go to The Admiral (yes, you will think you are walking into a dive bar) or Bull and the Beggar (next door to a brewery, The Wedge). Another great restaurant in town is Curate.

Asheville is very much about promoting their local beers and local NC beers. Wherever you go you will find standard Asheville beers. Most of the better breweries (WW, Burial, etc.) you can only get their beers at the brewery.

Take this with a grain of salt as I think Wicked Weed is mediocre at best, but the APA and IPA I had at Twin Leaf were borderline undrinkable and Burial has been almost as bad the three or four time I've been in there, after a good first visit when they opened. My recommendation for food at a brewery is getting take out at white duck taco and going to the Wedge.

Junction is a good place to eat with a few taps that are usually good, also near the Wedge. Sunny Point is more moderatley priced, great brunch (be prepared to wait on Sunday), and has a few taps with local stuff as well.

TNGabe what did you think of Hi-Wire (if you've been there)? I enjoyed the coffee stout being a huge coffee-head, but otherwise didn't care for any of their beers. Burial's Skillet stout is pretty good but there are plenty of better examples of the style. I don't really care for their saisons much, unlike WW's which I really enjoy.

So you like Wedge? I thought Iron Rail was a really mediocre IPA, and their Flanders brown or whatever it was disappointed me a lot (compared to most of WW's sours). Different strokes for different folks as always though. :)

TNGabe what did you think of Hi-Wire (if you've been there)? I enjoyed the coffee stout being a huge coffee-head, but otherwise didn't care for any of their beers. Burial's Skillet stout is pretty good but there are plenty of better examples of the style. I don't really care for their saisons much, unlike WW's which I really enjoy.

So you like Wedge? I thought Iron Rail was a really mediocre IPA, and their Flanders brown or whatever it was disappointed me a lot (compared to most of WW's sours). Different strokes for different folks as always though. :)

Haven't been to Hi-Wire. I don't like breweries with thematic naming. Wedge isn't great, it's just the only place I like to go in AVL, although this time of year I don't enjoy it as much since it gets so crowded. Iron Rail is a strange beer, it tastes like they use chocolate malt in it to me. I've heard the 'Flanders' beer was terrible, or at least misnamed. I'm a big fan of Golem (most years) and my wife love's the raspberry stout, although those are both fall/winter seasonals. I was really dissapointed in their BdG, but I shouldn't have expected much from it I guess.

Honestly, once the Sierra tap room opens, I expect I'll just drive the extra half hour and skip asheville altogether.

Haven't been to Hi-Wire. I don't like breweries with thematic naming. Wedge isn't great, it's just the only place I like to go in AVL, although this time of year I don't enjoy it as much since it gets so crowded. Iron Rail is a strange beer, it tastes like they use chocolate malt in it to me. I've heard the 'Flanders' beer was terrible, or at least misnamed. I'm a big fan of Golem (most years) and my wife love's the raspberry stout, although those are both fall/winter seasonals. I was really dissapointed in their BdG, but I shouldn't have expected much from it I guess.

Honestly, once the Sierra tap room opens, I expect I'll just drive the extra half hour and skip asheville altogether.

I have strongly disliked every Wedge beer I have had except Golem. At least we can agree on that.

I am much more excited about New Belgium than I am Sierra Nevada. Other than BA Bigfoot, I can't remember buying or drinking a SN beer in a long time.

hit wicked weed (twice), thirsty monk, jack in the wood--all very cool. thirsty monk was fantastic and i wish i had stayed longer--had a ton of NB stuff on tap, including 2013 la folie and le terroir. white duck taco was fantastic. had a great brunch at blackbird sunday morning, too. thanks for all the tips!

Back