Brew Vault down? Alternatives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillRunForBeer1

Reaction score
I've been using Brew Vault from Tap Leap Software to track my cellar, and over the last couple of days I've noticed error messages when I try to update. Any changes that I make don't hold. The website for Brew Vault is returning server not found errors. I've also found that I can no longer export my cellar file to email. Tap Leap has another product for tracking a wine cellar, and the web site for that is down as well.

So, I'm beginning to think that my days of using Brew Vault may have come to an end. I have a fairly recent .csv backup file. I'd like to find someplace that I can successfully import my cellar backup, so that I don't have to type everything in from scratch. What's out there for cellar tracking software that will take a .csv file from Brew Vault and import it? Has anyone done this before? What other options are there? Google Sheets?

CellarHQ has became SOOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOW since they're last major update. I've transfered everything recently to http://www.beercellar.me/ even though I really didn't want. No regrets today. I loved CellarHQ, just a shame it became so sluggish :(
I just remember it from when it first launched. I keep track of my cellar by looking at it, saying to my self "Yup, about 2 bottles less than the last time I came down here," grab a bottle or two, and walk away.

I just remember it from when it first launched. I keep track of my cellar by looking at it, saying to my self "Yup, about 2 bottles less than the last time I came down here," grab a bottle or two, and walk away.
No stress! I was just asking because I was super happy with it at first, then it became so slow and frustrating. Having over 400 beers in my cellar, it's unacceptable that everytime I click the "add", "drink" or "delete" button, it takes nearly 5 secondes to complete the action. Missing the good old days.

Josh here (I developed http://www.beercellar.me), and just FYI, while it's been a while since I said I was working on an update, that update is in fact still in progress. I'd say about 2/3rds of the work is done, but life and general procrastination have gotten in the way of me finishing it. However I'll still be doing so.

I'll solicit some beta testers when the new version is in a good enough place. The big areas of improvement for the new version will be: hopefully faster (refactored a ton of code), user messaging, much quicker cellar management (no more reloading the page on delete/update of beers), and a mild visual refresh (though nothing too jarring, the interface is still totally familiar relative to the current live site).

Also have other features I really want to add that probably won't make the initial revamp, but specifically, I want better search options, user moderation of beer/brewery data (to eliminate duplicates, etc.), and an improved CSV import matching algorithm.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update on BeerCellar.me. I just checked it out again today. I like that it is a website instead of an app, and therefore accessible from both mobile and pc. I also like that it is fairly easy (with 3 letter search) to add new beers. The look/feel is clean and well focused. What I would like to see is additional fields.... A place to store information about the format (size), location (beyond just fridge/cellar) and price, to name a few. If you decide to add this, please contact me. I would be happy to beta test. As it is, I think I might loose too much valuable information by importing my .csv.

This is coming in the update; it's not there yet, so you've not yet missed anything :)

No, I'm saying that I already can sort by brewery. When I'm in my cellar, there are two options above where the beers are listed: Name/Brewery. When I click name, it sorts by beer name. When I click brewery, it sorts by brewery. I guess that is where I am confused. Anyway, not a big deal, love the site!

Yup, I also tried a few of the sites before giving up and just using Google Docs. Two big reasons:

1) I know this is a sign of having too much beer, but my doc is organized around box / location which makes it much easier to find beers and to update / reconcile the inventory. From there I can create pivot tables organized around breweries / individual beers, but it's pretty critical for me to know exactly where each bottle is supposed to be.

2) Again, too much beer, but being able to track additional fields like value of the beer is useful for insurance purposes.

Yeah, box/location is important to me too. And though I hadn't considered doing so for insurance purposes, I like to track what I paid for the bottles that I bought, for trading purposes. I guess I really need to learn how to use google docs better.

No, I'm saying that I already can sort by brewery. When I'm in my cellar, there are two options above where the beers are listed: Name/Brewery. When I click name, it sorts by beer name. When I click brewery, it sorts by brewery. I guess that is where I am confused. Anyway, not a big deal, love the site!

Oh I mean an account-based setting for default sort is coming, so you'll be able to have your cellar default to either beer or brewery sort on initial load.

I'll make a note to think about a "box" implementation in the future, e.g., user definable categories mapping to real world spaces under which you could categorize the beers contained therein. This won't make it into the upcoming revamp because it adds more complexity than I want to deal with in an already complex update, but I do think it's a good idea longer term.

Back