Brewing an Ale for the Macro Lager Fan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nebuck

Reaction score
I've been asked to brew some beer for my cousin's wedding. Her husband's a Miller guy. I've never brewed a really light beer before, and I don't have lagering equipment, but I was thinking about brewing a light blonde ale with just some 2-row and maybe corn to lighten it up. Use a super-clean yeast like a kolsch strain or something. And maybe jazz it up with a touch of some interesting hop, like Mandarina Bavaria or something. Anyone have any ideas/recipes/advice for me?

I used to make a simple Kolsch before I got lagering and it was always a big hit with non-craft drinkers. Same with a pale wheat ale I've made a few times.

I've been asked to brew some beer for my cousin's wedding. Her husband's a Miller guy. I've never brewed a really light beer before, and I don't have lagering equipment, but I was thinking about brewing a light blonde ale with just some 2-row and maybe corn to lighten it up. Use a super-clean yeast like a kolsch strain or something. And maybe jazz it up with a touch of some interesting hop, like Mandarina Bavaria or something. Anyone have any ideas/recipes/advice for me?

Does she like craft beer?

Update: I brewed it a week ago, basically following the Cream of 3 Crops recipe that WesM63 recommended. I just split that recipe in half since I wanted just 5 gal for my first foray: 7 lbs 2-row, 2 lbs flaked corn, 0.5 lb flaked rice.

Single-infusion mash at about 152F. Collected about 7.5 gal and boiled for 90 minutes.

For hops, I added 1 oz of Crystal at 60 minutes and 1 oz of Motueka at flameout.

Fermenting in the low 60s with 34/70 per the recommendation of reverseapachemaster. Having never used a lager yeast before, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I got some decent airlock activity in the first week, though not as vigorous as I am accustomed to from ale yeasts. The owner of my LHBS said that he's turned around beers in two weeks with 34/70, but that they will continue to develop if you let them lager longer.

Took a sample last night, and it tasted great. Will let it continue to lager for probably a month or so before I keg it. But, judging from the sample I tried, I think this is a winner. I'll probably brew a double batch next time and dry hop 5 gal of it and leave the other as is. Hopefully by then I'll have my keezer up and running and will be able to have more than one beer on tap at a time.

Back