Brewing Grisettes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agrippin

Reaction score
Didn't see a thread on this style yet, feel free to point me in the direct if one exists.

I've had a few commercial examples of grisette but they tend to be all over, from saccharomyces only fermentation to mixed culture (Side Project). Curious to what anyone has done or experimented with. Planning on brewing a couple batches in the next month or so. Here's the recipe I'm trying out:

Malt
4.5 lbs American Pils
1 lb White Wheat
0.5 lb Flaked Wheat
0.25 lb Acidulated Malt

Hops
1oz Saaz at 30min
1oz Saaz at 15min

Planning on using a mixed culture to get a bit of tartness but keeping it tame with around 18 IBUs.

I too have been wanting to brew a Grisette.... Interested to hear of any past brews people here have done.

Mine is an adapted witbier recipe, I call it a Belgian farmhouse wit cause people here would have no idea if I called it a grisette.

Approximate recipe aiming for 9 Plato, fermented with Belle Saison for about 4.3% abv:

65% Pilsner
25% Raw white wheat
5% Carapils
5% Oats

15 IBU of Saaz
1 part crushed coriander (about 10 grams for 5 gallons)
3 parts orange peel (about 30 grams)

Dry and extremely crushable, I've been playing around with the recipe for a few years and I think this is very close to the final version that I plan on commercializing.

Didn’t they retire that strain? Was bummed when heard that, really liked that yeast!
I have no proof but I believe Yeast Bay's Saison Blend II has WLP585 as one of its components. I'm a huge fan, when fermented at room temp it produces slight tartness and tons of fruitiness without being too dry. Would definitely use it commercially for my grisette if I could.

In America it seems like every brewery is just making a 3-4% saison and calling it Grisette.

That's the gist I've been coming to. Thanks for the links, I think I stumbled upon a couple of them but haven't read them all. Definitely want to make something that isn't just a low abv saison. I guess I won't complain if that is what it turns into, though.

The latest issue of Zymurgy has an article on it that goes through the history of it along with the differences from saison.

If you haven't read Farmhouse Ales: Culture and Craftsmanship in the European Tradition I highly recommend it!

Back